Hey Good Lookin' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hey Good Lookin' Reviews

April 11, 2010
This film features some of the most memorable characters and dialogue in Bakshi's filmography. Again, he presents us with an evocative, hilarious, disturbing and unique vision. This is one of his most beautifully animated films, and it is insanely entertaining.
½ February 24, 2014
Like most Bakshi films, it's got a great soundtrack but even that can't save it from a lazy plot filled with unlikable characters.
September 2, 2011
Ah Bakshi, where to begin?

Here, actually. Compared to his other works it walks a nice line between focused and sincere and...not. I'd recommend it as a good place to start the Bakshi experience. Maybe I'm actually saying that because it was the last one left on my Bakshi list. It certainly excels at the most enthralling quality that all his works share. That quality is not, however, being the only quasi-above ground american animator who works in sex and violence, but the only film maker I've seen who presents something that seems simultaneously flown by the seat of its pants and with surgical precision.
½ July 23, 2011
One of Ralph Bakshi's most underrated films in my opinion. This film is basically a satire about life in the 1950's in Brooklyn, but its strange style is what make it really entertaining. This film is humorous, dirty (It definitely earns its R-rating), and also dark with its violence and because it deals with racial issues at the time. However, the film fared poorly at the box office and has yet to see a DVD release (For shame Warner Bros. Oh well, I least I still have a VCR to watch it). This film is definitely a cult classic of animation that I highly recommend.
November 21, 2010
This was a strange, but great animated movie. The animation and the soundtrack was great. The movie also has a nice 50's feel to it. But the movie is very boring and it just show's the main character's hanging out with their girlfreinds and also trying to stay out of trouble. But overall, if you're a Ralph Bakshi fan or looking for a good animated movie to watch, "Hey Good Lookin'" is worth giving a try.

4/5
½ October 9, 2008
Excellent animated comedy for adults from Ralph Bakshi and one of my favorite animated movies for a long time.

Rozzie is smokin' hot here with those big knockers, recommended.
December 30, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I love Ralph Bakshi's work despite the fact that he can't edit worth a damn. [b]Hey Good Lookin'[/b] could have been a great movie, but Bakshi got sloppy and lazy as usual when he was editing it. The story's compelling enough, the characters are fleshed out well, the music's good and there's enough action to keep most people focused. So what happened to turn a potential 7 or 8 into a 4? Bakshi's eternal problem of being unable to create continuity in a movie! (not to mention sloppy dubbing in place of retakes eg: Solly the cop-"Hey, did you see me scare the h*ll out of those...Chaplains")
Just a few of the questions I ask when I see Hey Good Lookin' are:
Why did Crazy's pop throw out Crazy's stuff?
How did Rozzy get the bed into the street?
How could the Stompers leave the party without being heard?
How did Solly find Crazy at the docks?
How did Crazy know Vinnie split?
and worst of all....
How the heck did the old man and the fat hooker get from the slums of Brooklyn to (I presume) Levittown?
bonus question: What was she doing in the slums when she lived in Levittown?
Maybe Bakshi needs some serious meds when he does an animated feature. There's not one I've seen that he didn't have this problem. Smells like Adult ADD to me.
August 24, 2015
I really like the idea of Ralph Bakshi doing a sort of coming of age comedy set in the 1950's. While this film is not perfect, but there's some good writing here and a few cool characters. I think out of all the Bakshi films I've seen, this one might have my favorite ending.
June 30, 2015
The animation is beautiful, yet the story lacks much substance or poignance, despite having an excellent voice cast to boot.
½ February 24, 2014
½ March 4, 2012
Amazing Artwork For Its Time, A Little Over the Top In Its Sexuality But a True Representation Cuz So Were The Times.
November 28, 2011
there are many who dont like ralph bakshis movie but i do because they are so unique and very bizzare. This one is an interesting look at the 50s and once again another very odd ball movie
September 2, 2011
Ah Bakshi, where to begin?

½ July 23, 2011
August 3, 2011
Really a good flick to watch, I enjoy it every time I watch it.
June 28, 2011
Some parts are kinda weird and unexplained, but as a whole I found it visually stylish by its abstract look of 50s culture. Check it out if you love animation.
March 27, 2009
Though, I usually watched family-oriented animated films; but I guess, I am like wholesome vs taboo. I first encountered Ralph Bakshi's films when I was a teenager - I don't know how old. I started with "The Lord of The Rings;" then "Wizards," that film became my favorite Bakshi film. And then I watched on YouTube : "Fire & Ice," "Cool World" (live action/animated), "Heavy Traffic," and this film "Hey Good Lookin.'"

Well anyway, this film takes on a gritty,outrageous look at the Eisenhower era in Brooklyn, New York (the 1950s). And also about gang-leader Vinnie, his gang called the Stompers, his sexy girl Roz, his friend Crazy Shapiro; also, the all-out rumble with the black rival gang called the Chaplins.

I love the scene where we first meet Roz, it has a great homage to Tex Avery's "Red Hot Riding Hood" cartoons. I also love the part where Vinny screamed at the corpse buried in the sand, and all the Sicillians that are on the beach, dogpiled and beat up Shapiro (*LOL*) - that guy is TOO MUCH!
May 6, 2011
Some really great stuff in here but I would have liked to see the original hybrid live action/animation version that was finished first before the studio shelved it, forcing Bakshi to redo most of the film as straight animation.
November 22, 2010
Revives the spirit of Bakshi's early films.
November 21, 2010