—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Hot Fuzz Reviews

John M

January 31, 2008
Not as good as Shaun of the Dead but decent fun.
Dan S

June 24, 2007
A hilariously great mash-up of bad buddy cop action movies about a straight-edge cop (Simon Pegg) who is promoted and relocated to a mysterious town inhabited by strange people, and how he discovers there is more to the town than meets the eye. Pegg's performance is its usual stuff, absolutely outstanding and brilliant in many respects, with a buddy (Nick Frost) and bad guy (Timothy Dalton) that make this movie an awesome ride all the way through. The energy director Edgar Wright gives this movie thanks to his kinetic film-making style is absolutely infectious, and the result is an outstanding comedy with a dynamite conclusion that makes this film a must-see.
Eugene B

November 27, 2013
The trio of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg & Nick Frost succeed in this buddy-cop bonanza. Hot Fuzz supplies plenty of hysteria along with its fantastic direction and plot (even though it may be hard to catch on a times). It culminates to its grand finale and climatic action sequence that's action-packed every step of the way, making this film surprisingly entertaining as a result. 4/5
Phil H

April 5, 2009
The second film in the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, this being the classic blue original Cornetto to represent the thin blue line of the police service (not force...wrong impression). Yep the ragtag bunch of scruffy oddball Brits are back with more outlandish comedy the likes of which the Americans can only dream of. First time it was a horror parody/homage, now this time its a kick ass action flick parody/homage which picks at various classic action film/genre ideas.

This time Pegg plays top gun police officer (not man...all officers are equal) 'Nicholas Angel' in the MET, an all round action hero of epic proportions having graduated with honours from Hendon. Because he is giving all his colleagues a bad name by being so unbelievably good at his job they pack him off to a sleepy countryside village in rural Gloucestershire. Once there he quickly cleans up what little trouble there is and makes a bit of a name for himself being somewhat over the top and a jobsworth in the process. But he soon discovers all is not what it seems out in the sticks as people start to get bumped off.

I think the best thing about this film is the clear cut satirizing of US buddy cop action movies with references and blatant homages/rip offs. The beginning of the film is a lighting fast montage of how Angel becomes an officer and what he achieves. This rapid quick fire editing is used all through the film accompanied by some over the top hard thumping sound effects just to nail the message home...this is daft but at the same time we're actually kinda serious too...sorta. I love how the simplest of duties, like paperwork, is edited with speed and sound effects to appear hardcore and deathly serious.

I mean lets get this straight, the films plot is stupid and its been done before, an old fashioned murder mystery yarn, but that's not really too important. This is a character driven flick, its purely for the laughs, taking the piss, its very much in the same vein as the Monty Python films in that they actually look good, have great characters, they homage, they rip but they're silly.

There are some great characters in this film but Pegg's by the book Angel is by far the most fun. The guy is a walking cliche but a true action man full of invincible confidence, courage and boldness, whilst his complete bookworm-like attention to detail, procedures and the righteous PC-ness of the law gives us the laughs (much like Rowan Atkinson in 'The Thin Blue Line'). As we delve further into the film we get more and more taglines and typical action movie style stunts until we reach the finale where its just an all out homage betwixt mockery of every kind of action cliche/move/style/camera angle you can think of with guns blazing and bullets ricocheting.

Frost plays the buffoon again which does suit him well I can't deny, he also tends to provide much of the US cop movie tagline spiel as things progressively become more fast n furious. But its the dastardly Dalton and his caddish evil grin and tash that stole the show for me. This guy has the perfect British bounder good looks, a real scoundrel, a rotter, a roguish villain, Terry Thomas eat your heart out. Sure he doesn't actually do that much but its just his sneering wicked smirk together with his perfect speaking voice that nails the role. The finale fight with Pegg isn't to shabby either I might add.

Must also give kudos to Bill Bailey as the easy going officer behind the front desk. Love how he just sits there and basically does nothing accept give messages, excuses and is never bothered by what passes by his reception area. Kinda reminded me of a Muppet type character actually, 'Waldorf and Statler'.

There is plenty of comic book/cartoon violence with the murders, lots of squirting blood and body parts flying about, the dialog is witty, quirky and chock full of your typical British profanities and all set within the beautiful harmony of a stereotypical English village. In fact its a lot like Robert Rodriguez and what he does with his stereotypical sleepy Mexican towns. Both Wright and Rodriguez take what everyone expects to see in these typical locales and fused them with a mega budget Hollywood Bayfest extravaganza, the fun being seeing the two opposites working side by side. In this case its the quaint English village with rose gardens, a humble old vicar, tea rooms, grannies, an old wood beam open fire pub and a historic old church...which all slowly morphs into a blood soaked gun fest frenzy of violence that comes at you from every dainty nook n cranny. Flying martial arts kick to a little old ladies face as she tries to take you out with a shotgun? I rest my case m'lord.

Admittedly some of it is very predictable, childish and you know you've seen or heard some visual/dialog gags before. All the officers in the small police station are pretty generic types (especially the old fella who mumbles and we never understand, very sitcom-like) and the fact the station has no evidence in the evidence room or the riot room has clearly never been used are cute but obvious jokes.

The ending is again predictable and rather tame, I was disappointed we don't really see any of the bad guys getting killed off, even Dalton manages to survive the ordeal. Strange seeing as its a 15 rating, why not kill off more?. All in all the film is basically about giving the UK its own fast paced action flick along the lines of some of the classic films mentioned within the film. Its not meant to be serious of course but there has been a lot of love and attention poured into the film to elevate it above the more common spoof flick. Anyway its about time we saw the traditional British Bobby all tooled up with double hand guns and unlimited ammo diving around in slow motion gunning down bad guys...just like our American cousins.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

August 29, 2012
Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost; the masterminds behind 'Shaun of The Dead' have done another superb comedy with 'Hot Fuzz'. Filled with some fast paced gripping action to decent laughs, Hot Fuzz is one film that shouldn't be missed and is another successful chapter in 'The Cornetto Trilogy'.
michael e.
michael e.

June 16, 2013
I'm not the biggest fan of cop films, and I haven't seen a lot of Simon Pegg/Nick Frosts work but if their movies are as good as this one sign me up. Not only is this one of the most well done comedies and action filsm I've seen, its one of the best films I've ever seen in general. The jokes, the parody, the relationship between the two main characters, the twist, the acting, the action, all of it is just entertaining as hell and keeps you watching no matter what mood you're in. Pegg and Frost work off each other so eye to eye in this film that it comes off as legit and hilarious. And the ending climax that I won't spoil on what happens, but I'll just say, its one of the most entertaining climaxes I've seen before in a film, and the best shootout I've seen in an action film.
Apeneck F

June 6, 2013
A naked parody of cop/action films (and those that love them) what makes this sparkle was done in the editing room where quick cutting and viewpoint shifts are tweaked nigh past instinctively, making even static scenes seem to crackle with import and menace. And hats off to Blazing Saddles.
Joshua W

August 7, 2012
Although the humor is great, I really didn't care about the plot of this movie. I love it when Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg & Nick Frost work together. They're comedic genieses but I dont think story wise this film had as much to offer as Shawn of the Dead. With that said this is still funny as hell.
Carlos M

December 29, 2010
With a fantastic direction and an Oscar-worthy editing, it boasts a brilliant script that combines hilarious comedy, exhilarating action and clever thriller while paying an incredible attention to the smallest details - though too restrained with violence in its climax.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
Simon Skinner: Michael? Michael? Are you there? Michael? Is everything okay?
Nicholas Angel: Yarp.

After impressing audiences with his cult hit Shaun of the Dead, Edgar Wright reassembled [most of] the same cast and did a buddy-cop flick, entitled Hot Fuzz. If not for the brilliant chemistry between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as two completely opposite partners is engaging and hilarious.

Danny Butterman: It's not murder, it's ketchup.

Edgar Wright's script is filled with memorable one-liners ("You haven't seen Bad Boys II?) and combines the genre's of action and comedy into one fun film. This film is extremely British, filmed in Britain, staring British people. Just how I like it.

Danny Butterman: Supercop. Meet the cop that can't be stopped.

Visually, this is a stunning film. I review Blu-rays for a living (yes, I'm serious), and the editing looks similar to the sequences in these big blockbusters, yet has the smarts of an indie film. What a skillfully lukewarm combination!

For fans of British cinema, Hot Fuzz shall not be missed.

Nicholas Angel: It's Frank! He's appointed himself Judge, Jury and Executioner.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 28, 2011
Hot Fuzz is the best comedy film of 2007. It makes good use of all it's cast members and doesn't over do it with effects and rules in favour of smart scripted comedy, it is probably the best parody film ever made. The comic brilliance of the duo Simon Pegg and Nick Frost has been proven once again! It is an extremely fresh thrill ride with great action sequences and storyline and believe it or not, it even improved itself from Shaun of the Dead!
Scott G

October 27, 2011
An ultimately fresh and upbeat film, the gore is used well and isn't OVER used, it's just simply Edgar Wright, who's work never goes unnoticed and this is no exception, everything in the film is linked there is always something to laugh at, in every scene, there's always action and always entertainment, whether your watching it for the first time, or for the hundredth time.
Idrees K

September 1, 2011
One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time
blkbomb
blkbomb

August 9, 2011
Danny Butterman: Ever fired your gun in the air and yelled, 'Aaaaaaah?'

"They are going to bust your arse."

The second film from the Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost team is a really funny followup to their successful Shaun of the Dead. There's a lot of little references to Shaun of the Dead that are hilarious. Although Hot Fuzz isn't quite as good as Shaun of the Dead; it's still a great comedy in it's own right. As Shaun of the Dead tackled zombie films; Hot Fuzz tackled the buddy cop movies.

It's great as a spoof, yet still really funny as a stand alone movie. If you haven't seen that many of the movies Hot Fuzz is spoofing, it wouldn't really matter. It would still be funny. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost is one of the best comedy teams around. They have great chemistry onscreen together and just make for a really fun experience every time you watch them.

There's a lot to like from Hot Fuzz and not a lot to hate. If you find something to dislike about this movie you are looking way too hard.

Reverend Philip Shooter: Oh, you're an agnostic, then?
Dr. Robin Hatcher: I think I've got a cream for that!
3niR
3niR

June 22, 2011
This is really brilliant! It's hilarious!
Drake T

July 19, 2011
The only time when satire/parody can truly be this disgustingly funny. And with so much style to boot, Hot Fuzz is Pegg and Frost at their best.

There's just so much originality in their particular brand of humor, you'll be laughing constantly at every set piece and every scene. What's more impressive is the genre loyalty, from character archetypes to plot there's very much love for this film.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

March 17, 2008
What I love about Simon Pegg is that he LOVES films and it is evident (as in Shuan Of The Dead) again here.

The film really does have something for everyone. Brilliantly written and well acted with a cast list that is filled with some of my favorite British (TV and Film) stars.

While the film starts of just the way you'd expect it to (silly, light hearted, fun)...it ends up taking a surprisingly dark turn about halfway through and even throws some fairly gruesome special effects into the mix.

The image of an elderly Billie Whitelaw firing a machine gun (beehive hair bouncing with each kickback) was priceless.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 12, 2011
These guys sure can make a funny movie. It not only was funny, but who wouldve thought the actionwouldve been badass, I mean seriously, this action was awesome. imon pegg and Nick Frost are very charming and cool and I love dthere characters. It had smart jokes and the same formula as Shaun of the Dead, another hilarious movie. Hot Fuzz is one of the few comedies yu will see that you will feel smart paying for a buddy cop comedy film.
Kase V

April 30, 2011
An interesting story turns into something maybe a little too silly, but in the end, the ride is WELL worth it. The quick editing techniques that Edgar Wright uses are very effective, and his direction couldn't be better. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are also brilliant as the two leads. This trio is pretty amazing and meshes together beautifully. I can't wait to see what Wright does next. This movie has made me a fan.
Lady D

June 20, 2007
A cleverly crafted, smart comedy with an un-splittable comedy partnership between Pegg and Frost.

Smoothly mimicking it's way through cliched Dramas and stereotypical views of the countryside, along with a borrowed touch of Action and an all star British cast, this comedy gem is a true unique touch to British comedy and is a great watch time and time again.

It doesn't get better than this for Pegg and Frost.