Home Alone 4 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Home Alone 4 Reviews

Directors Cat
November 6, 2011
Tired humour and no new gags worth remembering. The charm of the first two and the dark enthusiasm of the third are no where to be found and unlike the first three the lead protaganist is a terrible actor.
½ January 11, 2010
I did not hate it as much as the critics did, but I do like it better than the second Home Alone! I understand that it was direct to DVD, that's why I didn't hate on it. But the one big thing that is wrong with it, is that he is NOT HOME ALONE? What is that?
½ April 22, 2008
This is the fourth sequal to what was once considered a classic family series. Home Alone 4 has ruined that, with horrible actors, and ridiculous unbelievable scenes. There was a few minor funny parts to the movie, but it's hard to stay interested long enough too see them.
Seriously.. stop with these. Its over!
September 1, 2006
This is awful beyond words. Probably the worst film i've ever seen
½ June 2, 2007
The others were good but this was absolutely awful. The plot was too predictable and the hero does not even come close to being as cute as little Macauley Culkin was in the first two. This movie was quite boring.
December 14, 2012
By far the worst in the series, the acting was disgusting, yes, disgusting. The storyline was again recycled. There were barely any traps this time and the plot revolves around a far-fetched Christmas miracle/heist. Thank God they stopped making anymore of these craps.
½ May 26, 2012
Daniel Stern sums his opinion up for me. "An insult, total garbage." This movie was so bad, it made the third one good, even though I found that one stupid as well. This is why it is best to think twice when it comes to movies like this being made for TV.
divinetrash
½ December 21, 2007
This movie is like crack. It doesn't do me any good, and I don't enjoy it at all because of all the side-effects, but I can't get enough of it.
½ March 25, 2016
A blatantly disgusting cash grab with no interest in actually being entertaining, the forth instalment of this franchise throws everything that made the earlier movies so good out the window, from the lack of any actual traps to serious continuity errors, effecting the whole movie series.

F
½ August 21, 2014
5 Words:
Poisonous
Unfunny
Boring
Un-charming
Stupid-Terrible

Extra Words: This is the trashiest piece of trash in trash Hollywood.
May 1, 2015
Worst of the franchise.
A rotten rating of 10%
"There is no humor is this 4th installment of a once funny franchise."
½ March 7, 2015
Vera: [yells] ANYBODY IN HERE?

The Home Alone series should have ended after Home Alone: Lost In New York. Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, and Daniel Stern are the only ones that can ever play Kevin Mcallister, Harry, and Marv. This was a pile of dog crap. It had no new jokes, the actors didn't do well at all, and the "Macaulay Culkin look alike and sound alike" didn't look like him at all or sound like him either. What a craptastic job by Rod Daniel. There was no point of this movie's creation. The funniest part was watching how the burglars (Especially "Marv") were absolutely clueless to the traps.
½ December 3, 2014
Honestly what were they thinking? Replace Kevin and put this "new" Kevin McCallister into an unbelievable war with a "new" Harry that by mistake they named incorrectly? Did they even watch the first three films? Terrible movie, even if you don't compare it to the previous three this movie is just a waste of your time
½ December 9, 2013
An embarrassment to each of its predecessors. It's more than clear that the creators behind the other classics, took no part in this piece of bombastic trash.
½ November 28, 2013
Avoid this iteration altogether. The first 2 (even 3 maybe) make for an unparalleled charming, feel-good time; but not this one.
½ June 26, 2013
the makers of this movie should stick with the unwritten rule of movie making... DONT FUCK WITH THE ORIGINAL!!!
½ December 12, 2012
Abysmal. This film devoured the franchise and spat it at our feet. Rewriting the plot, characters, tone was a huge misfire. The worst film of the franchise, the worst film of the year, the worst film ever filmed. Well, not exactly, but awfully close.
½ April 16, 2013
Home Alone 4 might be the strangest movie ever filmed in Capetown, South Africa. That's not a joke; the budget on this movie was so low that South Africa seemed the only viable option for filming. Throughout the film, I keep looking at the backgrounds to see if I could spot anything that was distinctly South Africa (a tiger maybe?). This was an effort, on my part, to find anything on the screen from a plot that was bilious, sanctimonious and half-baked.

In my review of Home Alone 3, I noted that it "reeks of desperation". That's tame compared with what Home Alone 4 has to work with. It stands on the far shores of a once-interesting and highly successful idea and the result can only stand as mere impression. Whereas Home Alone 3 focused on a different kid in a similar Chicago suburb, this one pulls the focus back on little Kevin McCallister who is, oddly enough, the same age that he was in his original adventure. Here he's played by little Mark Weinberg, who doesn't even have the excuse of being cute. Actually he's kind of creepy. He talks all the time, and his dialogue consists of those cutesy little kid actor phrases: "I knew this was gonna be the best Christmas ever." He's a Hollywood acting kid, and not a very good one.

The plot involves Kevin spending Christmas Eve at the home of his dad's girlfriend Natalie (Joanna Going). His parents are separated, which leads to a side-plot involving some preachy nonsense about the importance of family. That's when Kevin isn't bashing crooks over the head. Not content with the family plot, there has to be - once again - a series of gags in which the house is besieged by bad guys and the kid has to stop them by setting up elaborate traps that could only be executed by a special effects department.

The crooks are Marv and his wife Vera. Marv, as you will recall was played in the first two films by Daniel Stern who was offered this film but refused, calling it "an insult, total garbage." He is replaced here by French Stewart of "3rd Rock from the Sun", who gives a bad performance simply by trying to do a bad impression of Daniel Stern. There are some acts you just can't follow, and others you don't want to. Stewart's performance is painful to watch. Essentially you're watching an otherwise talented comedian attempting to do an impression of another talented comedian. Stewart twists and turns his voice and his body language in such weird and off-putting ways that you sit there concerned for the man's health. Then it dons on you: This is his performance!

Anyway, Marv intends to kidnap little Kevin for reasons that I don't think are ever made clear. He and Vera invade Natalie's house, which is a "smart house" - a mansion in which everything is voice activated. It isn't much of a stretch to imagine how the third act of this film plays out - lots of lumps to the head and that weird pratfall in which people slip, fly up in the air, and land flat on their backs. Knowing that this movie takes place in Chicago, but filmed in South Africa, I kept hoping that the SAP would bust down the door and drag the crooks off to who-knows-where.

Long ago, and far away, there was a pretty good movie called Home Alone. It starred Macaulay Culkin, a cute and very talented young comedian. Because of him, the movie became the most successful comedy of all time, but it wasn't an idea that anyone could really build on. Sequels based around that formula can only be an imitation, not that anyone was really asking for it.
½ March 21, 2013
Oh look, another Home Alone movie only this time it's a TV movie. Even if John Hughes wrote this, it still would have sucked. But hey, maybe this time this is the last movie in the series!
January 22, 2013
HORRIBLE! The parents should never have gotten divorced. Ruined the film from the first five minutes.