I Like Killing Flies Reviews

Tired of Previews
July 27, 2011
Documentary time: I Like Killing Flies.

If you don't care for a restaurant owner who curses at you, questions why you didn't like his food (by sometimes eating what you did not) or tells you CANNOT seat more than 4 people, and if you try you will get thrown out - FOR LIFE, you might not want to watch the documentary: I Like Killing Flies. But if you are like me, someone who likes curmudgeons, really good food and a unique atmosphere - then watch the documentary as soon as possible!

Now I don't review documentaries like I do the fictional movies so I am not going to give this any rating except to say after watching this one I wanted to book a flight to New York City ASAP!!

This is about Kenny Shopsin and family and their New York eatery. It has been there for years and by the looks of it not cleaned a lot over those years. But I didn't mind that. It was the philosophy of Kenny Shopsin, cook and owner, that had me totally fascinated. He has his own unique way of how he sees life, how a restaurant should be run and if you don't agree him then you can GO F#%* YOURSELF! Really, that is how he talks to his customers. I had a huge smile on my face the entire time and after watching this film you will probably see what I saw: A man dedicated to the best meal he can cook for you. Nothing else matters!

Now you are thinking how can he get away with being so rude to customers? Well, one reason: THE FOOD! I will admit I have not eaten there and after watching I really, really want to (and I will abide by all his rules - trust me) but we got his cookbook and followed a few of his techniques. He's a genius! Plus, in his crass way he is usually right. No, I wouldn't want to be yelled at by him but I really want to go and see how great this food really is in real life.

I thoroughly enjoyed his philosophies throughout the documentary. It really made me think. But there were a few in his cookbook which we bought right after seeing the film: Eat Me: The Food Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin - that had me howling with laughter.

There is one in particular that I so enjoyed: On Not Allowing Special Requests. Here is a segment from his cookbook: "Some people tell me that they're deathly allergic to something and that I have to make sure it's not in their food. I kick them out. I don't want to be responsible for anyone's life-or-death situation. I tell them they should go eat at a hospital."

You also have to see his menu - there is a copy of it in the cookbook and they show it in the documentary. It is truly an amazing menu. Trust me!
December 4, 2010
Interesting doc on eccentric cook in NY who lives by his own wacky rules and morals. His menu is strangely appealing.
January 10, 2013
One of the most heart felt, honest, and delicious documentaries I have ever seen. I Like Killing Flies dives deep into Greenwich Village's most eccentric restaurant ever, Shopsin's. Kenny Shopsin and his radical, but perfectly rational "no rules (except for one) apply here" attitude have attracted faithful and curious customers for over 35+ years. But now Eve and Kenny Shopsin face a political direction that forces them to move shop and face the adversities of turning over a new leaf.
½ April 28, 2011
It's funny that this movie really makes me both really want to eat there and be really afraid of eating there. But it's gone now, so I guess it doesn't matter. Was that a spoiler?

This is really a character piece doc and a pretty damn good one. I can't find too much to complain about other than not being able to set up shots properly (which isn't their fault) or not editing around it in a better way (don't tease). So besides a bit too much of the dawdle on complaining about customers or food assembly issues, this is a pretty good doc.
½ March 31, 2011
The movie is based on the rwal life cook that was the inspiration for the soup nazi on Seinfeild. He has some wackey rules and feels new customers have to prove they are worthy to be served. The foods looks good, and I would imagine it has to be since the resturant is a dive. Many customers worry they might be banned. One cook and almost 200 recipes, many of which are unique creations.
March 22, 2008
This has to be the guy that was portrayed in 'Seinfeld' as the Soup Nazi. He treats his customers like crap & will kick people out for stupid reasons, even if the restaurant is empty. But, he has the biggest menu I've ever seen.
½ October 9, 2008
i love documentaries. i love interesting people. a great human interest story combined with some awesome looking food & an impressive menu.
June 24, 2007
This is a great Sunday afternoon type documentary. The kind of flick that you randomly come across on some random station in the 300-400 channel # range. I loved it. You basically are just given a ticket inside the world of a cook/owner at an old school neighborhood friendly restaurant. Kenny Shopsin is a great guy to follow around; not only is the food he cooks interesting; but the philosophies and views he has on life are insightful and suprisingly intelligent. Just imagine The Soup Nazi(from Sienfeld) if he went to college and got a philosophy degree. I really had a good time with it... don't expect something amazing; but do expect a charming little gem that not too many people will ever get to experience.
February 26, 2013
One of the best low-budget docs I've seen. Kenny is a fascinating character.
February 6, 2013
A entertaining look at a eccentric New York restaurant owner and chef Kenny Sopsin. Not shy on giving his 2 cents worth on any topic, Kenny can either warm your heart or get on you last nerve.
½ November 10, 2012
A well made documentary it isn't but it doesn't need to be. The proof is in the pudding. You can't take your eyes off of Shopsin, he's spewing his philosophy and cooking his concoctions like their is no tomorrow.
Tired of Previews
July 27, 2011
Documentary time: I Like Killing Flies.

May 19, 2012
I was astonished and amazed that I actually ended up liking this loud, crass, intelligent, vulgar, eccentric, introspective, witty, rude, kind, compassionate, abrasive, grimy, restaurant owner...
November 27, 2011
What a truly remarkable documentary, I always knew the "soup nazi" was based on a real person, at a real restaurant, but had never come across this movie. Not at all what I was expecting. Anyone who gives this a bad review is just a moron. Don't listen to them and give this man and his family his du...read moree and watch this. What truly impressed me was that for such a supposedly uncompromising man, his insights into life, and the meaning of it, are impressive. I only wish I could experience his restaurant someday.
April 13, 2012
Not a perfect documentary, but an interesting and often funny view into the life of a New York food legend.
March 27, 2012
One of the best documentaries I've seen. It's unconventional, at times crazy and touching throughout. Kenny Shopsin is the man.
July 6, 2011
I've been meaning to go to Shopsin's since moving to NYC, but still haven't made it. Interesting that famed music video director Matt Mahurin directed this *after* some of his most visually stunning videos were ten years old ... the production values are terrible here, but the movie is worth watching. It's a shame his second location didn't work out, as now he's crammed the restaurant into a cubicle at Essex Street Market.
July 30, 2011
As a documentary head, I love how this movie captured all the personalty from Kenny Shopsins shop. This movie captures the soul, and the beautiful thing that Shopsins has. From discussing how certain food is created, to how and why he treats people the way he does. This film has it all except one of Kenny Shopsins meals it self.

If you're ever in NYC, catch this movie and then catch a bite to eat. As a native New yorker, Shopsins is one of my favorite restaurants. This documentary is up there as well.

Carol walks in... "didn't you watch this already?"
I respond... "THIS MOVIE IS THE TRUTH!!!"
½ July 6, 2011
Funny and honest point of view. I loved it.
June 22, 2011
Illegal, immoral & fattening, ie perfectly delicious!