I Was a Male War Bride (1949)
Average Rating: 6.7/10
Reviews Counted: 14
Fresh: 11 | Rotten: 3
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 6,572
Howard Hawks directed this classic farce about how love attempts to triumph over military red tape after the close of World War II. Capt. Henri Rochard (Cary Grant) is a French officer who is assigned to put a stop to a black market operation in occupied Germany with the help of Lt. Catherine Gates (Ann Sheridan), an American WAC. While their initial meetings are hardly harmonious, in time Rochard and Gates find that opposites really do attract, and they fall in love. The two decide to get
Jan 1, 1949 Wide
Jan 6, 2004
Watch It Now
Capt. Henri Rochard
Lt. Catherine Gates
Capt. Jack Rumsey
William Yetter Jr.
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The flimsiness of the film's foundations and the disorder of its episodes provoke the inevitable impression that it all fell together en route.
Howard Hawks's darkest comedy (1949) -- a loosely constructed, episodic film that traces the progressive humiliations suffered by Free French army captain Cary Grant.
Funny, revealing (about WWII humor) farce w/Cary Grant.
Saddled with an egregiously thin premise and woefully underdeveloped characters...
Howard Hawks and Cary Grant made several famous films together but it's a shame this one is often overlooked since it's a true comic gem that works well on every level.
Very funny star vehicle with Grant and Sheridan at their best.
"Cary carries off a one-joke premise"
Audience Reviews for I Was a Male War Bride
- Capt. Henri Rochard: My name is Rochard. You'll think I'm a bride but actually I'm a husband. There'll be a moment or two of confusion but, if we all keep our heads, everything will be fine.
- Sergeant: Any female trouble?
- Capt. Henri Rochard: Nothing but, Sergeant.
- Sergeant: You're not Mrs. Rochard!
- Capt. Henri Rochard: I'm MISTER Rochard.
- Sergeant: Well, it's your WIFE who must report here for transportation to Bremerhaven.
- Capt. Henri Rochard: According to the War Department, I AM my wife.
- Sergeant: You can't be your wife!
- Capt. Henri Rochard: If the American army says that I CAN be my wife, who am I to dispute them?
- Capt. Henri Rochard: I am an alien spouse of female military personnel en route to the United States under public law 271 of the Congress.
Discuss I Was a Male War Bride on our Movie forum!