The Hospital Reviews

hunterjt13
November 12, 2012
In a hospital wracked with bureaucracy and poor patient care, a suicidal doctor struggles to find meaning in his work and life.
Part black comedy, which is drawn from the absurdity of reality, and part serious drama, The Hospital is one of the best films about the medical profession that I have ever seen. Incredible in its verisimilitude, Paddy Chayefsky's screenplay is smart, incisive, and passionately written. George C. Scott's performance is one of the best of his career, and his "freedom for the impotents" monologue is an enviable, engaging piece of acting.
At its core, The Hospital is about how even the most human of moments fails to satisfy a deep urge to connect with our own humanity. It's about the disappointments of life, how they wear on us, turning us into unrecognizable automatons. The characters reach for meaning, and disappointed, they reach again, harder and more desperate.
Overall, I love this film, and not only should it be required viewing in every medical school, its themes transcend a particular profession or historical moment.
July 6, 2008
Paddy Chayefsky is almost infallible at giving the toughest and loudest social and existencial commentaries under the veil of comedy. He did that flawlessly in "Marty" and "Network", and although here he doesn't , still the film packs a good punch to the establisment. George C. Scott is magnificent, as always. His rage and tortuous pain seem on the surface all the time, like he really was the character he plays. The story looses up a bit by the end, while the first half is wonderfully cynic.
½ October 1, 2007
The script is great, but the execution is flawed. Several times the film loses it's grasp on it's tone and stumbles as a result. Diana Rigg is SOOOOOOOOOOOO HOTTTTTTTTTT in this though, it almost makes up for it. And I could have done without the rape scene too.
½ September 5, 2010
Dark comedies and satires are always hit or miss, and this one tends to miss. There are a few moments where I understand something is funny, but it's not so funny that it makes me laugh. I wouldn't recommend this movie.
½ February 1, 2008
This movie kills me. I love George C. Scott's performance and there are some amazing monologues, but there are also some weird plot lines that rubbed me wrong.
October 17, 2013
A good film about an urban hospital environment featuring an outstanding performance by George C. Scott. I think there is many a hospital television show that received its inspiration from this bold original.
October 24, 2012
I honestly couldn't even finish this film, the tone seemed confused on whether it'd be serious or satire. The dialogue was mediocre and sometimes frustrating. I found it hard to have any and all focus in the film, and I think the director had the same problem.
January 7, 2010
The incomparable George C. Scott delivers a magnificent Oscar nominated performance in this brilliant, ferocious funny dark satire by Paddy Chayefsky who won an Oscar for his biting witty screenplay, which concerns a Metropolitan Hospital in New York City that is beset by murder, madness and mayhem, Scott plays a brilliant but cynical doctor who going though a mid-life crisis of monumental proportions, his life is a shambles, his marriage is over and his children don't speak to him anymore, his beloved teaching Hospital is falling apart, he is also on the blink of a nervous breakdown and to complicate things more Scott begins to fall in love with a patient's seductively charming daughter played superbly by Diana Rigg who saves him from himself. But there is a sinister mystery happening in the Hospital, staff members, doctors and nurses are being murdered by someone who is making it all look like accidents. Fine direction by Arthur Hiller with excellent supporting performances by Bernard Hughes, Nancy Marchand, Stephen Elliott, Donald Harron, Robert Blossom, Robert Walden, Frances Sternhagen and Richard Dysart. A memorable, provocative and immensely entertaining black comedy. Highly Recommended.
May 3, 2011
There are moments that are quite amazing (the 'impotence' monologue is a fine example of how great a writer Paddy Chayefsky was) but the film is not always successful in its social commentary. The murder subplot is both unnecessary and perplexing. However for George C. Scott's performance its totally worth a viewing.
½ May 13, 2012
George C. Scott is a brilliant actor. He makes "The Hospital" consistently entertaining, even when it begins to run out of steam towards the end. I understand what Paddy Chayefsky was trying to accomplish here with his script and, in some respects, he gets his message across. Problem is that it makes a mess of a good premise. The first half is genuinely funny, while the second is melodramatic and a little boring. But I like "The Hospital" regardless. Scott does an excellent job.
mattsigur1
October 5, 2010
George C. Scott is amazing, but with a half-hour left, this movie takes a turn to What-the-fuck-ville.
½ December 3, 2012
This black comedy follows Dr. Bock, played by the fantastic George C. Scott, as his life is falling apart and the hospital he works for is having several crazy incidents occur, including doctors being killed. It is a good film, I wouldn't say it is incredible, and it certainly has it's weak spots, but I found it was mostly entertaining and well made with lots of social commentary as well.
December 21, 2011
"The whole goddamn wretched world is strangulating in front of our eyes!"

A pretty bizarre movie with some satirical jabs in areas that are still relevant today.

Not a very engaging film, in terms of entertainment, but at least it's not generic garbage.

"Somebody has to be responsible, Barbara. Everybody's hitting the road, running away, running for the hills... someone's GOT to be responsible."
August 17, 2008
Deeply nasty, and very funny satire of modern medicine (40 years ago), and just about everything else.
½ December 23, 2006
Not a satire, but rather a witty condemnation of health practices in the US versus alternate realities. A withering portrait of 'burn out' and lost values.
August 22, 2013
This has the feel of a 70's TV drama. The story about staff being murdered one-by-one is merely a backdrop as the study of the character played by George C. Scott is clearly the central point. A bit boring to be honest.
½ May 25, 2013
Great and well written dark comedy and satire on the state of the medical field which is still reverent today. Great script by P Chayefsky (who deserved his oscar,) killer performances from George C. Scott and Dianna Rigg (the sexiest she ever was I might add,) this is all around a odd yet fun flick.
November 2, 2013
Slick, subversive and with a darkly comic bite, Chayefsky and Hiller create a unique medical film that satirizes the absurdity of American healthcare. Scott is flawless as a disillusioned doctor, set against a backdrop of wacky patients, cold doctors who end up on their operating tables, and a sultry Diana Rigg.
½ January 21, 2014
Another great work by Paddy Chayevsky (see '' Network,' and '' Altered states'') dont be fooled by the 1rst 30 minutes; it looks like angry slpstich societal farce, but it adds up to more, its made of sensititvity toward the powerless dssatisfaction of a word facing a demographically impossible situation, and the necessary but opposed rising of voices of all concerned. it could have come out as cynical, but instead, through humour, reveals another face of realism. The change of pace seems harsh but perfectly fits the varied and contiguous contexts.
April 27, 2013
For sure some dark humor and it worked. George C Scott was excellent in this role and I did enjoy seeing little bit parts of actors who would become famous in later years (Stockard Channing spoke maybe 5-6 words and there was Mrs Christie who would go on to become Tony Soprano's mom). The Hospital is chaotic with everyone spiralling down into some farcical place and there's Paddy Chayefsky's fingerprints everywhere.