47% The Other Woman Apr 25

I Declare War Reviews

Everett J

July 29, 2013
***1/2

"I Declare War" is a ballsy movie, that I'm surprised was able to get made in today's world. I'm glad it did, it just surprises me. The movie is basically a game of capture the flag between a group of 12-13 year old kids out in the woods. They use sticks as guns, water balloons as bombs, and real world tactics to win. But, the movie is shown through their eyes as to what they see. Which is machine guns, bazooka's, blood, and death. This is very R rated, which is perfect, because it's exactly how it should be. When I was little and played stuff like this it's exactly how I saw it. When you shot your friend you saw in your mind them get shot, that's why they call it pretend. There is a lot of cussing and violence, but again this is how real teens are when they do this. I can see why a lot of people would be put off by it, or disgusted, especially with all the gun violence in schools today. But, you have to forget that when seeing this. These kids are playing a game, a game that just about every kid plays at some point. I'm glad it wasn't a PG movie where they are nicey nice with each other. Very accurate, and very entertaining. There are some good twists and turns, and the lines between what is real and pretend get blurry. But, at the end it's a fantastic film, that will remind you of what it's like to be a kid. The good, the bad, and the ugly of it all.
Emily A

September 11, 2012
The filmmakers have said in interviews that when they watched Stand By Me and Goonies, they really felt like those filmmakers really remembered what it was like to be kids. That's the type of film they set out of make and they succeeded with flying colours. It's about a bunch of kids playing capture the flag in the woods one weekend. I loved it so much, mostly because I totally used to play war like this when I was younger, and I imagine my games with the neighbour kids would probably have gotten this out of hand if A) I could have gotten more people to participate and B) we were unsupervised for long enough. The way the kids play is coloured entirely by who they are individually and pretty much magnifies the best and worst of them. Strange and arbitrary things are important to you when you're in elementary school and I Declare War never forgets this. As a profoundly immature, overgrown kid I know exactly where this movie is coming from. I enjoyed it as much today as I would have if I'd seen it when I was twelve. Great movie. May yet become a classic.
Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

July 16, 2013
Underneath the waves of summer blockbusters and groundbreaking independent films are smaller, not widely discussed efforts despite the praise they receive. I Declare War is one of those movies having debuted as a work-in-progress print at ActionFest in North Carolina in April, where it took home the jury prizes for Best Film and Best Screenplay. It then went on to a triumphant premiere at last month's Toronto International Film Festival. It later took top honors in Texas, winning the Fantastic Fest Audience Award. If the film speaks for itself it proves its praises are all well earned with a gleeful sendup to war films and remembers it was to be a kid.

I Declare War takes place during summer in the middle of a war game between neighbourhood kids turning deadly serious when jealousy and betrayal enter the mix. The premise will leave some unfulfilled with the results in terms of silly motivations, kids taking a game of war serious, and speaking in ways kids don't normally do. Although the film accomplishes what it sets out to do successfully. It's not trying to be a metaphor for complicated issues, but a pleasant dark comedy. The kids take this simple game of war seriously and therefore we do too with how it's handled. Being character driven with each kid having their own personality and motivation for taking part of this game of war. For some it is simple like making friends and for the only girl in the game to impress a boy she likes. To silly ones from killing (with painted filled balloons) a general for not wanting to take hostage against the rules to making a boy get a leaf to break the teammates trust. The kids themselves play the game with more wit than actual imaginary stick gunplay. The two kids general are always planning ways to defeat and outsmart the enemy. I dare say it's more witty than some war films make themselves look. Outsmarting in a battle keeps this simple kids game engaging wanting to see what the next offensive or defensive strategy is next. The humor is spot on poking fun of the war film archetypes portrayed by kids. Taking the game itself very serious to create situations and unexpected outcomes with how the kids solve them. Also, the dialogue these kids speak while outrageous (a kid general talks about Napoleon Bonaparte and his leadership) it is at all time moving things forward and developing the characters. If you're expecting some deep commentary on how kids see violence you won't that get that here. It doesn't encourage violence among the youth (it actually discourages it), but replicate what it felt like fun we once had as a kid.

The acting from the young and consistent age cast is good. They are believable in their role not only acting like kids, but being offer the freedom to improvise scenes and dialogue make their acting stronger. This freedom pays off well offering laughs and a sense of a strong friendship among the cast. The entire film is shot in the woods. The camera-work is virtually all steady maintaining fluid motion throughout, despite the natural obstacles inherent in shooting on a forest floor. The combatants often move with the frame and not through it, as though we were running right alongside them. These tracking shots bring the viewer right into the action, allowing us to feel as if we're part of the game. So much you will at times have trouble distinguishing what's imaginary and what's real. Composers Eric Cadesky and Nick Dyer crafted an intricate score that's surprisingly heavy, serving as a perfect dramatic counterpoint to the child's play in the great outdoors. The action dictates the viewer's emotions, not the clichéd tugging of heartstrings with violins and cellos, and that's as it should be.

I Declare War is a delightful dark comedy that makes war film cliches amusing and one that makes reminds how it to be a kid. It is gleefully overblown, ridiculous, and allot of fun just like the times we all played games with our friends as kid.

November 4, 2013
I decided to watch this movie after reading a few reviews of my RT friends praising it. This Canadian make-believe action film is written and co-directed by Jason Lapeyre and Robert Wilson. It seems that Canadians love it, and it was understandable that it was in the Official Selection of the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival. But, I am not Canadian... and here is a chance to hear from someone who wasn't impressed by this "work of art".

First thing you will notice is that the film has no mood - it seemed like a bunch of fantasies thrown together using meandering narrative, repetitious conceit and loose editing. I heard someone praising the acting, but to me most of the young actors were performing sub-standardly. Not that it made any difference, because the directors made the point in the first five minutes, and after that the rest felt like a fully extended bubble gum which was sticking to everyone who'll touch it - not at all a pleasant experience. I want to apologize to all the fans of this movie, but I really could not understand what all the fuss was about. I'm not writing this review because I just need to feel mean for a moment- actually the reason is completely opposite. I am trying to be as nice as possible for something which bored me, tested my patience and made me regret the wasted time spent at the front of the screen.

At the end I wondered about the reason of making this movie: satire, exercise in kids screaming and swearing, or just letting kids copy adults and become deranged members of the society?! Please, help me understand!
Luke E

July 31, 2013
My first film at MIFF; "I Declare War", Set purely on a group of kids playing capture the flag, Although they appear to be plaing with sticks and stones the film dipics them of what they see inside their minds using minds. It was an entertaining and heartwarming tale with thrilling action, radical tones, and an impressive execution for a first feature director. I do recomend this! ;)
January 12, 2014
Establishing the premise and boundaries in the opening minutes, this part war film/part coming of age drama blurs the lines between fantasy and reality as 2 groups of kids play a rather extreme version of capture the flag. Their twig rifles and slingshots become sub-machine guns and cross bows as the viewer is transported into the children's imagination.
The very impressive young cast deal with a complex and witty script very well. It's basically a story of the complexities of friendship, betrayal and female seduction.
It's a very amusing riot. It has the influence of Lord of the Flies and a hint of Apocalypse Now, only the violence is mostly make believe...mostly. Michael Friend's Skinner is quite the Brando of the piece. He is kray kray.
Yousef S.
January 12, 2014
A movie about kids playing a war game and their relationships are put to the test just to win. If you are a kid don't be fooled by the cast of characters. Seriously this movie was more messed up than I suspected it to be. The Entire cast are children, with the exception of a few overly emotional teenagers whom have no problems throwing the 'F' bomb without a care in the world.
December 1, 2013
I cant make up my mind about this film. One the one hand The symbolism is really heavy handed & silly. But I think it could be useful as teaching tool.....seeing it gets you thinking. ....I just not sure
November 24, 2013
Not sure what the movie was about. The story didn't seem to go move- add up. Most of the kid's seemed to have psychological problem. Felt like it was a experiment done on mental kids !!!

November 4, 2013

November 5, 2013
I think that kid Skinner, if he pursue acting business he would be something more. Even the movie is targeted PK and Paul as the 'good' guys, 80% of the movie is emotionally leaded by Skinner, every time you see him on stage you feel the emotional input. I was surprised by his performance about 40 minutes passed in the movie.
November 5, 2013
Now that's what calls a war!
Wiggz Flix
October 31, 2013
If you want to watch something fresh, then check this out.
October 29, 2013
This movie enraged me in ways I do not appreciate. I realize there are real life parallels but it does not make up for the hatred it instilled. Poisson is simple and this is oversimplified garbage.This is unnecessarily depressing.
October 14, 2013
It portrays childhood imagination very cleverly and very entertainingly, boosting this rather simple idea into a pretty good movie.
September 19, 2013
Cool premise, but shitty actors.
September 12, 2013
This movie had a pretty neat premise, but could have benefited more as a 5-10 minute short on youtube. Nothing is really awful about it, but around 20 minutes in it just becomes more and more of the same. I wouldn't try to strongly dissuade anybody from watching it, but I won't be recommending it either.
September 7, 2013
Technically well executed with some good performances but a bit too straightforward and simplistic plot-wise for me.
Nukleopatra
September 4, 2013
It's a nice look at a set of really shitty actors that will be coming into our lives in the near future. The plot, which doesn't exist, is secondary. It's 'The Goonies' of 2013, minus the fun and actual adventure.