The Hi-Lo Country Reviews

jjnxn
½ July 8, 2013
A miss from the usually stellar Frears. Slow moving and dull. The uninspired acting from everybody but Woody doesn't help.
iLeo
December 25, 2007
great movie.
½ August 1, 2014
I like this movie. It starts of slow but the acting from billy crudup and woody harelson are pitch perfect. Its tragic but well done. Only complaint the director could have found someone better than Patricia Arquette. She cute but bland.
April 5, 2014
good if not excellent
½ December 25, 2012
I am really surprised that film buffs don't rate this movie higher!

This is a beautifully acted, directed and shot movie with a script that's a little slow in parts.

It's a character study.

It's an off-beat modern Western.

It's got Patricia Arquette at her sluttiest best, before she ballooned up and Penelope Cruz as a sexy-cute Latina girlfriend.

It's got Woody Harrelson and Billy Crudup doing a bang up job.

I found it mesmerizing.
May 6, 2011
This is one of the finest movies I have ever seen. It is the interactions of the characters with one another as well as their surroundings that bring this movie to life, making you feel a part of the feelings these people have. You CARE about them, and your heart breaks right along with theirs. Excellent casting, and beautiful cinematography. If you get a chance, watch this film. The only move that has moved me as much as this one is Brokeback Mountain, for all the same reasons.
April 9, 2004
More ratings... (just watched)