97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Homegrown Reviews

_kelly .

November 8, 2010
A great cast does nothing for this scattered, cliched, and goofy script. Still - and this may just be the great cast - there is an undeniable cheeky charm to this film that makes it memorable. But if you want a REAL film that blends drama and comedy into an absorbing believable world of fully fleshed out chracters, skip this amateurish attempt at capturing the plight of the American cannabis farmer and instead enjoy Humboldt County.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 21, 2009
Cast: Billy Bob Thornton, Hank Azaria, Ryan Phillippe, Jamie Lee Curtis, John Lithgow, Ted Danson, Judge Reinhold, Kelly Lynch, Jon Tenney, Jon Bon Jovi

Director: Stephen Gyllenhaal

Summary: After their boss, Malcolm (John Lithgow), gets killed, bumbling trio of marijuana farmers Jack (Billy Bob Thornton), Carter (Hank Azaria) and Harlan (Ryan Phillippe) figure they might as well take over Malcolm's lush business and cash in on $5 million worth of product. Unfortunately, they never bargained on how difficult -- and dangerous -- it is to sell so much.

My Thoughts: "Man was this movie a snooze fest. Who knew a movie about some boofy (Marijuana) could be not only this boring, but in no way funny. It runs way to long for the story it is trying to tell. I kept looking at the time, which is never a good sign while watching any film. Just not worth the watch at all. Whats more surprising then this film being a bore, is how much talent is in the film. Not only the leads, but they had some cameo's from good actors like Ted Danson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Jamie Lee Curtis. Why they all signed on to do this film baffles me. Just a bad script and everything else."
Emily A

December 6, 2007
I found this very disappointing, but I imagine I would have found it moreso if I had gone in expecting anything. It was funny, but not as funny as it could have been. There was too much hang time between laughs, and too much character and not enough plot. It seemed such a shame that they killed John Lithgow's character right at the beginning, and I wish they hadn't muddled the story with drug paranoia. Although the ending was good. This movie isn't too bad, but far from special.
stevetheman1236
stevetheman1236

August 20, 2011
Homegrown is a harmless little comedy. It isn't spectacular, but it's off the beaten path and that usually makes for a good movie. It sags in a couple parts and writing isn't spectacular, but the characters are wacky and it's mildly enjoyable.

If you're looking for a movie that doesn't fit in with the rest of the crowd, then look no further. Homegrown is your kind of movie.
Stephen E

November 29, 2011

ken j

July 10, 2010
Three laborers of a marijuana farm start to get very paranoid when there boss is murdered of course they did know enough to take enough weed with them to make a quick buck so they hook up with go between Lucy and things just spiral down from bad to worse making for some funny results. Overall a decent movie had some laughs in it but i did expect alot more from the cast not a complete waste of time if your into stoner movies and have time on your hands
BantamDraper
May 6, 2010
Billy Bob Thornton is great in this flick about marijuana growers and the chaos that surrounds them. Full of quality cameos and supporting characters. Ted Danson steals the show in his scene.
February 3, 2009
really really really dig this flick, stellar cast , fun setting and concept. Hank Azaria and billy bob are a great team
kylomufachi
January 13, 2008
i like thornton, Phillippe and Azaria in this also ohn Lithgow! though the script was lacking something, not sure what but its there.
lavenderfawn
May 28, 2007
I cool marijuana mystery/thriller. Billy Bob rocks and, as I recall, John Lithgow is an awwesome bad guy!
Jubei
November 10, 2006
One of my favorite weed movies of all time. All that dope just wasted, ahh. This movie has an all star cast and quiet a few cameos.
November 20, 2012
See "Leaves of Grass" with Edward Norton instead of this misfire.
Reprieved Soul
November 8, 2010
Amateurish and unconvincing, this crew needs to watch Shallow Grave. Or maybe they did, but just couldn't replicate the internal stresses and friction as distrust turns to aggression and paranoia overturns loyalty when solidarity is required.
xactlyme
September 22, 2009
Homegrown is just great fun! With the likes of Lithgow, Thornton and Azaria, what could be better? This has to be the first film that I actually realized that Ryan Phillipe had some acting chops!
Its a great story with rich characters that keep you interested and entertained. A well written comedy of errors.