Hour of the Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hour of the Gun Reviews

deano
½ May 30, 2010
Other riveting, based on the story of showdown between the Earps and the Clanton gang s certainly as much a part of American mythology as I believe this since I last watched 1994's Wyatt Earp.
There are solid performances all around, beginning with James Garner who plays a hero with a badge, and is powerful in his intensity. And Jason Robards Jr. is quite good in his character, and does deliver a couple of colorful lines to Earp. The relationship and chemistry between the two men is unique. It's difficult to outline, but it's like these two were old souls who would go through hell with/for each other and never need to wonder or to argue it.
garyX
February 6, 2007
An unusually dour James Garner in another solid telling of the Wyatt Earp story, unusually opening with the gunfight at the OK Corral. Jason Robards is a nicely sardonic Doc Holliday, and it's solidly handled by Sturges (also responsible for The Magnificent Seven).
February 27, 2011
Excellent western- Be sure to check it out on HD Movie Net
January 12, 2013
The first three minutes is the gunfight at the OK corral. The rest is "the story exactly as it happened," according to the large message at the beginning of the movie. It certainly contains more lawyers than most other tellings. Director John Sturges reacts to the changing times a bit, I think, in that he makes things a bit more gray; Earp lets his more brutal nature out while Doc Holliday assumes the unusual role of moral compass. Still quite old-fashioned in its violence, which is almost bloodless. Garner and Robards are of course excellent.
½ February 17, 2011
The movie depicts Wyatt Earp and the life after the gun shooting at Tombstone. I felt like the film was filled with many different actors known. I felt like the acting felt flat and didn't feel really invested in the characters. I felt like the characters and the film was so serious that it was missing out on the humor.
May 27, 2010
So-so take on the legendary Wyatt Earp and his partner Doc Holliday. Works as a sequel to "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral." Unlike every other Earp movie, the gunfight starts at the beginning and the story begins from there. Fresh take on the overdone character.
September 26, 2009
Good, not great. Mainly worth seeing for Jason Robards excellent performance as Doc Holliday and the stylized touches in the cinematography. The famous gunfight is probably depicted more accurately here than in any version I've seen. They had the makings of an excellent movie and felt obliged to tack a trite Hollywood ending on it. Tombstone is better.
September 17, 2009
Great cast in a very slow moving western. It does have its rewarding moments though. The production is fine and it's well photographed. Fair period detail but lavish art direction. Check out a very young Jon Voight.
September 17, 2009
½ March 20, 2008
It is, first of all, beautiful to look at. The performances and plot are also sound and good, but the story doesn't have the perfect sense of poetic justice that "Gunfight" had.
June 4, 2007
A pretty good western with an interesting take on the gunfight at the OK Corral, and more importantly what happens afterwards.
November 14, 2015
151121: I enjoyed this film quite a bit. Classy, older western with a unique look at what occurred after the gunfight near the OK Corral.
½ September 22, 2012
Not a bad take on the aftermath of the OK corral. It was serious though and not for the light hearted. Garner was strong.
½ April 1, 2014
Ironically, this movie opens with the claim that it was a true story and exactly how it happened.

Yet, the gun fight did not happen at the OK Corral, but in a vacant lot on another street, and when Jason Robards as Doc claims during the post fight court hearing to have killed many men while in the Civil War, Doc was 9 when the war began and 13 when it ended.

Those, among other major errors, make this movie entertaining, but anything but true!
September 3, 2013
Great character study.
January 12, 2013
½ February 17, 2011
November 3, 2012
A film which admirably aims to re-write history with a compelling character study much less focused on heroism. The film however lacks drive and impact.