• PG-13, 1 hr. 26 min.

High School High Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 2, 2012
Decent comedy, but never anything good, High School High is a fairly forgettable comedy film that uses stereotypes to create its humor. The film manages to be fun, but is never good because the script is poorly constructed and the gags get tiresome after a while. With that said, this film doesn't withstand multiple viewings. This is the type of comedy that doesn't stand the test of time. Most of the jokes here aren't that funny to begin with, and what is supposed to pass a humor, just isn't that funny to begin with. Overall this is a fun film with minor laughs throughout, but is never anything great. This film is quite forgettable in the long run, and it doesn't have the qualities necessary to be a very good comedy. As a whole, it's a decent film, but relies too much on stereotypes which just becomes tiresome. This film could have been much better and it had a good idea for its plot, but like I said too many stereotypes cloud this one from being a good. Memorable comedy and it just ends up being a decent film with a few laughs. Nonetheless it's a fun film, but is not that good. If you're looking for a decent comedy with minor laughs, then this is a must see. However keep in mind that this film is never anything good, simply a decent film. The film had potential of being much better than this, as it stands, it's funny, but lacks anything really memorable. This is the type of comedy to watch if you have nothing else better to do. Not a bad film, but not that good either. This film could have been much better.
Lucas M

June 21, 2011
Funny and terrible.
Jason O

October 8, 2009
I don't care what anyone says, this is a hilarious movie and one of the best of its year. Jon Lovitz: "Oh my God." Tia Carrere: "What is it?" Jon: "You're still a virgin." Tia: "No I'm not!" *cat screeches loudly. One of the funniest parts of a movie, ever.
Anthony L

September 28, 2009
Not in the least bit funny.
Coxxie M

August 10, 2009
yea i dont want to insult John Lovits because i like him, so i just wont say anyhting about Highscool high
Michael S

March 4, 2007
I don't care what anyone says. I loved this movie when I was 12, and I still think it's funny as hell.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
stupid but had some funny parts, like the rhine stone cowboy
Joseph E

April 11, 2007
pretty good, but had some loose scenes. besides that it was special!

May 15, 2010
I wanted to see this movie because Jon Lovitz is on the cast list and because this movie was made by the same people who made Airplane. I thought this movie was much fun and Jon Lovitz is entertaining as always.
iLeo
iLeo

December 25, 2007
Hilarious!
June 9, 2007
This is a great spoof on the super-serious genre of movies that were popular in the early 90s about life in the hood and underprivileged inner city schools. Writers David Zucker and Pat Proft (Airplane and Naked Gun) effectively establish wall to wall humor that makes spoof movies like this work so well. A lot of time and attention went into the details and dialogue to make sure there is always a joke present or often of multiple funny things going on at once. There are enough minor things going on in background and smaller lines that are really funny, making this fun to watch over and over again. John Lovitz is excellent; his half serious but still lovably goofy delivery is perfect for this brand of humor. In the midst of the ridiculous and exaggerated gags there are some moments that make interesting comments or observations on the differences in cultures and may even make you think. The only thing holding it back is how the back end gets a little serious and caught up in too deep of a plot for a comedy, but it does right the ship and ends well. There is a lot of material crammed into one comedy and while many of the references may not age well and it connected with me and I loved it.
May 18, 2010
A decent parody of inspirational school dramas.I think Lovitz works better in supporting comedic roles, but he did well in this.
Brody M

October 30, 2009
When I 1st watched this movie in HS-I just thought it was stupid but now I just watched it again & I really enjoyed it.What happened to me???
hooliganyouth
August 8, 2007
You know the way you feel about weathermen? That's how I feel about Jon Lovitz...except when he was on Friends.
theonlychicawhodoesntcare
May 28, 2007
When I first saw this I didnt get it, but seeing it a couple more times I think it's a great movie to kick back to and smoke like there's no tomorrow.
April 30, 2007
Jon Lovitz is one of the weirdest actors ever and this movie just was horrible from unfunny start to retarded end.
February 23, 2009
The plot is awful and plays out like one long and very offensive madTV sketch but simply in terms of entertainment, I thought it was hysterical
November 4, 2012
Its silly and dumb but its got that Zucker type humor that you can't help but chuckle at.
rodders
September 18, 2009
Richard Clark (Jon Lovitz) has joined Marion berry High School, as the history teacher, and intends to turn the school from a run-down inner city cliché school into a fine establishment.

Yes, this is a spoof movie. Spoof movies are often lauded in this day age, because of two guys known as Jaon Friedberg and Aaron Setzler, who took everything that was originally funny with spoof movies and ran it to the ground up to the point where we weren't laughing at all anymore. Granted, this film isn't perfect, but it doesn't set out to be a perfect movie. It sets out to spoof the films where teachers try to get inner city kids to become better people, and manages to give off jokes, a number of which are actually funny.

The plot manages to somehow jump to drug dealers, turning the plot into ridiculous territory (but not as ridiculous as any of the spoofs of the last decade). The dialogue is cheesy and a number of the jokes try a bit too much to make you laugh. Jon Lovitz does seem right for the lead role, like they made the film around him playing Mr Clark's role. He's utterly entertaining in the role, and a number of the actors in this film play their roles well also, such as Mekhi Pheifer as lead student Griff and Louise Fletcher as the principal, but a lot of the actors play their roles quite clichéd, but that was possibly intentional. There is character development, but all of it except Griff's feels by the book and clichéd.

Maybe I'm being a bit too generous with this film's rating. I enjoyed it when I was a kid, so maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic. But the jokes did manage to make me laugh, the first half of the film more than the second half though. I stand by my rating though.

May 15, 2010