High School Musical - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High School Musical Reviews

March 22, 2007
Cute, fun and my daughter and I had a good time watiching.
½ November 24, 2012
Corny, to be sure, High School Musical is most appealing to those below the age of 13, but even older viewers can appreciate the important message the film carries. Despite a few cringe-worthy moments, this made-for-tv phenomenon has relatively catchy and memorable songs and features charismatic, albeit exaggerated, performances.
½ July 12, 2007
"Kids today don't know nuthin' bout entertainment! Back in my day we had quality, like Grease and Saturday Night Fever, wit' songs dat meant somethin' and good dancin' too ... dey don't make 'em like dat ennymore! Sniff!" But wait, they do, they do, or at least they did. Grease, again, with hair gel ... instead of Pomade.
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
The soundtrack is enjoyable and is an entertaining movie to a point, however if this is supposed to be the best of teen movies then thats very sad!
Its an average movie with average acting, yes the singing is good but you shouldnt have high expectations for this movie!
TheGame90
October 18, 2008
I liked the atmosphere, it was very relaxing to watch...but that's about it. the plot wasn't unique in any way and the music was crap.
DreamExtractor
August 15, 2011
High School Musical is just not my thing, maybe it me but I didn't like the plot or acting, but I guess the songs were okay.
Marc L.
January 24, 2011
I have seen a LOT of bad movies. A LOT. More than you can count. But this. This is officialy THE worst movie in the HISTORY of mankind. And by movie, I mean the most unholy abomination to ever exist. Let's start out with the acting.

At first glance, Zac Efron looks like the worst actor in the movie. His acting is forced, laughable, and just plain bad. I wouldn;t hire that guy for a freaking ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PLAY! But still,l guess what. He's not even the worst!! No that title would go to Ashley Tisdale. Imagine the acting of Zac Efron, Channing Tatum and Paris Hilton combined and you've got Tisdale. And second of all, she's ugly. Which got me thinking "Why did this woman get into Hollywood?" Not exactly sure.

But alas, the acting is just the tip of the iceberg for this monstrosity. The realism is next up. Here's a lesson to the 8-11 year old's who wrote all the good reviews here. HIGH SCHOOL IS NOTHING LIKE THIS!!! Nope. We don't sing and dance for no reason, we aren;t just divided into jocks and nerds (There are other people too), we don't have endless hours of freetime (try hardly any) and we do not, do NOT paint giant pictures of out jocks in the gym! That just doesn't happen kiddies, it just doesn;t happen!!

Now let's move on to the "plot". I'd like to say it's a plot, but it's more like a bunch of random words piled onto each other on a paragraph. The script is weird, crappy and idiotic, and if the lines aren't forced, they're pretty much non existent.

But the worst thing about this film is not the realism, not the acting, not the cheese, and not even the "plot". The worst thing about it is the publicity. Ick. In 2006, everyone was OBSESSED with High School Musical, mainly because it was the "cool" thing to do. How it became cool in the first place, I'm not sure. Bottom line, if you have ANY taste in movies, avoid this abomination like the plague.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
I love all of them! They're amazing! Makes you cry with happiness. A must see!
erika250
March 19, 2010
not what I expected.
½ July 29, 2010
Here is my excuse: I was thirteen, my entire hockey team was going through "team bonding," and they dragged me into it. Afterwards I felt dirty and wrong, but believe you me, I pay dearly for it. Kidding aside, good choreography. Otherwise....beware.
Movie Monster
½ August 4, 2010
The toe-tapping, fizz-pumping, catchy-tune film that kicked off an enormous worldwide fan-base. Does it deserve a big worldwide fan-base? Suprisingly it does.

High School Musical is "Grease" for a new generation. It's about a dude named Troy (played by Zac Efron) who falls in love with this chick named Gabriella (played by the beautiful Vanessa Hudgens) through music. There's just one problem: he's the captain of the school's basketball team and she's a nerd. They're two different people with entirely different characters.

High School Musical is a fun, sweet, and original movie with great music, and a good moral that teaches kids to believe in themselves and be who they want to be.

The hype may be annoying but High School Musical is worth a try.

"Good job, playmaker."
½ December 31, 2006
Cheesy grins all round. Finally checked it out as it was on TV. Felt like a modern day Grease but for a younger audience. It was ok well put together, but not really my thing.
3niR
July 7, 2010
It was a nice movie. Mostly about singing. I do like music but not like the one who's obsessed with it. Even though I wasn't bored while watching this, it doesn't go on to my recommendation list. It's good but not awesome. Watch if you want to.
½ June 24, 2010
horrible, I hated it. F
January 13, 2010
Not a big fan of musicals, but this may just be one that I find to be likable!
September 5, 2009
I thought I would enjoy this like I enjoy "Hannah Montana" or "Wizards of Waverly Place" - in guilt and in secret - but no, it's just...not...good. Vanessa Hudgens has the tweeist singing voice and Zac Efron (albeit dreamier in Hairspray) has a bit of a lazy eye when he pulls the "serious acting face." The most interesting character is Kelsi, the playwright, but that's all she is - a nerd girl with hat and glasses.
A Truly Twyzted Kytten
½ August 16, 2009
Painful to watch yet, in an odd way, fascinating. I was stunned. America actually pays to see this agonizing display/mix of hormones and a Disney-fied screenplay. I was not at all surprised to see a budding romance was the pivotal conflict/point of the film. The songs were predictably upbeat and irrelevent. The obstacles in the plot were predictably miniscule and unimportant. The characters were predictably cheesy and one-dimensional. Heck, even the dialogue was cheep and screamed Disney. I was fascinated/horrified by how gullible and easily-pleased the younger generation is. This looks very grim indeed. These children are the next leaders of our country and they call this a movie. This settles it-I'm moving to Australia.
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
i will one day kill the creator of this phenomenon
deano
½ March 8, 2007
This Disney Channel movie makes you "dance". The songs were great especially "Get your head in the game". With some dance moves, the movie also added great humor,"love",and for those jocks out there BASKETBALL! The actors & actresses rocked the stage and just made the movie a teen can watch and who knows maybe one or two can relate to Troy (Zac Efron), Gabriella (Vanessa Anne Hudgens), or even Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale). Disney has proved itself once again as the movie magnet!
thmtsang
½ July 21, 2007
Wholesome Disney version of Grease. Two teenagers meet on holiday and then find out they are at the same school. The guy is cool and popular and the girl is a brain box and pretty. They both want to act in the school musical. No memorable songs. Teenagers are too beautiful. Not how I remembered high school.