66% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Horse Soldiers Reviews

Graham J

October 27, 2011
Not one of the essential Ford/Wayne westerns but nevertheless a strong film. Wayne and Holden are great and Ford's vivid visual style is striking.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 30, 2010
Another fantastic Wayne/Ford classic. The Searchers seems to have a lot in common with this film as far as themes and actors, so it tends to remind me of it a lot at times.
deano
deano

December 16, 2007
This John Ford's frontier actioner packed with laughter, romance and thrills. Based on a true incident during the Civil War, this is a minor, but enjoyable. John Wayne and William Holden play well-matched adversaries.
garyX
garyX

June 5, 2007
The John Ford/John Wayne partnership is probably the most reliable in the history of the western, although it can seem a little difficult to tell some of them apart. Stoic union colonel Wayne is joined by humanitarian doctor William Holden and a captive southern belle for a typically solid and entertaining civil war adventure. Quality stuff, but it won't win over non-western fans.
keith222
keith222

April 27, 2009
Sometimes looks can be deceiving. With John Wayne, William Holden and John Ford all working on the same movie I think that my expectations were really high, so I came out of this a little disappointed. I was just expecting so much from these guys.
DrLappos
DrLappos

September 18, 2007
Its John Wayne...nuff said.
June 9, 2014
Pretty boring story, the conflict between Wayne and Holden is so blah, as is the relationship between Wayne and Constance Towers. Just not a very compelling movie.
September 5, 2012
Apart from John Wayne and some touches from John Ford here and there, this movie doesn't have much going for it. It just doesn't hook me in like it should and the conflict seems very forced between Holden and Wayne, as well as between Wayne and Constance Towers.
April 16, 2012
Actually a pretty good John Wayne movie. Loosely based on the Civil War cavalry raid by Union Colonel Benjamin Grierson who succeeded in tying down 3 Confederate armies that were taken away from Vicksburg just as Grant moved towards the city. Uniforms were well done.
addienoir
November 28, 2007
I am not a Wayne fan AT ALL, but Holden and Wayne together are a good team, Holden playing the straight man in this really good civil war adventure.
February 19, 2007
"Colonel Secord doesn't seem to understand that the coffee tastes better when the latrines are dug downstream instead of upstream"
splittailluvr
September 28, 2006
Another great movie done by John Ford and John Wayne set during the Civil War where John spends more time fighting with William Holden than the enemy.
johnboy85937
May 27, 2006
Ok so I like the Duke, I just think we need a hero for our day and unfortunately we have to look back to find one!
May 26, 2013
Something strangely compelling about this movie. No one thing in this movie (acting, script, pacing) is great, but the combined whole is significantly stronger than the parts. I highly recommend it.
December 14, 2011
a great movie but, it kind of cuts off at the end.
Dave J
September 25, 2012
Tuesday, September 25, 2012

(1959) The Horse Soldiers
ADULT WESTERN

Based on actual persons and actual cavalry incidents but if there's any reason to watch this, it'd be for the picturesque scenery since it's some of the best looking scenes anyone can ever find in a film. And although the history portrayed is heavily inaccurate nor does it consists of any plot whatsoever, in such a dull and dreary way, viewers can appreciate the collision between it's two veteran titans of John Wayne as a head of it's Yankee cavalry and William Holden as the surgeon whose been assigned to tag along. There's some very good lines but not enough to hold the movie since it goes absolutely nowhere. Directed by John Ford who was making attempts in making another "The Searchers" but does not succeed this time around.

2 out of 4
Mark  Delledonne
March 9, 2012
You have to watch and rate this movie as a "war movie." For a war movie, this movie is excellant. For entertainment value it is still good too. It has a lot of suspense and good back and forth between Wayne and the Doctor.
Jonathan D.
July 15, 2012
Very Average John Wayne film.
May 31, 2012
where "the horse soldiers" lacks in story, it makes up for with john ford's brilliant direction and the chemistry between it's three leads.
Graham J