Here on Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Here on Earth Reviews

December 23, 2008
This was really a sweet movie.
February 9, 2007
So the girl was dating an jerk and then fell for a prick. I didn't really get this movie.
½ January 26, 2007
A surgary tale about young love. I liked it.
Nate Z.
½ February 23, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]The story 'Earth' portrays is nothing groundbreaking: new guy arrives in town, sweeps girl off her feet because he's "different" than the rest, earns ire from mean boyfriend, and eventually gets the girl. It's been the plot from everything from 'Lady and the Tramp' to 'Edward Scissorhands'. But even though the theme is based in predictability, the creators of 'Here on Earth' seem to have lazily put forth an execution.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]The movie and its screenwriter have their logic completely reversed. The girl's boyfriend is supposed to be the wife-beating snotty jerk, and the new kid is supposed to be the nice sensitive "different" guy. But in 'Earth', Klein is the snotty Richy Rich whose colors never change, and Josh Hartnett is the dependable and established nice guy boyfriend. What kind of way is it to build dramatic sympathy toward a character who flights from a nice caring guy to have sex with an arogant newbie as soon as he arrives?! The structure of this tragic tale is no way to build drama, only contempt for the female lead.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Whatever high-minded message 'Earth' is hopelessly aiming for is destroyed by dialogue so cheesy that it could be considered a side dish at a local Taco Bell. By the time Klein starts naming Leelee's breasts after different states in the Union the movie loses what little credibility it had - or thought it did. ("Massachusettes welcomes you") It's a wonder most of these young actors can even say what they do with a straight face.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=#8b0000][i]Spoilers follow as I make fun of this movie.[/i][/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Just when you're wondering why the hell Leelee is doing the things she does and it looks as if we may reach a conclusion or insight - [i]BAM![/i] - she has cancer and dies. This ranks up with "it was all just a dream" as one of the cheapest ways to sneek out of an uncomfortable or unexplainable position. It turns out our Joan of Arc bumped her knee and somehow that has exploded into unstoppable cancer. The doctor tells the distraught family members that they always suspected this could happen. Like hell! Everytime I stub my damn toe it never crosses my mind I've contracted cancer.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'Here on Earth' is supposed to be the tear-jerker for the teeny bopper audience out there; the 'Love Story' for the under twenty. But the only thing wringing from this formulaic clunker of a sob story is a healthy outpouring of sap, moral high ground, and a warning to always wear knee pads.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: C- [/color][/font]
½ May 31, 2008
Was a huge favorite of mine in high school and then slowly went down the list as I grew up and grasped a greater appreciation for film making. It has a great soundtrack, an amazing cast of characters, and is filled with both weepy scenes and laugh-out-loud scenes. One thing I never did understand is why at the end Samantha's character picked the rich-boy jerk over her childhood best friend Jasper whom she loved her whole life (played by cutie Josh Hartnett.) Jasper truly cared about her no matter what, even if her happiness meant her being with another guy. You don't meet a guy like that every day. She should have been with Jasper! But his character is what makes this movie worth watching!!! SPOILER: This is almost a carbon copy of A Walk to Remember.
½ January 30, 2011
In the annals of romantic drama films, "Here on Earth" is a slightly watered down, mildly acting-challenged film. I do enjoy Chris Klein, Josh Hartnett, and Leelee Sobieski in their parts, but they just do not come off as sincere and noteworthy than say Shane West and Mandy Moore, or Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. The ending is a bit laughable (a knee injury that becomes life threatening), but overall, I believe people get out of the film what they need. Where is Nicholas Sparks when you need him?
divinetrash
June 4, 2009
LEELEE SOBIESKI DIES IN THIS MOVIE. If that's a spoiler for you, then congratulations, you're a retarded person. Also, Leelee Sobieski has exactly one expression during that entire movie and that is that she's about to fall asleep at any moment. Also, Leelee Sobieki's character is so stupid that she cheats on her boyfriend at the store where her boyfriend's best friend work and then she's completely shocked to get caught. The only real surprise during the entire movie is that Nicholas Sparks's name is nowhere to be found.
½ July 29, 2009
Basically A Walk to Remember meets Pretty in Pink with a little bit of the formula from The Defiant Ones (among others) is basically how you can sum up this completely unoriginal film, that sadly misuses a bunch of really great actors. Simply put a spoiled rich kid gets in a race with his this poor farm boy, the aftermath of which sees the town's local diner destroyed and the two boys facing jail time until they are forced to work together to rebuild the diner. Enter the farm boy's girlfriend who has eyes for the rich kid, who slowly opens up to the girl and they quickly become lovers, which cause a stir in the community, and after it is all said and done and the two boys become friends, somewhat. We find out the girl is very sick, what happens next? Well your either gonna have to watch the film for yourself, or read the first sentence of the review and figure it out on your own.
½ May 29, 2008
VERY sad, but good movie. Lots of stars in this one, and the message is a good one!
January 14, 2008
Now first of all, I'm a sucker when it comes to good romance films and this is one of them. I don't particularly like Chris Klein, nor Josh Hartnett but the character's are so well developed that you forgot how much Klein has bad looks.
P is for Predictable, but also Priceless. We've seen this type of love story for years and years but it'll always be timeless - that's the whole beauty of romance!
Watch if you're a fan of sappy and melancholic films. Or just because you're a hopeless romantic.
iLeo
½ December 16, 2007
Great film!
½ November 12, 2014
½ January 11, 2012
This movie reminds me a lot of A Walk To Remember but it's not as good, but it's pretty close. Okay so what this movie is pretty much about is two guys who are in love with the same girl Samantha(LeeLee Sobieski) but in a differnt way. Kelley (Chris Klein) is a rich kid and Jaspier(Josh Hartnett) is a farmer and both of them get in a dumb fight and it ends with them somehow burning down Samantha's family diner. So they get in trouble with the law and are sentenced to rebuild the diner with some help from the town and in doing so Kelley falls in love with Samantha and Jaspier is in love with her also and cares about her alot. But Samantha falls for Kelley and in doing so it tears Jaspier apart but sence he loves her he encourages it by the end. Everyone that knows Samantha is agaist her going out with Kelley. But still she continues to see him because it's true love. Near the end of the movie you find out that Samantha has cancer and it's spread through out her body so she's going to die. So this is when Jaspier becomes the bigger man I guess and encourages Kelley to go see Samantha and just wants to be a really good friend to he with the time she has left. Then the ending that I dont want to ruin for you even though I kind of already did but anyways another typical love story. LeeLee's preformence is really great and then Chris and Josh's are just okay. It really shows how love can change things and make life really wonderful and also how one person can effect so many.
December 1, 2011
it would have been better if the "plot twist" came out earlier on in the movie. the end was too rushed because of it
September 27, 2011
Picture, if you will, a blender full of every teen movie cliche EVER. Then imagine some Hollywood bigwig putting the lid on the whole mess and hitting the button. This movie would be the result. I guess if you're in the mood for something uber-sappy and don't mind groaning every 30 seconds and fighting the urge to vomit from all the syrupy sweetness, this isn't too bad. But this isn't the kind of thing I could watch more than once.
½ June 26, 2008
Downright one of the hands-down worst movies I've ever seen. You should be shot if you like this film. I can't believe I waited 10 years to see this atrocious film. Holy crap it was shit. The only part that was good was making fun of it for 2 hours and even then it wears on your patience for all it's God awfulness. The other parts to look forward to include, Chris Klein going shirtless and some of the cinematography....that's about it. The script, plot, characters, and acting were f*ing terrible, swaying between predictable, ludicrious, and overdramatic. That soundtrack was garbage teenage angst from the 90's. They butchered Robert Frost's poem, nothing at all like a Nicholas Spark romance if that's what you were expecting. Kind of like A Walk to Remember but 100 times shittier and more soap operish. Chris Klein has to work at being that bad of an actor and Sobieski sounds like a man, almost seems as though the actors are competing to be worse than the others. So many terrible parts where to start-how about the state naming love scene that goes on to list all 50 states, we get the point asshole, you just ruined what could've been romantic. How about Klein playing hide and seek and turning into a melodramatic story about his mom's suicide or the part where she gets knee cancer? Omg I can't even imagine something this horrible and I've seen a lot of bad movies.
January 23, 2011
This film would've been much better had Soieski not been in it. I don't think she's pretty..In fact, she creeps me out. Part of the acting in this film was over done, but the plot certainly kept me guessing. I wish I knew which romance film had the twist that this one does because 9 out of 10 romance films have the same twist and now any other film with the same twist just fall by the wayside - it's all become trite. The simple fact that this application states that "A Walk to Remember" is a similar film to this one is a dead giveaway...hahaha "dead"...
May 8, 2010
Liked the story, but something was missing from it. Would have chosen Josh Hartnett's character over Chris Klein's any day.
May 4, 2010
Bleh. I forgot to review this movie when I said I would. Anyway, first off don't watch this movie. Secondly it had some decent parts but over-all it was a total failure. If you want to watch a movie about a girl getting cancer and falling in love with some guy and then they guy finding out towards the end that she has cancer, then go rent 'A Walk To Remember'. This movie deserves only two stars because one the two guys in it were handsome, two because it was on when there wasn't anything else on to watch.
½ March 25, 2010
this movie sounds dumb but its actually not that bad.

i wasnt really interested in watching this but it proved me wrong.

it was kind of predictable but eh it was still pretty good.