• PG-13, 1 hr. 57 min.

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Hottest State Reviews

Mike T

February 12, 2008
The pacing is quite fractured and the dialogue doesn't always work perfectly, but I personally enjoyed this film to a great extent. Overall, it's a very well-written piece guided by subtle direction from Hawke and excellent performances from the entire cast. Sad, engaging and driven by a sense of rare honesty.
Daniel P

April 21, 2007
"Don't you find it odd that when you're a kid everyone in the whole world tells you to follow your dreams, and when you're older they act all offended if you even try?" The Hottest State is Ethan Hawke all over: he directs it, has written the screenplay, wrote the book it is based on and has a small part. The story also feels very much in his ideals; bohemian, 'beat', incredibly romantic, na´ve. It's probably an acquired taste (obviously those who dislike Hawke aren't going to have a good time) but it's one I fell for. Excellently adapted from Hawke's debut novel, it tells the story of how William, shortly before turning 21, quickly falls desperately, hopelessly in love with Sara - an aspiring singer he meets at a bar. The story tells of their short, powerful relationship (entirely from William's perspective but not always from his bias) - as William says in voice-over, his heart would be broken by the time he turns 21. The slow pace makes the most of some truly beautiful photography and is very well shot - often in gorgeous sunlight - with much talking between the two leads about their romance and their future (think very much Before Sunrise/Sunset). The film would fall apart without good lead performances but luckily the casting is spot on: Mark Webber is stunning as William (the New York Post compared him to a young Gary Oldman or Marlon Brando) and Catalina Sandino Moreno gets it perfect as Sara (we can see why William falls in love with her whilst also understanding that her peculiarities may just hide a boring personality, not necessarily an interesting one). Michelle Williams brings personality to a tiny part and Laura Linney and Hawke himself are both wonderful as William's parents. A very romantic romance, made from the heart with care and attention. "I didn't break your heart. Your heart was broken a long time before you met me."
William G

December 27, 2007
Self-absorbed navel-gazing session at least has a tolerable soundtrack.
skully725
May 24, 2009
Worth viewing since Ethan Hawke is in it, and who can resist a movie about highs and lows in this flick.
September 18, 2008
Okay the people that are rating this poorly are WRONG. LISTEN TO ME. If you do not like talky movies where nothing blows up or sinks, you?re going to hate this so don?t bother. Otherwise, Ethan Hawke does an awesome job telling a story about two young people in a young relationship (and I?m not particularly fond of Hawke, btw, so it?s not one of those reviews). OMG, it portrays obsessive, new love perfectly and shows that just because a relationship doesn?t last doesn?t mean it is wrong and should never have happened. (I?m not giving anything away?the first line of the movie tells the viewer this relationship will break his heart.) If anything, watch this movie for Laura Linney who is always so perfect glitter should shoot from the screen when she?s on it. I dunno?I really liked it. Loved it. Five stars?totally. And the music: 5 glittery stars.
Hamee
December 21, 2007
This was a rather stupid movie. I wish I hadn't spent the time watching it, but what's done is done.
February 21, 2008
It hurts, sometimes life is so true like this... bah. And the movie has several, REALLY, good points....
Bengel W.
October 10, 2013
The folksy music assists the storyline with mood and emotions that compliment the actors as they expound the script. Naturalistic acting gives an overall sense of the complicated web of the mind as it seeks to comprehend the beauty within a relationship. Softly acted, bringing forth many thoughts and emotions as the heart breaks. Nibbles: Carrot cake and butterscotch sauce.
Chelsea D.
November 5, 2010
Well, I think this movie was dynamic and true to reality, that's for sure. I really connected with the main charecter a lot, I understand his pain. The only downfall was that this movie was kind of boring, but I loved the mothers. I'd love to have a mom like either in the movie.
Virus
December 22, 2007
Moreno makes this absolutely watchable and their relationship and break up are extremely believeable. The weakness of the film the last 30 min or so, because Moreno is pretty much absent who is the fire of the film.
jazza923
November 30, 2007
5.5/10. If it wasn't so slow moving it really might have been great, but it does drag. The cast is good, especially Catalina Sandino Moreno. Nicely written, well photographed. Not too bad. the characters are well defined.