Ice Spiders - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ice Spiders Reviews

skactopus
½ February 19, 2010
Tibor Takacs delivers another low budget science fiction movie by the name of Ice Spiders, which is just as impressive as the lame title.Giant spiders are at a ski resort. Hence the "ice" and "spiders" in Ice Spiders. Simple. Just like the plot. A secret government project has gone wrong, and the spiders are loose as well as hungry. Stupid. The first 5 minutes tells the tale of what is to come and the rest of the 85 minutes doesn't go by quick enough. Seriously, what a waste of a few dollars.The violence is bloody and graphic, which is THE ONLY highlight of this picture. The spiders do make a ton of appearances, but this isn't necessarily a good thing. Why? The visual effects stink. The more time the spiders are on screen means more time to view cheap CG.When the poor looking spiders aren't stinking it up, the low level acting is. The cast just does not have it in them to put on any decent performances and the crappy dialogue doesn't help either. Watching all the characters is just plain irritating.All that is left to say is to skip this piece of garbage and move on to something else.
½ July 12, 2009
Ice Spiders is exactly what you should have come to expect from the Sci-Fi channel. It's stupid, fun and simple as can be. It was a nice setting choice, shaking off the suburban or jungle environments. The CGI wasn't great but there were many interesting shots. The early reveal of a spider from a distance, as two men hunted deer, was an inspired choice. Muldoon was a terrible leading man, he was so casual about everything you wonder what it would take to stir his shit. Some annoying teens are introduced early on, but thankfully they fade into the background. If you like spider kill death movies, check it out.
January 4, 2008
PROTIP: The spiders aren't actually made out of ice. They're just spiders in an icy region, which seems like such a waste of potential to me.

As a legitimate movie, this is seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel even for the Sci-Fi channel, but as a hapless target for mockery it does a pretty great job. Vanessa Williams, playing a "smart...and HOT" scientist, has the most bizarre reactions to everything she sees. Half of her scenes end in comedy after she makes some sort of inhuman noise or face. Patrick Muldoon, who thought he was in on the joke, is so blatant in his winking to the audience that it really just becomes annoying. The spiders themselves give the best performances of all, poorly animated to the point of hilarity.

This one is a for-sure stinker, but if your friends are the kind who love to belittle the hopes and dreams of a fledgling filmmaker, these would be 86 minutes well spent.
½ June 9, 2011
Cheesy. Poor acting. Bad script and effects. But the fact that there are man-sized spiders trying to kill people, just makes the rest of the film amazing.
½ July 28, 2009
Do I have an intense fear of spiders? Yes. Did I laugh my ass off the entire way through this film? You bet I did.
January 9, 2011
This was mildly entertaining, I suppose, if you don't mind low-budget, lame horror movies. But really, it was nothing new. Giant mutated insect, animal, unidentified creature makes a buffet of everyone in sight. Ya know. Same old, same old.
½ June 6, 2010
OMG...This was the stupidest movie ever created. Do spiders really make those noises...Hmmmm, no? Lame duck syndrome...Someone should tell the director the writers and the cast that crack kills. You can't even call this a "B" movie..."
½ April 14, 2010
This movie is great. I first saw this on the syfy network and in all honesty I hate spiders with a passion. But this movie grabbed my attention and kept my eyes glued to the screen. It had an interesting plot whereas the spiders had mutated and adapted to the rather cold climate around them. The CG spiders are decent, there not that great but there not that bad, but when movies are on syfy, you expect it. But the plot and storyline and flow keep this flick alive. I was impressed. This movie also has a great choice of its cast in where you really get a little bit of a feel for them, but the acting performance is sub par so dont expect to much. If your a sci fi fan, then this is the film for you. But if your not just steer clear of it. It takes a little bit of analyzing to really appreciate this film. But it does make you wonder how if spiders were somehow able to adapt to this colder climate, then well your just going to have to view this movie for yourself.
I give it a 90% for its decency with acting and CG animation. The plot is great to so really give this movie a try.
April 3, 2010
You can tell Ice Spiders is a Sci Fi film. It gave me chills because I HATE spiders. It's pretty interesting, too.
June 28, 2009
Cliched made for tv Sci-Fi original movie. Not much in the way of plot or casting decisions, but since I'm a sucker for mutated animals killing people, this film makes me smile with it's cheese factor. Good for those boring Sunday afternoons.
½ February 12, 2009
This is a really BAD movie! Think "Eight-Legged Freaks" with bad acting!
I like "Eight-Legged Freaks" and all, even tho it is kindof goofy, it is still funny. This was just horrible acting and the spiders look computer generated. I know they are but they shouldn't look it!
January 15, 2008
This was not my choice but watched it anyway. I cant say I will watch it again. Wasnt scary and lacked a real point to the movie
January 6, 2008
This piece of schlock debuted on the Sci Fi Channel which has a reputation for putting out real shitty nature run amok films, but honestly, this film was VH1 quality. Hopefully, we will see it on that channel someday. I know it will only improve the channel. Anyways, genetically tinkered (that is the word they are using now in the films) spiders run around tearing people's shit up like it was nothing. Also, there is an excessive amount of the word "Dude" used which really should only be used 3 times or less in a film. Anyways, this was amusing and a good time killer. What can I say? I am a sucker for these kinds of films.
December 4, 2007
*sigh* More SciFi channel "giant monster du jour" ineptitude. This one comes from veteran direct-to-video creature feature director Tibor Takacs and he hasn't improved over the his last film, Kraken. At least that film had a few minor successes. Ice Spiders has no real redeeming qualities.

The FX are as horrible as we have come to expect from SciFi and the decision to show the spiders in their entirety within the first four minutes of the film kills off any chance of suspense. Plot holes abound, boring kills, horrible acting, a weak/ cliched ending and no real originality to speak of hamper this film.

Pros? Inadvertant hilarity. Watching a skiier wipe out on purpose and then having a leaping attack spider digitally pasted onto his body is sheer mindless, stupid fun. A couple of decent plot developments: The cause for the spiders existence sounds very plausible and the fact that each of the six spiders is derived from a different species creates a bit of nice variety. And the main premise: Giant spiders attack a ski lodge; it's at least unusual and different if nothing else.

But uh, that's it! Nothing more to redeem this run-of-the-mill made for TV creature Feature that continues the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 fodder trend for the SciFi originals.
½ January 23, 2016
creepy but All right
July 22, 2015
Another useless and medicore SyFy film. They need to have their film making rights revoked and banned. This one is very similar to Vipers. Not much to say. Boring and mediocre and way too much stupid CGI.
August 14, 2014
Hilarious stuff. Poor, but hilarious!
August 12, 2014
Really quite good for the channel it was on normally the channel plays really really bad movies but this one was just really bad but at the same time it was good and funny with pretty decent special effects.
½ December 30, 2013
this is the worst film ever from minute one the dialogue makes you cringe