Hidalgo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hidalgo Reviews

½ January 11, 2012
This is a period piece centering around a rugged western hero who decides to prove himself by being the first westerner to enter into a gruelling desert horse race in the Middle East, hoping ot prove that his American horse Hidalgo is just as good if not better than any of the Arabian horses he's up against.

The film is very schmaltzy, sappy, and emotionally manipulative, and some of it does work, but a lot of it fell flat for me. Viggo Mortensen's presence helps things out a lot, and there;s some wonderful cinematography, but some of this was just really too cheesy for me. That, and I really don't care for the opening stuff involving the Native Americans. It jsut comes off as forced, unnecessary, pandering, and really mishandled. It shouldn't even be in here, really. Also, Omar Sharif is a great guy, but give him some better material to work with, especially a character who we're supposed to like (in the end), but can't buy how it gets to that point.

Yeah, I'm ripping on this movie, and some of it is just nitpicking and personal issues, but really, this film just isn't that special or all that memorable even. Go with Seabiscuit instead, or, now that it's out, War Horse.
April 26, 2011
Hidalgo is a terrific action adventure following the legend of Frank T. Hopkins and his Mustang horse, Hidalgo. The film is about a race known as the Ocean of fire a long distance race across the Arabian desert. Hidalgo is a fairly entertaining adventure and is a film that deserves a lot more credit than it deserves. Sure the film is at times uneven, but it manages to be an entertaining and thrilling adventure that is simply loads of fun. Viggo Mortensen is good in his portrayal of Frank Hopkins. Hidalgo is basically a story of attempting the impossible. The film has Western elements, but it doesn't evoke a sense of nostalgia found in viewing such epic Spaghetti Westerns of old. The film is pretty well crafted and the pacing of the story is well thought out meaning the film is never too dull or boring, it's always exciting and thrilling. October Sky director Joe Johnson helms this film and does yet another terrific job and making a film that doesn't have a specific demographic in mind. Johnson is a splendid filmmaker and Hidalgo is yet another solid picture that proves his talents further. A surprising casting choice is Omar Shariff (I thought he was dead long ago) He plays a decent role in Hidalgo also was more famous for playing Ali in the epic masterpiece Lawrence Of Arabia. Hidalgo is an action packed film that the whole family will surely enjoy. The film is never boring, or dull and theres always something going on to keep the pace of the film going.
½ March 15, 2011
Different from most any western this crossbred tale of a crossbred cowboy horseracing in arabia is itself a crossbreed, has interesting legs and succeeds in entertaining.
½ May 24, 2009
Watched this in the aftermath of Mortensen's success in LOTR. Delivered what was expected.
December 3, 2009
A beautiful Adventure Movie based upon real event. I like Viggo. Omar Sharif was Awesome in this Movie.
August 2, 2009
an attempt at a moving story. however, if you want a moving film about a horse, watch seabiscuit
June 10, 2009
stupid horse...
December 30, 2008
This was actually an alright movie. The locations where the movie was shot are beautiful. Also, Viggo Mortensen is the shit. Love him.
½ January 3, 2007
an epic adventure, very underrated. this film was not well recieved but viggo was solid and the story was compelling. i hope that with time more people find this movie.
½ September 24, 2007
July 10, 2007
This heavily romanticized story based on the life of cowboy Frank T. Hopkins is based around his entry into a race across the deserts of persia. It's a handsome outdoor adventure that, when edited down to bite sized chunks for the trailer, probably looks thrilling. But the reality is that although it is very entertaining when the swashbuckling action kicks in, these scenes are far too brief and few and far between. I spent most of the film looking at the scenery wondering when something interesting was going to happen. Unless you really, really like horses, I just wouldn't bother.
June 17, 2007
A pretty good film about an endurance horse race, based on the life of a true person.
June 7, 2007
A rather convincing adventure movie for horse lovers, with a few rare glimpses of Indiana Jones-ness. The action scenes are few but convincing, the cinematography and landscapes stunningly beautiful. The movie could have gotten rid of a couple of slower scenes and used a little more humor but still works pretty well. Nothing awfully exciting but very likable and entertaining in every way.
½ May 30, 2007
good story, dragged a little
December 28, 2006
Not bad. A good one for the lazy sunday.
November 8, 2006
Amazing true-life of legendary Frank T. Hopkins who entered the Ocean of Fire, a death-defying 3,000 horse race across the Arabian Desert. Viggio Mortensen makes fantastic performance as a hero and horse rider in this epic adventure film.
February 22, 2005
The world was raising. Thunderous canyons shot from below to meet my footsteps. Forests rose and died behind my back. Birds evolved and turned to dust before me. The sky was fire and shadow, and it covered the sun like a closing fist. My hair was a wild brown spirit dancing in the tempest. My consciousness tore apart into a thousand different pieces, each shot itself like a rocketship to a thousand stars. The moon crashed into the earth. Humanity begged to be. Civilization threw its hands up. Existence screamed.

My body is an auditorium. Memory is music fading, acoustics wearing.

Starlight is taxed. Clouds rule the universe. The bridges I walk end before they begin. All the islands and planets are sinking. An air just above me is a melancholy fragrance, and yellowness stains reality. The madness of my flesh is annihilated. I am just a tangle of wires choking a soul, stranded in a breath and under the dead mountains. The edge is deep. I let go, and fall back into a flock of glimmering crystal angels. I dream that they are building me beautiful white wings.
July 26, 2010
This interesting footnote in history (and the historicity is dubious at best)didn't make for the grand, sweeping epic it could have been. The movie is only watchable because of Viggo Mortensen's grim charm. It has great cinematography and an appealing supporting cast, but there's just not enough meat on this horses' bones.
September 10, 2011
"Hidalgo" may have some emotional weight to it and the scenery is beautiful, bot the plot is contrived and tries too hard and the running time is a good half hour to forty five minutes too long. While this is a typical animal appreciation film and has many basic morals it preaches, the film itself isn't unbearable to watch but just doesn't take any strides of it's own. The dialogue is poor and cringe worthy at times and the sheer seriousness exuded throughout would have been much more acceptable had there been enough humor to balance it out. What we have here is an average picture that stays safe the whole time and doesn't try to be more then the script let's it be. While this isn't a terrible film or even one that I would consider bad, it's no better then an average attempt at best.