Hurlyburly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hurlyburly Reviews

November 20, 2006
A great movie with incredible characterization.
December 13, 2009
Self-indulgent b.s. Spacey proves he can talk a million-miles-a-minute about a whole lot of nothing.
June 8, 2009
I've read a lot of feedback to this film, which is by and large rather negative. I've noticed that people who dislike the characters occupying Hurlyburly often criticize the film itself as a result. We are not intended to embrace the lifestyles of these characters. This is a picture that encompasses a sub-culture and the neuroses of certain types of people. It is an intelligent, articulate piece with a venomous sense of cynicism and blunt sensibility. The men focused on are self-obsessed chauvinists, but they are not reduced to amplification of their flaws. Their pain and dilemmas are familiar, and they serve towards an unnerving portrait of emptiness. I loved this movie because I love great acting. Watching what some of these actors do with the script is so exciting and astonishing, particularly the brilliant Sean Penn. The writing and performances are phenomenal, but this is a movie that probably only appeals to people who like stage-oriented pieces.
March 4, 2008
With this cast, the film should have been so much better than it is. It's a pleasant enough ride, that ultimately goes nowhere.
July 4, 2007
Clever dialogue, great cinematics, and rolling plotlines. Those who appreciate educated English, method acting, and well-rounded characters, will enjoy this film.
If all you want is hip hop slang and Bruckheimer action, go elsewhere.
½ April 11, 2013
Yet another one that I just didn't get into. A sort of great cast cannot save what might have been a decent play.
April 10, 2006
Completely dialogue driven film. And the dialogue is great. Wait til you hear Sean Penn going on and on while out of his gourd on coke at 7am.
½ October 7, 2015
You pulled out a broken vibrator?

Eddie is a Hollywood playboy of sorts with a chick he wants to settle down with along with a couple chicks on the side he needs to potentially get rid of. He has a group of Hollywood movers and shakers he hangs out with at his fantastic house. They share stories and feelings on Eddie's direction. Can any of Eddie's friends help him get his head together?

"It's like this invasion of tits and ass."

Anthony Drazan, director of Zebrahead, Imaginary Crimes, Trinity, and EDNY, delivers Hurlyburly. The storyline for this picture is very dry, boring, and lacking. The acting is solid but the script and character development is just okay. The cast includes Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Meg Ryan, Gary Shandling, Chazz Palminteri, and Elaine Corral Kendall.

"You're getting me wet. Don't get me wet."

I came across this on cable and had to DVR it (Indie Channel). This grabbed my attention due to fantastic cast but unfortunately that wasn't enough to save this dreadful movie. There wasn't much going on here and I recommend skipping this.

"You enjoy hitting people?"

Grade: D
½ June 15, 2015
An occasionally funny flick about self-involved Hollywood types and their meaningless lives as they flounder through existence trying to cope and comprehend what happens to them, mostly while they're high on drugs. Almost like a West Coast Seinfeld, but less funny and with muddled minds. Good acting, but too long.
October 18, 2013
Movie was 90% dialogue. Cocaine snorting men arguing about feelings and symantecs. Sean Penn's acting was great but the movie was a waste of time to watch.
½ January 31, 2013
This was the movie that made me decide to start exposing myself in public.
March 24, 2012
Never before have I seen a film and "hated" its characters more than this movie. I suppose in that sense, the movie might be a success.
½ February 19, 2012
havnt seen it in years, buts its stuck in my memory as maybe the worst movie ive scene
November 24, 2011
This film contains some quintessential performances by Penn and Spacey, and even serves to redeem seriously second and third tier actors like Chazz Palminteri (level two) and Robin Wright, Garry Shandling, and even Meg Ryan (level three). All that and Anna Paquin plays basically a coked up run-away underage hooker. This film has basically everything you could want to see about a bunch of drug-addled, complete misogynistic prick, Hollywood scumbag producers. Brilliant.
November 9, 2011
this is a play, and one ryans best most intense roles shes pretty amazing she doesn't do this much, and the rest of the cast rocks too, its a powerful movie, not for everyone, its edgy.
August 14, 2011
Great movie if you get the circumstances that the movie tries to touch. The downer is life! Cherish true friendship.
July 19, 2011
Sean Penn's performance is great but the story is so depressing and nasty that it was almost unwatchable for me. Sometimes I don't get why such awful movies like this are made.
April 30, 2011
Scary portrait of addiction and self-obsession
August 12, 2010
The name is perfectly fitting in this whirlwind of sex, drugs, violence and self realization crossed with some top notch rhetoric and witty conjecture. But ultimately the entire collection falls flat.

I rate this one 57/100