• R, 1 hr. 30 min.

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

I'm So Excited! Reviews

Carlos M

October 24, 2013
Almodóvar's pit stop back to his light comedies, but though mildly amusing it lacks in structure and ends up looking exactly like the airplane where the story takes place, drifting aimlessly around and around without knowing where to go.
Anthony L

May 13, 2013
If Volver was a little too art-house, Broken embraces a little too emotional and The Skin I live in just that little too odd for you and you crave the old days of Dark Habits, Matador and Tie me up! Tie me down!, Well then good news Pedro Almodóvar fans, he's back to his raunchy, over the top unashamedly camp self! Not that he has ever stopped being any of those things, but here in I'm so excited it really does feel like he's gone back in time and made a film like the ones he made that made us fall in love with him the first time round. I'm so excited mixes every genres under the sun and almost feels like a tribute to the elaborate, ridiculous but always fabulous Soup Operas that I guess Spain has managed to continue, where other countries seem to have forgotten. It's everything you could want from a lighthearted and outrageous Almodóvar film. An absolute pleasure for an old fan like me.
PantaOz
PantaOz

August 14, 2013
After the Gravity of Broken Embraces (2009) and The Skin I Live In (2011), Pedro Almodóvar has decided to return to comedy, a genre with which he broke in the 1980s. His latest comedy started with Antonio Banderas (León) and Penélope Cruz (Jessi) and when I got excited seeing them, that was it from them! The actual stars of the movie were Javier Cámara, Cecilia Roth, Lola Dueñas and Raúl Arévalo. The original Spanish title is Los amantes pasajeros, which has a double meaning of "The fleeting lovers" and "The passenger lovers". The narrative, except the short part with Banderas and Cruz, is set almost entirely on the Airbus plane heading to Mexico, actually to Toledo, after discovering that they are having difficulties.

Almodóvar describes it as "a light, very light comedy" - and that was it, under the master's directing - nothing more, nothing less. If you expect anything else, you will be disappointed! A story about love, sexuality, acceptance, joy, humanity in general, is told through bisexual pilots Benito and Alex, gay stewards Ulloa, Fajardo, and Joserra, and a plane full of bizarre characters. They are all in for the ride that could determine the rest of their lives and they all react the way they feel, they learned or frivolous, but very rarely the way we would expect!

The film was produced by the director's brother, Agustín Almodóvar, and he confirmed that Los amantes pasajeros had been sold in advance worldwide and that these pre-sales have completely funded the film, without any need for any financial contribution from the Spanish market. Which, gave the director a freedom to do most of the things the way he wanted, without worrying about the final cut. But, the result wasn't great as expected. Sometimes, though, we need movies like this... to relax us, to make fun of each other and make fun of others, society in general. If you admire the director, add it to your list, if you don't - skip it.
Alec B

January 10, 2014
It's got a few too many pointless digressions that keep the film from being as enjoyable as I hoped, but Almodovar's intentions were clearly to make nothing more than a goofy comedy and I suppose on that level it works. The sequence that no doubt inspired the title is ridiculous in all the right ways.
Marcus W

October 30, 2013
Almodovar back in full on camp mode.
July 1, 2014
Definitely one of Almodovar's weaker films, but I found it to be funny enough to somewhat enjoy one viewing. It's a really strange movie, very over the top like many of his movies. Still more enjoyable than some of his other movies, he's very hit and miss.
June 3, 2013
Eh, I don't blame Pedro Almodóvar for wanting to dip his toe in the fountain of youth and make a movie that harkens back to the screwball farce of his earlier film work, especially after going the chiller distance and exploring his darkest material to date with 2011's "The Skin I Live In". I just hope "I'm So Excited!" isn't a permanent regression. Maybe it's because I'm such a fan of the dude, but where most critics saw Almodóvar on autopilot (see what I did there?) I like to believe "I'm So Excited!" has some sort of point it's trying to make, even if it is among a flagrant mess of hot wind and camp.

That's Almodóvar for you, baby: shameless. I don't need a kiss on the mouth and a call in the morning. I just wish "I'm So Excited!" made like "Wolf of Wall Street" up in the air and went buck fucking wild. Spoiler alert: it doesn't. But it's colorful, masterfully directed and gleefully phantasmagorical, like a 1980s airline passenger safety video percolated through mescaline-tinted beer goggles. (66/100)
August 15, 2013
On paper, any and all films by the great Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodovar sound absolutely ridiculous. And for the most part they are, but that's always part of the fun. Almodovar has been dishing out striking, moving films for more than two decades now, each bursting with a palpable love of all things cinema. His latest, I'm So Excited, is a triumphant return to his comedic roots, his early, funny films if you will. Set mostly aboard a commercial airliner flying from Barcelona to Mexico City. It's interior is awash in airy, retro colors, but the set isn't the only thing spectacularly outrageous about I'm So Excited, there's also Almodovar's hilarious vision of sexual perversity and emotional insanity. Three gay flight attendants do all they can to keep everyone and everything calm, including a high-camp dance number.

As the plane goes over Toledo due to a runway issue in Mexico, the folks in economy class are drugged while the business class passengers and flight crew are left to endure the craziness and hilarity. They include a world-weary dominatrix, a 40-something year old virgin wanting to bang one of the sleeping passengers, a bisexual pilot and his straight co-pilot, but who is likely actually gay. All of the actors are as charming as you'd expect and keep the laughs coming. It's a bit fluffy, almost to the point of evaporation, but anyone familiar with Almodovar's ouvre (from Women on The Verge... to Volver, to The Skin I Live In) knows he's a filmmaker worth following anywhere. Get excited!
July 24, 2013
Saying that Almodovar has let his inner gay loose in the wild is an understatement for any of his films but this will definately be his most upbeat of them all.
September 22, 2014
The Sexiest Airplane Movie I have ever seen, I've got to watch it again!
Handsome Cast. En Espanol.
September 2, 2014
Although absurd and inventive, "I'm So Excited" does give you a good laugh in the cinema and also bring new features to the characters of the new film by Almodovar, which returns to its origins with shuffled and entertaining comedies. For the purpose of the director, which is to bring entertainment to your audience, the movie is in this way.
Lucas A.
May 2, 2014
August 18, 2014
Total nonsense! What was Almodovar thinking?
Jakub M.
August 15, 2014
A misunderstanding. The metaphor is quite clear and Almodovar's intentions were probably good, but Los Pasajeros Amantes just doesn't make any sense.
June 30, 2013
Strangely polarizing. You either really like it or you really hate it.
May 17, 2014
I am actually very excited -- in a film geek kind of way -- whenever there is a new Almodovar film as I believe he is a consistently strong film maker who makes films that most American directors would refuse to touch. His later work tends to be heavily dramatic with very strong, well-written female characters - Volver, All About My Mother, Broken Embraces (all starring his muse Penelope Cruz) while his early work was zany, screwball yet mentally stimulating comedy like Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. This one cameos Cruz and it is a return to his "screw" ball antics as it is a sex comedy about the crew and passengers on a doomed flight to Mexico. The acting here is fine and funny but there is simply too much sex here that removes the charm from the flick. An incredibly fun and hilarious musical number to "I'm so Excited!" is the highlight of the film but this is perhaps the weakest Almodovar film I have ever watched ... because I didn't really care much for a single character as none are well developed although several are perfectly likeable. Antonio Banderas -- who got his start in Pedro's films -- also has a very brief cameo.
April 20, 2014
Cute comedy. I especially like the three steward singing the title song. The reminds me of the first Almodovar movie i saw, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.
March 18, 2014
Had its moments, but not many. The stereotypes, especially the gay flight attendants, wore thin pretty fast, and the camp wasn't as sharp and campy as I'd hoped. The dialogue relied heavily on stale jokes involving intoxication and sex. This was one flight that just didn't get off the ground. However, I must say that the Pointer Sisters' old hit sounded great, even accompanied by swishy, limp-wristed choreography of the flight attendants, which was fun, yet predictable as a bunch of drag queens in any gay bar on a Saturday night. I have enjoyed many of Almodovar's movies, but couldn't work up much excitement over this one.