I'm Going Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I'm Going Home Reviews

½ June 11, 2012
Heart-wrenchingly slow... I did not find it enjoyable to watch.
November 5, 2011
This movie might be slow (for some people), but the fact is this movie brings the whole lot more meaning of life after somebody we loved the most gone.

This is story about Gilbert Valence.

Portrayed by le plus magnifique et là (C)gendaire Michel Piccoli, is an aging but highly respected actor who has just lost his wife, daughter and her husband in a road accident. What's left for him is just his only grandson, who is the only reason he get through his days as he tries to live without his loved ones.
May 29, 2011
I'm Going Home spends the far majority of its run time tracking its central character--an aging theater actor--out and about or at work on the stage. Gifted and energetic, the man lives by routine--watching his grandson leave for school, enjoying a cup of coffee in his favorite cafe, or delivering memorized lines night after night for his current production. However, when the routine is threatened, Oliveira delivers a poignant finale about the limitations (self-imposed and otherwise) of aging.
½ January 17, 2011
Nothing to say about it, really. It's Oliveira.
½ June 5, 2010
A very, very wonderful film that's extremely touching and engaging. Manoel de Oliveria (who is now 102 years of age and just released his latest film at Cannes) breaks so many storytelling rules it's not even funny and that's what made this movie so damn good.

This tells the story of older actor Gilbert Valence, a thespian who has devoted his life to theater and Shakespeare. After one of his latest performances, he is informed by his agent that his wife, daughter, and son-in-law have been killed in a car accident. Instead of following the character to hear what has happened and to see his reaction, we stay on his fellow actors who discuss to happenings. Then, the character rushes back into the room and exits.

Cut to some time later where he's living his life with his grandson Serge who he barely sees and his nanny/housekeeper. Gilbert has started a new play. This is where I feel Gilbert's emotions about what happened truly show through. He puts it all into the characters he plays.

In this film, it's as if the inciting event doesn't incite shit. Awful things happen and life goes on. However, towards the end, Gilbert starts to crack.

It's very beautiful, moving, and poignant. Michel Piccoli puts in a hell of a performance that's muted and perfect for the part.

Search this out, friends. You won't regret it.
½ January 17, 2010
Manoel de Oliveira is the oldest living active filmmaker (over 107 years old and STILL WORKING!). It's high time I see one of his films. This is one of his more recent ones. It's a sweet comedy-drama about a stage actor who loses his wife, daughter and son-in-law in a tragic car accident and has to care for his 9 year old grandson. Sweet, quiet and poignant with a great performance by Michel Piccoli. The film does tend to drag a bit though.
½ July 14, 2009
Pretentious twaddle. Piccoli great.
February 5, 2009
J' ai manqué le bateau sur celui-ci.
½ November 17, 2008
An unforgettable performance by Michel Piccoli in this touching de Oliveira film about getting old. I found it deeply emotional, but somehow clear, rational, "distant" and with a touch of humour - it reminded me of some Chabrol's movies. As in most of the director's work, it is filled with quotes from great literature, from Shakespeare to Joyce in this case, and through the interpretation of this work de Oliveira is able to speak at every single person in the world.
August 2, 2008
I liked the beginning a lot. I liked the very end, too.
April 18, 2008
Kind of sad and quaint.
½ February 26, 2008
hmmm...interesting, not at all like what you might see come out of Hollywood.
January 18, 2008
agree with alexandro...

The Best One of de Oliveira...

Elegiac!
September 6, 2007
The best movie ever directed by Manoel de Oliveira. It is filled with humanity and honesty. Additionally, the main charactor sentimental problematics are my actual problematics.
July 5, 2007
i just wanna to get up and leave too, sometimes.
July 5, 2007
really not interested
½ June 18, 2007
An elegant inventive look at an artist growing old. Made by a filmmaker turning 92. Truly admirable.
½ March 12, 2007
An intimate film about the ageing process and the loss of one's place in the world. Oliveira is still making films at the age of 97! A triumph.
December 6, 2006
I wonder what this is about, i think ill see it!