Hope Floats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hope Floats Reviews

August 8, 2010
An airy, nothing kind of film, which is always trying to be more than it is. You go in thinking itâ(TM)s some flouncy Sandra Bullock vehicle, where she can be her goofy self while falling in love with the handsomest of men on the planet. Instead of being a romantic comedy it's more of a character study of a bereaved woman who is ridiculed and belittled after suffering public embarrassment. The beginning, when we're first introduced to Birdee, a divorced single mother who moves home after being humiliated by her husband and his lover, itâ(TM)s actually quite moving and sweet. Though the daughter is an intimate character, and a look into the true psychological faculties of a girl her age, the rest of the family and the husband are ridiculous caricatures. Watching the daughter and wife interact, it was hinted that the husband was this deeply flawed character, but he has all the parameters of some nothing villain. Gena Rowlands is a hard hearted eccentric who's only there to thrust Bullock's struggles to the surface. Though I enjoyed what she brought to the film as a character, using her as a plot point further on was despicable. The other kid, a boy who likes to act as things, didn't have enough backstory with his no good mother to render a specific response except distaste. Though his antics and tendency to keep silent were perfectly odd and childlike, I would have liked to see a broader side of him. The movie altogether is schmaltz. What she has to overcome and the way she does it is small stuff, an amalgamation of every other drama of this genre, or of that decade. There is so much someone can do with the breakup of a marriage, but they looked solely on the aftermath though that's not what the movie was trying to accomplish. Look at Blue Valentine and tell me it's hard to make a film that's complex but relates to an ordinary occurrence.
jamers2011
May 17, 2011
Good movie! A little underrated in my opinion, but it's mostly because not too many have seen it. I definitely recommend it! I used to live in Smithville, TX, where the movie was filmed, so I've always liked this film. It's nothing spectacular, but it's worth while. Also, this is one of Sandra Bullock's earlier films, so it's nice seeing where she's come from.
January 2, 2007
Sandra Bullock looks lovely as always but this film was very slow and dull. I just kept waiting for something to happen. Thought it might be a rom-com to start with but it was definitely a drama. Just so slow and predictable and nothing really happens. If you want a romantic drama watch the Notebook which also stars Gena Rowlands.
deano
February 18, 2007
Good touching and poignant drama film that has it all... love and pain... laughter and tears. It's perfect. The beauty of the country along with the small town family atmosphere makes this pure. Sandra Bullock is very good in a complex role. Gena Rowlands is gold. Harry Connick Jr. fails to impress. Michael Paré is awful. Mae Whitman is extremely irritating but the other child actor Cameron Finley is quite likable.
½ February 9, 2008
I didn't care for the film. The character that Sandra Bullock plays isn't a likable one and I didn't really care if she was happy in the end. The character of the daughter wasn't good at all either. In the end I really didn't care and that made me long for the end of the movie.
½ July 30, 2007
The half star is for Gena.
November 7, 2006
What a great movie.
½ February 20, 2008
Get out your kleenexes this is a heartbreaker
August 11, 2007
People all thought this movie was crap and was a dry scipt with no life, but I absolutely adored this BAD movie. Something about it just touched my heart and although it lacked in keeping us guessing, and Bullock's acting was dry as ever, and Connick Jr. was trying too hard to be sentimental and comedic at the same time, I thought Gena Rowland's character was the best. She reminded me of my mother and I think this is why I adored this movie so much. Other than that, the movie has heart, but it should have been done alot better. Too bad for the ratings. But nonetheless, it's a fave of mine.
May 30, 2007
I usually like Sandra Bullock but the moving exchanges between her character and that of her mother are cheapened by her total lack of chemistry with Harry Connick Jr (Bullock's love interest in the film). The movie would have actually been better if they had cut out his awkward, cringe-worthy scenes entirely. on the whole, not one of her better ones.
broadwaymo
April 1, 2007
Even though this is the epitome of chick flicks and predictible as all heck, I can't help but like this movie. Must be the chemistry between Sandra and Harry...
iLeo
February 3, 2007
great.
½ June 18, 2014
Sandra Bullock is always great on screen. Regardless of the role, she has a very likable charm. But the film is dull, generic, and just overall predictable.
½ June 14, 2014
With all the talent and charm of Sandra Bullock and Harry Connick Jr this movie is just terrible, you really won't like her although she looks lovely..Kudos to the man who played her father, he was very good.
May 19, 2014
I love this movie. It can be a little over the top at times but shows that even though you can always go home it is never the same.
½ July 18, 2010
Sandra Bullock looks great and she does a fine job, but this movie is extremely slow even by romance movie standards. It is painfully predictable and takes forever for what you know is coming to unfold. Predictability is not a bad thing, as long as the road to know finish is interesting. This, however, is a snooze. Bullock gives it her best, but her character is not likable. Who wants to see the little miss popular homecoming queen come home, land on her feet; much less become the toast of the town again? Yuck! Spare me, please. Not even her supposedly cute little girl is palatable. Other than Bullock, the soundtrack is the only other nice thing I can point out about the movie. It is lifeless and bland, do yourself a favor and avoid this one at all costs.
March 21, 2013
Poorly written, disjointed and hard to follow. Instead of building relationships and developing reasons for character interactions, the movie sort of just happens. Bullock and Connick put on weak performances at best.
½ April 15, 2008
This is a very sweet story, but Birdee's character is rather shallow. If you only watch this for the romance and the happy ending you won't be disappointed.
November 9, 2012
Sandra Bullock is an awesome actress, particularly in the first scene of this movie where she is told by her best friend on Live National Television that she is having an affair with her husband. Too good to describe on this post. Movie also has nice Sexy Pictures of Harry Connick, Jr., in Blue Jeans.

Overall, the movie is about a High Society Woman that is sent back to her small Home Town to make good with her old friends after being Humiliated on Television, accompanied by one of the nicest Movie Soundtracks I have ever heard. If you get a chance, you have to see this movie, it has it all.
½ April 16, 2012
my favorite romantic comedy:) sandra bullock & harry connick jr are terrific together!! wonderful storyline have watched many times")