• R, 1 hr. 40 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Hot Tub Time Machine Reviews

Christian C

May 18, 2013
Was this film necessary? I think not -- unless you're a child of the 1980s who never matured emotionally. Awful acting and a worse script. The costumes were the only redeeming element of the film.
maxthesax
maxthesax

November 7, 2012
With such a fantastic title, one would have hoped for an inventive script filled with wit and one liners. Sad to say, there's way too little in the wit department, although there are one or two laugh-out-loud lines.

Consider this - there's a running joke about a one armed porter, who, when the group goes back into the 80's, sees the same porter bi-limbed. Of course the coarsest of the group, drunken wimp loser Lou, can't wait to see the poor porter lose his limb. Ha Ha Ha - well, mildly amusing, but the payoff really doesn't do the setup justice.

The direction of Steve Pink (probably hiding his real identity with that fake non de plume), is way off base - terribly uneven, and lacking focus. The film starts with a bang, showing one of the "travelers" in his dead end job at a dog grooming facility called "Sup Dawg", but then quickly goes into travel log mode and an absolutely lame bit of skiing camaraderie (I doubt that these middle aged losers, especially the drunk, can even find ski bindings let alone race down the slopes).

A further indictment of weak direction is the over reliance on spewing vomit - using it frequently and almost insisting that the viewer regard this as humor - here's a subtle hint: I've never ever thought that viewing vomit, in any way shape or form, to be funny.

Acting wise - John Cusack is totally wasted here (and wtf - he gets wasted and then is totally unphased by all he has ingested and smoked a mere manner of moments later), and Rob Corrdry is vulgar and way too manic - spitting out his lines (and yes, vomit) as if his life depended on it.

The film does have a saving grace - a very strong cameo by Chevy Chase - who utters some truly profound nonsense... an exhibition of writing that far outstrips the rest of the script and makes you wonder if Chase didn't just ad lib the entire thing.

About the only other laugh out loud moment involves the divine intervention of a "magic squirrel", though I will give the writers credit for calling Corrdry's Lou character's band Motley Lew.

Yes, this is a misogynistic guy flick, but that's no excuse for a weak script and a crass equals funny directive. To belabor the obvious, I wish I had a hot tub time machine, so I could recover the 2 hours lost by watching this decidedly mediocre attempt (and gee, isn't that some witty repartee on my part???).
Apeneck F

March 28, 2010
Cusack, one of the producers as well as one of the stars, looks back at his 80's heart-throb roots and asks that we chuckle at the memories ... and sometimes we do in this raunchfest filled with cool 80's tunes. It wasn't like this back then, but it wouldn't have been so bad if it was like this. Kinda fun.
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 31, 2010
This is a silly plot. Middle aged men go back in time via a hot tub. Back to the 80s where they have to relive it all before getting back to reality.
Anthony L

July 16, 2012
Hot tub time machine isn't particularly funny although it has its moments. I really liked its attitude though, it didn't waste any time on back storeys or character development, it just got on with it - quite relentlessly actually. Part of the story was predictable but it's best selling point is that it doesn't even try to be preachy or have a moral to it, it is what it is. Recommended as something original with a couple of laughs.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 15, 2010
Has moments of charming nostalgia but ruined by an overall and unnecessary crassness.
Dean !

April 3, 2011
Far from brilliant or original, but it has a certain charm. If you liked Grown Ups, Old School. Wild hogs it's quite similar to those. Ok for a few laughs to pass the time.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 23, 2010
Can't say i found this movie even a little bit amusing!
It was unfunny, unoriginal and just mediocre! Theres not a lot to this movie, nothing that you probably havent seen before i wouldnt waste my time watching this movie again!
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 25, 2011
It's a gross out comedy version of Back to the Future and an R rated comedy that for once is more funny than gross. The cast are quite adorable and it's much more dumber than The Hangover. Not as good, but it's definetely worth watching. It's also kind of unique in it's own way, because no sci-fi movie has ever been done like this one.
jamers2011
jamers2011

December 6, 2011
Whoa, I regret not watching this when it first came out. The name of it sort of turned me away but watched this with some buddies and it was such a fun movie. Hilarious but seriously very good. Very good dialogue...a lot of funny one-liners. I can't recommend this enough!
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

August 7, 2011
I have one thing to say here: thank Bob that this doesn't take itself very seriously. It doesn't de-evolve into a film about four friends, their life and times together and what their friendship means to each other. Wait a minute, yes it does! Well, sort of, but not really. It's more about the overall idea played out than actually questioning it and getting into the mechanics of it. Hell, even the catalyst for the film (Spoiler: Chevy Chase's character) is never explained or examined. I see it as a great homage to a decade rather than just a screwball comedy, and to me, that's what makes it work. Whenever the story mechanics come into question, it goes away from it and makes fun of itself... and I like that quite a bit. It does get a bit too schlocky in the final minutes, which bothers me a little bit, but everything before that is comedy gold. I'm not sure if it will be one of those great comedies that we'll be talking about twenty years from now, but it certainly feels that way to me. Perhaps it's just the nostalgia. In any case, it hangs a hat on the 1980's, time travel movies and gross-out comedies while at the same time managing to be very witty... not just low-brow.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
Some funny one-liners, that's about it.
Lanning :

July 13, 2011
Pretty far-fetched and 90% ridiculous, but it's a time travel movie that takes itself just seriously enough to be quite entertaining. I very much enjoyed this one. I'm a big Cusack fan, I love the way the relationship between Corddry and Duke develops, and Corddry strikes me as the kind of actor Jack Black wishes he were. Crispin Glover is outstanding in this minor role as the bellboy; he steals every scene he's in.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 26, 2011
Lou: It's the fucking 80's guys. Let's do what we want to do. Free Love!
Jacob: That was the 60's dipshit.
Adam: We had like Reagan and AIDS. Get the fuck outta here, okay. Do the right thing, Violator!

Despite being completely stupid, I love Hot Tub Time Machine. Other than The Hangover and Superbad, I can't think of a comedy that's come out in the last 5 years that's more fun. I love the cast, John Cusack, Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, and Clark Duke. Crispin Glover even has some really funny sequences. The complete ridiculousness of the movie is what makes it so fun. Jacob( Clark Duke) has to worry about being erased, Lou(Rob Corddry) has to repeatedly get the shit beat out of him, Adam(Cusack) has to take a fork to the eye. Everyone has their sacrifices. Craig Robinson has my favorite scene of the movie when he calls his wife, who just happens to be nine. If you go into this remembering your watching a movie called "Hot Tub Time Machine," I believe it will be fairly easy to enjoy.
Dr114
Dr114

June 22, 2011
You want a rated R Back to the Future? Well, here it is! Its raunchy in a hilarious way. It is full of 80's references and I loved it. It is one of my favorite comedies of 2010. Watch it!
Sanjay R

April 30, 2011
A pretty funny movie that is well put together. I did not expect to take this movie very seriously, but it is a full story full of laughs.
Tim S

April 24, 2011
Some really funny moments, but overall just OK. The funniest and most consistent is Craig Robinson as Nick who is hysterical. It was funny to see the nods to great 80's comedies and the Crispin Glover bit never gets old. I enjoyed Corddry, but thought there were times he was a little much and Clark Duke's character could have been cut out of the whole movie and no one would have noticed. Overall, better than I thought it was going to be.
Bobby H

April 18, 2011
It took me awhile to see this one. Comedies today seem to be so over the top that they are almost too stupid to find funny; some people like the whole 'it's so stupid, it's funny thing', but I cannot quite get into that gig. I like the old classic comedies that have some sense of creativity too them...

A time machine that's a hot tub? I wasn't sure which category that would fall under - too stupid, or classic and creative, but I can say after finally sitting down and watching it: Classic and Creative, it was.

Hot Tub Time Machine was well thought up, the time travel element was amazing, and the year was perfect for a comedy to be set in. The cast was well put together, the acting was precise, and the whole movie in general just came together really nicely. It was almost like a modern day, back to the Future; add a little bit more laughs and a little less seriousness of course. It's instant classic, and as far as the comparison to the hang over goes, I'd say this is better. I don't get into a whole lot of comedies anymore, but, I'd see this one again and even purchase it for my collection of blurays.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 13, 2011
A funny movie, big laughs and a good plot, but Cusack and some other minor characters are so unfunny and boring I wanted to tell them they suck.
skactopus
skactopus

January 30, 2011
Steve Pink's Hot Tub Time Machine is as ridiculous as its title. This is both a good and bad thing.Eliminating all the scientific details regarding time travel, which this 90 minute film barely addresses, it has a pretty good premise going for it. That is to say in the first half, before the already thin plot strays away and becomes more of a joke fest for the latter portions.Constant humor is not a bad thing, but if it isn't producing a lot of laughs then the film becomes lackluster, while it loses its amusement factor. The humor is a hit or miss throughout the picture and there are many sexually oriented elements, which is also a mixed bag.John Cusack as a lead isn't a problem. Craig Robinson and Rob Corddy deliver much of the comedy. Robinson is more subtle and overall that makes him more effective. Clark Duke is more along for the ride than anything else, while Lizzy Caplan and Crispin Glover put on good supporting performances.Hot Tub Time Machine isn't much to dwell upon. There are some good laughs, but a masterpiece of a comedy this is not.