97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

I Am Number Four Reviews

John M

May 25, 2011
A watchable sci fi story with TV teen style acting. Really i could have seen this being on the little screen be it either Disney or CW or something or other. While not bad and not a horrible idea. It really seemed very small for the big screen.
Anthony L

January 2, 2014
As painful to the ears as it is to the eyes. I am number 4 has the worst dialogue I've heard in a long time. Teenage Alien with angst meets human teenagers with similar angst and team up to fight other aliens who want to kill them for no apparent reason. It is dull beyond belief, poorly written and acted and relies heavily on special effects and a monster fight in the end. The cliches are too many to mention. Should be called I am a big fat number 2.
Jens S

December 12, 2010
Decent Sci-Fi young adult adaption that falls short in the world-building aspect. The special effects are great, especially during the spectacular showdown, but you hardly get a background for any of the characters, much less the world and conflict they are coming from. That takes some of the fascination away for the topic of aliens with powers being among us and leaves the film somewhat flat. It's still pretty entertaining, with lots of attractive newcomers and at least makes you curious about seeing or reading more of this.
Christian C

May 20, 2013
Somewhat interesting plot that could have been more fun than it actually was. Then again, I could look at Pettyfer and drool for hours on end. Good movie? M'eh. But I'd see it again.
Luke B

March 8, 2012
I was very pleasantly surprised by this film. In this day and age, everything is trying to be the new teen driving force of fantasy fiction. Usually focussing on an outsider that belongs to a bizarre otherworldly group. We've done wizards, vampires, and now we have aliens. I Am Number Four sees Alex Pettyfer star as a boy that must run from location to location, along with his guardian Henri. They are being hunted as they are part of an alien race wiped out on their home planet by the Mogadorian. There are 9 special kids with different powers. 3 have already been killed. Pettyfer has all the key ingredients to be a leading man. He has looks and charm, and is able to carry enough emotion when he needs to. I Am Number Four is nothing new at all, but it does do everything well. Perhaps I was in the mood for something simple. You get your cliched high school characters, and their usual relationships. Pettyer falls fro the ex of the high school hero jock etc. Makes friends with the creepy conspiracy kid and so on. But I liked all these characters. The action was fantastic and I felt really involved. Gun battles, exciting foot chases, martial arts, and all of it filmed so you can tell precisely what is going on. It's one of those films that was exactly what I wanted at the time. I will certainly be reading the books after this.
Dean !

May 26, 2011
A decent sci-fi/action flick. It has some cool fights, odd creatures, good SFX and a cool cast. Perfect blockbuster material, not that deep story wise but plenty of entertainment. It could be the start of a new franchise, wait and see!
Thomas J

November 29, 2010
I guess I am just a big enough syfi fan that I found this to be a refreshing "teen", action, syfi movie and I quite enjoyed it.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 2, 2011
I am number four's premise is far too familiar and cheesy. The acting in the film is bad and the action sequences are certainly not gripping. It's forgettable and nothing in the film is resolved.
Clintus M.
Clintus M.

October 31, 2011
I Am Number Four is a decent sci-fi adventure that oversteps its boundaries but is enjoyable nonetheless. Prior to first watching it, I anticipated the sci-fi element but not the high school new guy/ romance angle. As others have expounded on at length, this film isn't too original or thought-provoking, but the action is engrossing and I cared somewhat for the characters. As far as being derivative, Number Four apes many earlier efforts such as the director's own Disturbia, the X-files, X-men, and even Twilight. The "can't fit in" high school subplot has been done to death, and this movie obviously pursues the teen audience with that plot.

If this film is supposed to be the beginning of a franchise, then I am underwhelmed by the premise, but it could be a lot worse. I enjoyed this much more than any of the Twilight films. There are plenty of holes in the plot and unanswered questions, possibly due to planned sequels. Maybe one or both female characters, Dianna Agron or Teresa Palmer (under-utilized) will play larger roles. Too bad Timothy Olyphant's character is killed, because he's got the acting chops to carry this. One last thing, using a beagle as a shape-shifter capable of defending John Smith against gigantic monsters is amusing yet defying all limits of believability. That could also be said about anything in this movie.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

November 30, 2010
I don't care about everyone's saying about this movie, but I just happen to love this movie.. I think D.J. Caruso once again successfully create another teenage movie which was fun and thrilling at the same time.. The cast did an okay job, choosing Alex Pettyfer as the main role with the help from two beautiful girl (Teresa Palmer and Dianna Agron), this movie is totally stealing my attention.. I haven't read the book, but I'm sure the book has a lot of fun to be offered since I love the movie..
michael e.
michael e.

September 17, 2011
I am not that sure on how to feel about this movie, its strange, and there are a lot of moments that make no sense whatsoever. But overall all i can say about this movie is that its okay.
skactopus
skactopus

September 3, 2011
D.J. Caruso gets a few things done right in I Am Number Four, but it isn't enough to consider this a spectacular picture.Although taking up a good 105 minutes to unfold a story that is hardly original to begin with, there are a lot of things left unsaid. Actually, there are a lot of things said, but just not the right things because the story spends too much time on the dramatic relationship and not enough on the science fiction. The provided details for what should be the most interesting element of the story comes out as simple and brief explanations all throughout the film, which leaves things rather unamusing and the need for wanting to know more.The action and effects are noteworthy. The only problem is that the good stuff is withheld until the film's final act; therefore, it is a journey to get to it all.There isn't much to talk about when it comes to Alex Pettyfer. He is a John Smith and that's all there is to it. Fortunately, Timothy Olyphant and Kevin Durand are able to help out where they can. Dianna Agron provides some eye candy and Teresa Palmer shows up at the right moments, which there aren't enough of.I Am Number Four isn't all it's cracked up to be; however, it is a watchable movie.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 25, 2010
Cast: Alex Pettyfer, Timothy Olyphant, Dianna Agron, Teresa Palmer, Callan McAuliffe, Kevin Durand, Jake Abel, Jeff Hochendoner, Patrick Sebes

Director: D.J. Caruso

Summary: After nine aliens flee their home planet to find a peaceful life on Earth, their plans are shattered by pursuers who must kill them in number order. Number Four is a teen named John (Alex Pettyfer), who uses his extraordinary abilities to battle his enemies. John's guardian, Henri (Timothy Olyphant), aids him in his deadly fight while he tries to protect his human girlfriend, Sarah (Dianna Agron), and connect with the others who share his powers.

My Thoughts: "I had planned on not seeing the movie, but my niece begged for it. So we sit down to watch it and I realize the actor Alex Pettyfer is the lead in the film. Another reason I had not want to watch the movie. I had just seen this actor in another film called ''Beastly", and his acting was nothing more then bland and robotic. But then again 'Beastly wasn't that great of a movie either. So with all that weighing the film down, how did I end up giving it a four star rating? Well because surprisingly enough the movie was pretty good. Alex Pettyfer was great in this role and did a good job in the movie. I guess I shouldn't write off actor's after only seeing them in one film. The story is interesting, as well as most of the character's. Timothy Olyphant was definitely a plus for the movie. He does well in those mysterious intense roles. Kevin Durand plays the Commander of the Mogadorian aliens and he and his crew brought the humor to the film which is odd considering they were the bad guys in the flick. Dianna Agron plays Sarah, a character I felt didn't bring anything to the story and I just didn't care for her character. Plus she wasn't really memorable after Number 6, Teresa Palmer, was brought onto the screen. Teresa Palmer blows on to the screen with her kick-ass ways and steals the show. Palmer and Pettyfer were really great together in the action scenes. There's definitely more to the story so hopefully we will get a sequel or I guess I could just read the books since that was suggested to me as well. Anyways, a good sci-fi flick that is worth the rental."
Matt G

February 11, 2011
There's nothing particularly "terrible" about 'I Am Number Four', but I find it to be a completely unnecessary and uninteresting film, even with a semi-strong premise and a top-notch actor (Timothy Olyphant, The Crazies). In the end, I just thought it was a lame flick that was obviously aimed at 12-year-old girls obsessed with the lead (Alex Pettyfer, Beastly) or the 'Glee' star (Dianna Agron). To my surprise, Agron was very good in her role, and I find her to be a great actress who deserves so much more than this. Alex Pettyfer, on the other hand, is quite possibly the worst actor of all time (no joke, he was terrible). As one of my favorite actors, I was only interested in seeing this film because of Timothy Olyphant. Olyphant was the best in this, as well as the only magnificent actor in this, but doesn't get nearly enough screen time or character development. Anyways, the film is the literal definition of cheesy. In the first 20 minutes, we already have the classic "walking away from an explosion behind you" as well as the unoriginal chase sequences, which serve for maybe a crumb of fun, but certainly don't help make the film look any better. If any of this wasn't enough, I was just plain bored by the attempt to create a complex plot, and adding Michael Bay as a producer certainly doesn't give this it's due, it just adds a bit of 'Transformers' chaos to an already overstuffed film. Although there are unoriginal, uninspired sequences, they were the best part of the film. Every sequence is completely ridden with special effects, yet look fairly realistic, and do serve some fun into a failure of a film. My favorite sequence was watching John parkour throughout the forest, which was wildly entertaining and just plain awesome. Unfortunately, the scene lasts about 45 seconds. As if I haven't mentioned a countless number of flaws, my next gripe with this film was the underdeveloped character development. Due to no not knowing anything about the characters, I simply did not at all care about any of them, and spent most of the film wondering why we are focusing on such a plain and weird character, when we don't know anything about him. I've enjoyed all of D.J. Caruso's (Disturbia, Eagle Eye), but I can't back him up this time, as I did with 'Eagle Eye'. Caruso's directing style is just all over the place in this, and doesn't quite know what he's doing, character-wise. However, he does craft some mighty fine action sequences. I do have one praise for this, and that is that there are few, but strong individual moments throughout that I appreciated except it was not nearly enough to make it charming. I guess if you are into this sort of thing, then go for it, but if you aren't, stay very far away from 'I Am Number Four'.
Everett J

July 29, 2011
"I am Number Four" is a hybrid of different movies thrown together. It's an alien meets "X-men" hanging out with "Twilight". Some good, and some pretty bad special effects don't really help this movie out much. The story is pretty weak. It's pretty much about an alien who's hiding out in a high school, trying not to be found/killed by other aliens. The acting is horrible(unless you are really into the "Twilight" movies, then you will think this is the best acting of the year so far). Alex Pettyfer is just as robotic here as he is in "Beastly". The guy has no charisma whatsoever. I get that he's a supermodel or something, but that doesn't mean he can act. The only performance here that is decent is Timothy Olyphant as his guardian. He's usually great in everything, but here he is just ok. I don't think it's really his fault, he doesn't have a whole lot to work with. Also, the powers that John(Pettyfer) have are weak and been done a lot better in "X-Men". He can move this just by holding out his hands, and when he gets angry his palms turn into flashlights(yeah, I'm serious). It's ok for a one time watch, but only if you don't have to pay for it. I'd suggest either "X-Men" or "Sky High" instead of this.
Jason Lalljee
Jason Lalljee

June 29, 2011
I AM NUMBER FOUR was released a few months ago in hopes of becoming the start of a new franchise. When the book was first released (Which I read), it was marketed as the "Next Harry Potter," which was my first turn off. It was generating a lot of hype weeks prior to release, and it was already in production a week before it hit shelves- I didn't appreciate all the commercialization that was put into this book, especially since it is so obviously devoted to formula. Nevertheless, I read it and though it was okay, because who can argue with chemistry. I knew, however (and my expectations are usually right) that this movie would flop.

D.J. Caruso, director of DISTURBIA, obviously knows how to hold a camera. Alex Pettyfer knows how to work a six- pack, and Teresa Palmer is apparently a scene- stealing action star. This movie is a good example of taking film for granted. Back in the time of our great-grandaddys, films only got made if they were good. Now, becoming a part of everyday lifestyle, get made for no better reason then they'll make money, and to no improvement in style except for the renovations modern technology give to us. Yes, the special effects here are very impressive as are the action sequences (thanks to the careful guidance of TRANSFORMERS director Michael Bay and executive producer of the film) but apparently that is what passes as film these days because they failed when presenting a successful literary adaption as well as producing a proper story. The story was a problem to begin with- most of the book focuses on the alien-human romance between John and Sarah, but there's no drama to that relationship (besides the I-can't-date-you-because-it's-too-dangerous-drama) and no sustenance to the story. Nothing happens until the very end, and even that's pretty much a let-down. Besides special effects, I did notice the sound mixing was pretty well done, but then again, who goes to see a film just to see how it sounds?

I have to say, most of this film was rested on the shoulders of the young cast, but none of them are all that good. Pettyfer and Palmer are both way to laughably British to be believable, and even then the dialogue their left to work with is nothing special. The characterizations are a bit drawling- these are reasons I don't appreciate modern technology in film. It makes film makers think they don't have to produce a proper storyline or proper characters. There is a great possibility that the next few installments will contain deeper storylines (and you know that there will be more adaptions) and hopefully, if the next few films are placed in the right hands, it could succeed as a watchable film. If the young actors get better, then that's another plus.

Basically, this movie is a crowd pleaser for most teenagers. It seems to be like TWILIGHT, except also aiming towards a male demographic, which I give points for the attempt. I'll watch the next few films closely to see if they improve, but right now, I AM NUMBER FOUR is a mostly lukewarm piece of film.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
It was even better than I expected it to be. A really great action film with a great story. Throughly enjoyed it! A must see!
Wildaly M

June 15, 2011
This was kinda original but kinda cheesy at the same time. There was an attempt at a romantic subplot which was a flop. The action was kinda cool but I seriously think the book is better.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 25, 2011
Awful film, story is cliche and dumb, ending sucked. The plot was worthless and it was absoloutely Hollywood. The effects were nothing great, just explosions and a little CGI. The actors sucked, its just teens fighting deformed freaks, there stupid. There was cliche moments and stupid points, making it one of this years worst films.
Kristijonas F

June 13, 2011
It was predictable, juvenile, and yes, maybe even completely unnecessary. But I actually quite enjoyed this slight distraction of a sci-fi tale... and besides, if this franchise picks up steam in the future, it may provide us some entertainment for summers to come.