In & Out Reviews

January 28, 2014
A joyful and hilarious coming out of the closet party with a cant-miss list of stars. A wonderfully enjoyable movie with a magnificent performance by Kevin Kline.
blkbomb
½ June 8, 2013
Emily: Is everybody gay? Is this a Twilight Zone?

"An out-and-out comedy"

In & Out is one of those movies I'm in-between on. It's not a film I necessarily liked, but I also would have trouble saying it was a bad movie. As far as the film goes, it's pretty well made and features a good performance from Kevin Kline and a pretty solid supporting cast. It all seemed so dull though, and the film had very, very few truly funny moments.

Howard Brackett is an English teacher who has been engaged for three years and plans on marrying her soon. When one of his former students wins the academy award for best actor, he makes an acceptance speech in which he thanks his gay teacher Mr. Brackett. This leads Howard to question his own sexuality, while the small, rural town goes crazy amidst the rumor and gossip. Will the wedding happen? Is Walter gay? And does anybody really care if he is?

In & Out isn't a bad movie, it just wasn't my brand of comedy. It's worth a look if you think the story sounds interesting, and at the very least you'll see another good performance by Kevin Kline, plus one of Joan Cusack's funnier roles. In the end though, I could take this movie or leave it. It was easy to sit through, but it isn't anything I care to see again or anything I'll probably remember.
thmtsang
½ September 1, 2007
Comedy about a teacher who is outted by his ex-pupil at the Oscars! Good cast. Funny scene where the girlfriend can't use the old fashioned phone. Kevin and Matt are good at comedies. Should make more!
LWOODS04
July 30, 2009
Cast: Kevin Kline, Joan Cusack, Tom Selleck, Matt Dillon, Debbie Reynolds, Wilford Brimley, Bob Newhart, Deborah Rush, Lewis J. Stadlen, Gregory Jbara, Shalom Harlow, Shawn Hatosy, Zak Orth, Lauren Ambrose, Alexandra Holden, Selma Blair, Glenn Close, Whoopi Goldberg, Jay Leno

Director: Frank Oz

Summary: When dim-bulb actor Cameron Drake (Matt Dillon) wins an Oscar for playing a gay Marine, he outs his high school drama teacher, Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline), in his acceptance speech. It all comes as a surprise to Howard -- not to mention to his long-suffering fiancée, Emily (Joan Cusack). With his wedding just days away and national media descending on his town, Howard's under the gun to prove just how much of a man he is.

My Thoughts: "Although the film is funny and even silly at times, it really shows how very small minded some are about Gay people. That being said, the film was fun. Kevin Kline was great as Howard. I personally enjoyed the scene where Howard is listening to a Masculine tape. Stereotypical, yes, but funny none the less."
July 31, 2010
Stereotypical and sometimes plain absurd, IN & OUT does manage to cause a few laughs, mostly due to Kevin Kline and Joan Cusack's performances. Debbie Reynolds and Matt Dillon have their moments as well.

For its climactic scene, the film demands a suspension of disbelief and, if you do just that, you will certainly enjoy an inspiring (but utterly implausible) sequence.
July 23, 2010
Kevin Kline is one of my favorite actors, so I may sound biased when I say his performance was spot on, and it was. It was great, hilarious, and unexpected. Still, the plot had something to be desired, and mostly it was downright depressing at certain times. Still, good film.
½ October 8, 2009
Sat through the whole thing but never really got into it. I didn't think it was fun or funny, except for funny queer. The ending is nothing but gay acceptance crap.
October 1, 2009
If people want to watch these kinds of films in the privacy of their own homes then fine, I just don't want this kind of rubbish on my TV and shoved in my face! ;o) Directed by Miss Piggy.
½ July 1, 2009
Howard Brackett (Kevin Kline) is a teacher who is about to get married. Then, one of his former students wins an Oscar for a film in which he plays a gay soldier and thanks Howard in his acceptance speech, outing him as being gay too! This film follows the aftermath as reporters descend on Howard's village and he tries to convince everyone that he is straight.

I love this movie! Kevin Kline is wonderful, it has some really hilarious moments and it always leaves me feeling great with an enormous grin on my face. Consequently, it's one film that I enjoy watching as often as possible. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out!
bbcfloridabound
June 2, 2009
This movie comes from a list of movie that were shown at the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival. It starts off a little slow, but found myself caught up before it was all over. We are in small town America, and Kevin Kline plays Mr. Brackett who is a English teacher at a local high school, Matt Dillion plays a movie start getting a award for his role in a movie about a gay solider, in his acceptance speech he thanks Mr. Brackett and also notes that he (Mr. Brackett) is gay. Trouble is Mr. Brackett is getting Married in 3 days and trouble is Mr. Brackett realizes he is gay. which makes for a very comical movie. Having lived in small town America (TAYLOR CO. Georgia) what happens and the reaction of the local band of residents is a true to fact happening. If I wanted to know anything about myself I would just ask the town's post mistress. The film is loaded with stars the ever beautiful Debbie Reynolds (Mind and Sprit). Bob Newhart, Tom Selleck, Wilford Brimley, Matt Dillon, and Lauren Ambrose (who can knock on my door anytime. Have to give it four stars. Don't hate, just enjoy.
January 31, 2009
A touching and funny film, dealing with ostracising nature of small-town America against gays and anyone else thought of as ?different? and not in the community's interests. Kline is hilarious and demonstrated to be a brilliant dancer/mover ? the scene with the self-help tape is a classic cinematic moment.
½ January 8, 2009
Comedy about a teacher (Kevin Kline) who is "outed" by a former student. The problem is, he doesn't even know himself that he might be gay.

One of the funniest scenes in the movie is when he is listening to a cassette tape which will help him become more masculine. The tape tells him that men don't dance and of course Kevin can't stop from dancing that beat.
½ April 25, 2008
Not a bad movie but not one I was into all that much.
½ March 7, 2007
I tried to watch this movie but I just couldn't get into it.
November 23, 2006
I remember liking it, but I haven't seen it in a while.
February 3, 2010
Stupid little film. Is he gay or not?? Is he?? Is he??? oooooh I can't wait to find out. Who cares.
July 21, 2010
Its definately satire lite, but there are a few very funny moments and Kevin Kline is perfect. Plus Bob Newhart always manages to put me into hysterics no matter how big or small his part is.
March 4, 2007
Kline is better than safe romp about his sexuality. Props to Selleck.
½ October 10, 2010
If you like stereotypes then this is for you.
neffielee
March 31, 2009
Kevin Kline had me rolling with laughter. Great movie to see when you feel like laughing yourself silly.