Movies Like Herbie Goes Bananas

My second favourite Herbie film
deano
deano

March 5, 2007
This is the corniest and least funny of Disney's Love Bug series.
Dean !

January 5, 2007
This is similar to the first, if you liked that you'll love this to.
garyX
garyX

May 20, 2007
Tedious kid's stuff in which the living VW beetle goes south of the border and has a series of unfunny misadventures. Anyone over the age (or IQ) of 8 shouldn't bother.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
all the herbie flicks were decent
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 15, 2006
Crazy madcap Herbie adventure, enjoyable but not much else.
Lee K

June 26, 2008
I think i saw this in the school gymnasium back in the day but im not sure.. oh well
DrLappos
DrLappos

July 30, 2007
I loved the herbie series even if they were all the same...
November 18, 2008
I was heartbroken when I found out the "real" Herbie was just an inanimate prop. Thanks Disney, for the memories.
MarilynsDisciple
October 7, 2007
THIS version, the original, rules. It stars Charles Martin Smith. Eat shit Lindsay Lohan! ...Ok, I don't have much of a problem with Lindsay, I have a problem with the new movie!
Astrotrain
April 30, 2007
This ins the least and funniest of the Herbie movies. There is really no excitement, well except when Herbie becomes a Bull Fighter, other then that, is just 90 minutes worth of South of the Border scenes, and plot trying to make people laugh. Blah!
jessmjordan
November 10, 2006
well herbis is an original car but i mean cars do not really do these things but it does look funny so i will give it a..................................
January 5, 2013
Sorry, Herb. Looks like you hit a roadblock this time :-(.
January 1, 2013
1 and a half is a kind rating. This film isn't great - the storyline is dull, unoriginal and Herbie doesn't seem to be the same bug you could love.
moviebuff18cab
June 18, 2006
HERBIE GOES BANANAS (1980)
garfield2710
September 26, 2010
You can only do so many jokes about cars before the whole thing becomes tired and familiar. This movie used the same worn out tired formula out the first 3 movies that becomes really old, very fast. I laughed maybe twice, throughout the entire film. The title doesn't make sense at first, until the very end which was a lame attempt at a joke. The lamest and weakest of the Herbie francise.
gillianren
March 28, 2010
Herbie Movies Don't Have to Make Sense!

Okay, so we're not talking high art. This, I grant you. I'm not entirely sure it's even a good movie; it's one of the ones that kind of haunts the borders. Once again, it's possible that my nostalgia is overtaking my taste. It wouldn't be the first time. It is also true that Herbie movies without Dean Jones are inferior. It is further true that, by 1980, live action Disney was well and truly slumped, a state from which it has still not yet recovered. (Their animation unit picked up, but the live action?) I mean, there is the obvious [i]TRON[/i] exception, and we'll see how well that sequel works out, but by and large, the clamour for family programming seems to have included taking away the real nature of it--which is that adults can enjoy it, too.

Our beloved Herbie has ended up on the scrapheap. Jim Douglas has, against all expectation, actually put the thing in a dump. He has also given the car to his nephew, Pete (Stephen W. Burns), and his best friend/mechanic D.J. (Charles Martin Smith), though they have to go to a Central American scrapheap to get it. Then, logically, they ship it by extravagant ocean liner down to the Grand Primeo, a car race in Brazil which Jim Douglas has assured them the car can win. Hilarity ensues, not least with young Mexican street urchin Paco (Joaquin Garay III). There's stowing away and being chased by evil men in search of Inca gold, which is somehow in Mexico, and a crazy ship's captain played by Harvey Korman and crazy Cloris Leachman and her frankly unnecessary studious niece, Melissa (Elyssa Davalos). And stuff.

It's pretty dippy, really, and there's no reason to think it would be otherwise. We're talking late-period Disney, after all. And okay, yeah, even the early stuff isn't exactly Proust, but there's a point at which they stopped expecting anyone with half a brain to get into the movies. It's really disappointing that we have a choice between so dumb no thinking adult has an interest in them and so mature that it's frankly inappropriate for little kids. Did we lose the balance somewhere? Did we miss it? I mean, I like dippy kids' movies to a certain extent, but there's a certain expectation I go into a movie with, and frankly, most movies today don't meet them. It's disappointing, and it can't just be disappointing to me.

It's also funny that, in the first movie, the Chinese businessman hides behind the racist expectations people have of him, but here, we actually do have something touching those racist expectations. Most of the natives we see are unpleasant and greasy. The only one who seems to speak decent English is Paco, and he's a scummy little pickpocket who's just winning enough to make us forget that it's his own bloody fault everything goes wrong. (Okay, admittedly he does save antiquities from thieves, who may well melt the thing down, but still.) It's alarming, really, that twelve years changed so much--and in the wrong direction. The Mexico we see here is the worst kind of banana republic, no pun intended, where calling the police isn't an option until the last ten minutes.

I'm quite sure this is the least of the original Herbie saga, though it's been quite some time since I've seen the third installment. It's certainly not my first choice for how to spend a leisurely afternoon. We did enjoy it, and there are some laughs to it. I could give you quite a long list of better live action Disney--and, yes, they'd pretty much all predate with the one obvious exception. It's also, oddly, the movie where he gets called Herbie least. The kid spends the whole movie calling him "Ocho"--which I heard, the first time I saw the movie, as "Old Joe"--which apparently is a Spanish pun that I didn't catch because it's never explained. He's called Herbie once at the beginning, and then he's either Ocho or "the car."
jazza923
January 13, 2007
4.5/10. Disney is really running out of ideas with The Herbie/Love Bug movies. This is a very feeble attempt to capitalize on the success of the earlier films. Bad script, the acting is below average even for a Disney family film. Only mildly entertaining and surprisingly long for a film of this nature.