97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Hit So Hard Reviews

Anthony L

November 29, 2013
I'm a 90's kids, it's the year I discovered all those lovely things like Sex, drugs and rock and roll. I was into the grunge scene, I had a very large baggy jumper (with holes), a curtain haircut (with undercut! oh yeah!) and a love of music that was far from lovely. I grew out of it like everyone else but I can still listen to Nirvana and think, yeah, that was a good time. I had tickets to see Nirvana a few months before Kurt Cobain's death but I sold them thinking that they'd be around a while, I'd catch them next time. It is in my top 10 personal worst regrets. Anyway, it was nice to see a documentary of a time I often struggle to remember, some of the unseen before now footage was a real treat. However, while watching I remembered something quite important. I loved the music but I didn't like the people. Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love, Kristen Pfaff etc, none of them were ever my idols, I just liked their music. As the documentary went on, I increasingly felt little emotion for any of them and came to the conclusion that none of them are very nice people or are worthy of praise. That probably sounds a little harsh but there are countless great bands that didn't make it but not through pissing their chances up the wall. Interesting to a point. The editing and narrative are fairly terrible too but thanks for the nostalgia trip.
Nicki M

March 2, 2013
Great documentary - anyone who liked Hole or even just that 90's era of women in rock would enjoy this. Interviews with Courtney Love, Veruca Salt etc. Nice flashback and also Patty's story is interesting. Got to say, Courtney does not come off too well here (but that's not surprising!).
April 15, 2012
There's great footage here, along with great interviews. It's just not assembled properly. It ends up feeling overlong and underdone.
Huai I.
August 2, 2014
Great look behind the scenes of a band and a close one at a great person.
June 28, 2013
Great behind the scenes look at Hole and the Seattle movie scene
January 16, 2013
Far too often we hear of the tragedies, the deaths, the lives cut short. This is a story of survival and redemption. I enjoyed watching this and am so happy for Patty. One of the best parts of the film is her mom! Also - I bet we would all benefit if our lives had been documented in video in our twenties. I really liked this film and have recommended it to many other.
Brandon A.
December 5, 2012
It starts as a pretty good documentary about the band Hole (which is infinitely more nuanced and powerful told through the lens of Schemel instead of her louder bandmate) and ends up an intelligent, clever and subtle reflection on the definitions of fame and success - how those forces warped the meaning of "underground" in the early 90s and still today work to lure us into redefining our selves to better service the man, the money and the machine. xoxo rock on, Patty!
December 4, 2012
much better than anticipated, it's always good to get a fresh perspective on what was going on during a particular record or tour for any band and then you have that extra information on the next listen. changes the way i hear songs anyway. my only major issue with this is the same with most music documentaries, i wish there would be more timelines calculating the timing of each major release in conjunction with the story. as a big record collector and music buff that's been my beef with many rockumentaries. too bad it wasn't possible for a proper band reunion as with out patty and the others there would be NO Hole... Courtney is just ONE part, and the others are all necessary.
Chandler K.
November 28, 2012
Great interviews and footage make it a compelling watch even though it tends to meander a bit. Some poignant footage of Kurt Cobain with his child. Worth a look.
October 9, 2012
Very interesting roc/doc....thoroughly enjoyed it and will recommend it to friends
June 15, 2012
There's an interesting story to tell here, but the choppy editing and lack of cohesive narrative is maddening. It just feels all over the place. There are some fun moments here, especially the ones with Cobain, but this film could have been so much more in the hands of a capable director and editor.
March 27, 2012
iF Hole was part of the soundtrack to any part of your life as it was mine in my 29s and living in Hollywood then thisdoc is MUST. bROUGHT BACK SOME MANY MEMORIES GOOD AND BAD