Hills of Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hills of Home Reviews

October 21, 2014
A classic and fun addition to the Lassie movies.
March 15, 2014
another family lassie pic
July 30, 2013
Hills of Home is an excellent film. It is about William McClure, the village doctor in Scotland, who adopts Lassie. Edmund Gwenn and Donald Crisp give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Fred M. Wilcox did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and drama. Hills of Home is a must see.
August 20, 2010
Sturdy Lassie film with a decent series of dog-related adventures.
December 30, 2005
'Hills of Home' is one of the older Lassie films. This film is about Lassie and her owner, an elderly doctor in a small, rural village. I have the video of this film, and I watched it when I was younger, but out of all the Lassie films, this is my least favourite and a film that I could not get into. (Maybe this film is made for adults, and maybe that is why I could not appreciate it; I'm sure it was probably a good book and had some good ideas.) I felt the film was slow-moving, and I found it difficult to understand or really get engaged in the plot. The film only became interesting when the doctor had to go out in rough weather on a house call, and he is knocked off his horse. Lassie has to brave the weather to get help.

I would not recommend this film to children as I think it is slow moving and I don't think it can fully be appreciated. Maybe I will watch it again sometime to see if I enjoy it better through the eyes of an adult.