97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

April 9, 2007
verrrry good
Graham J

November 14, 2011
Bogart is frightening in Nicholas Ray's masterpiece.
axadntpron
axadntpron

September 15, 2011
An indictment of Hollywood, a subversion of the romanticism associated with Hollywood, and the story of the plight of an aging writer who desires to remain true to himself and control his demons. Nicholas Ray's film is truly unlike most noirs I have ever seen. It features one of Bogart's best performances, and one of the best endings I could have imagined for a film such as this.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

August 2, 2011
"The man i love has gotten into many bar fights, OH NOES! HE'S A SERIAL KILLER AND HE'S GOING TO KILL ME, OH MY GAAAAAAAAAWD"
rubystevens
rubystevens

November 2, 2007
a very dark view of hollywood and the finest work of ray, bogart & gloria grahame. remarkable chemistry and self reflexive honesty rarely seen in tinseltown make it worthwhile viewing long after the central mystery is resolved. i don't want to spoil it for anyone but quite another ending was scripted, filmed and then scrapped by the director, who had the actors improvise the perfect-seeming ending we see today. serendipity
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

April 9, 2011
A screenwriter, suspected of murder, falls for his neighbor, a witness who clears him of the crime.
Now, with Bogie firmly entrenched as a screen legend, it is difficult to fully realize what a risky role this was for him at the time. The character Dixon Steele is remarkably dark with anger problems of which the film never exonerates him, and Bogie plays the part with courage and honesty. He's not just a venerable Hollywood personality; he's a really good actor.
The film itself is also quite risky. The "lonely place" referenced in the title not only refers to the place where the hatcheck girl is killed but also to the creative space in which a writer works. And in Hollywood the writer's ability to control how his work is presented in quite limited, and it is in this place that the emasculation of Steele begins. Hollywood is not presented as a glamorous, glitzy place; rather, art suffers under the pressures of money-men and ego.
However, I did think that the murder plot could have been better handled. By the end of the film we don't care who killed the girl, and if these plots could have been more seamlessly intertwined, then In a Lonely Place would be a true masterpiece.
Pierluigi P

July 27, 2007
Lessons of love in the hard way between an irascible and violent screenwriter, and his anguished soon to be wife.
One of the most romantic and devastating noirs. It keeps memorable dialogue every two or three sentences.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
A really good crime drama about suspicion and doubt and wild romance. I really liked this movie.
Nicki M

January 17, 2008
Near perfect - I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. Even though it appears to be a murder story at the beginning, it definitely ends up being more about the two main characters to the point you don't even care at the end when you don't find out who the murderer was.
I found Gloria Grahame totally compelling in this. Humphrey Bogart is also good, though pretty unlikeable, which I assume is intentional. One of the best old movies I have ever watched.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 12, 2009
Finally, a Gloria Grahame film in which she's NOT a promiscuous 'ho' (i.e. The Bad and the Beautiful, It's a Wonderful Life, Oklahoma!, etc., etc., etc...).
Tim S

March 31, 2009
Humphrey Bogart became an icon for his performances in films like Maltese Falcon and Casablanca, but I have only seen him in a couple of films. The first was The Treasure of Sierra Madre and now this. With both films, you get completely unique, but just as mesmerizing performances. In this film, he keeps you guessing until the end whether or not he is the killer in question. It's a tricky role but Bogart plays it beautifully. The other thing I loved about this movie was the writing. It seemed like every line was perfectly crafted and it suits the film considering it's about a writer. The ending is great and really quite sad after thinking about it for awhile. I know he will always be known for that infamous line, but I am glad I met Bogey in films like these. It makes me appreciate him more.
garyX
garyX

November 30, 2007
A Hollywood screenwriter embarks on a relationship with actress Gloria Grahame with the shadow of a murder rap hanging over his head. Bogart is in full intense and paranoid mode for this one, rather than the usual in control tough guy we've become accustomed to, and Gloria Grahame's part was actually written specifically for Lauren Bacall and I couldn't help thinking how much better she would have been. I personally was hoping for another Bogie film noir, and as the murder case seemed to recede into the distance (it is even solved off screen) so did my interest. I wanted tough crime drama and got romantic melodrama. Not only that, but in a story that was done so much better by Hitchcock in both Suspicion and Rebecca. Well written and acted, but I'll stick with Hitch.
Ken S

May 5, 2007
Another Masterpiece from Nicholas Ray
jjnxn
jjnxn

June 16, 2007
good but with an extremely dark outlook
Michael G

October 23, 2006
Just see it.
John B

February 15, 2013
I love it when Bogart really works a character and he does so in abundance for Nicholas Ray. It is a film noir but one that avoids delving into cliche.
George M

October 24, 2010
Superb!!! Noir melodrama of the highest rank!
Alec B

October 19, 2012
Bogart's performance is effortless (almost terrifyingly so) and I don't think I can name many other films that have such a perfectly realized central character that follows a organic and logical path from the beginning to the end with no sense of manipulation . . . that ending is so perfect I cried.
Mike T

July 27, 2009
What could have been a formula-based film noir is instead a somber, unnerving character study featuring what is possibly Bogart's career-finest performance. This film identifies a side of Bogart that challenges him and surprises viewers, and the decision to cast him was a wise one. It's a tightly structured movie that provides ample amounts of emphasis on the mystery and romance at its foundation, while also infusing frank sexuality and violence. This is a movie with an edge, and the conclusion seals its greatness.
Juli R

October 13, 2011
This is a love story disguised as noir. It's about two people who love each other in spite of everything. Humphrey Bogart is at his best playing a conflicted character, a washed-up screenwriter who is an alcoholic. There are echoes of Casablanca in this character. Gloria Grahame (It's a Wonderful Life) has been around the block and should know better than to get involved with a wounded man. But after meeting, their feelings ignite. They are giddy with happiness, but they remain separate. They are just unable to find a way to be together.