In Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In Country Reviews

August 8, 2015
Not particularly good. Not the worst film, and to be honest, the last few minutes of this when they visit the Vietnam memorial are great. However, the rest of the movie feels really disjointed and confused. If the director was trying to do this deliberately to try and capture the characters' emotions, I would understand and appreciate it. But it's not done deliberately, it's just clumsy as hell. That being said, this is far from the worst war movie out there, it's just nothing special.
½ May 23, 2011
Watched this movie recently. great movie for Memorial Day. Bruce Willis is outstanding. I cried like a baby at the end. For all those Viet Nam Vets. Thank you for your sacrifice. This was my generations war. It was awful for the soldiers and for the people back home who didn't support the war. Watch this on Memorial Day Instead of Saving Private Ryan
March 6, 2008
Bruce Willis got the horros of the after shock of this war down to a tee.I should know i have uncels who have been there and back.
October 16, 2006
5.5/10. The film has a good message, but it sure takes a long time to get that message across. Boring at times Emily Lloyd's fake country accent gets downright irritating at times. Bruce Willis on the other hand gives a fine performance. The moving ending can not make up for the painfully slow pace of the film.
August 8, 2015
May 17, 2015
A great tribute to veterans everywhere.
March 29, 2013
my mama was in this movie she was the drug store clerk that called back for a. price check.
½ May 23, 2011
½ June 2, 2010
Certainly a movie that's flown under the radar. I'd never even heard of this when I saw it in a store & decided to give it a try since I (at least sometimes) like Bruce Willis and flicks dealing with war, etc. I thought it was average, which is why I'm giving it 5/10. Per usual, I liked the southern feel of the moving, taking place in Kentucky. There's something to be said for a southern, simple way of living. I thought the girl in this (Emily Lloyd) was spunky and great to watch - it's a shame she's not in more. Bruce Willis did a nice job of portraying life after war and the effects it has on a person. I just thought that, overall, this movie drug on a bit & was slightly uneventful. I wanted more emotion from it... the most emotional scene of the movie was when they visited D.C. at the very end. I think this movie had great potential but didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for.
January 27, 2010
I need to see this again. It's been to long!
½ February 23, 2009
Definitely one of Bruce's best dramatic and most underrated performances to date.
½ September 23, 2008
Good movie. Better book.
½ June 13, 2008
A horrible movie that wastes Bruce Willis.
½ June 2, 2008
A poor effort and terrible acting really ruined what cold have been a decent movie. I have always had a special place in my heart for Vietnam vets even though I have only met 2 in my life, but I have studied and read a lot on the subject, so I am not saying this movie sucked because I am a hippie wannabe. My real problem was that the direction of the movie and acting really sucked. The plot was never realy clear in what it was trying to present and the accents by the actors were way over the top. Willis seemed uninterrested acting in this movie. There are some moments that get to you but any time I see the memorial wall I tear up so take those moments for what they are worth.
March 17, 2008
What's with all these bad reviews? I think it's a very touching story of a man's struggle to come to grips with the horrors of war and life afterward as a marginalized discard.
March 6, 2008
February 26, 2008
This is probably THE best vietnam film I have ever seen.
½ February 24, 2008
Incredibly weak and boring plot. Bruce wasnt a real actor one time in his career anyways, although he is still one of the better ones here in this cast.
October 15, 2007
filmed in my hometown.... look for me coming out the courthouse door as Samanta runs out and down the steps and also my little blue Ford wagon driving through the intersection as she runs past once more...

fun fun being an extra...!!
½ October 8, 2007
My only interest in this was seeing Bruno do something different. I wasn't expecting much but it's actually a well made, heartfelt observation of our need for closure and the things we do to achieve it.
Bruce plays a good redneck and it's great to see that he can act just as well as he can shoot baddies and be a smart arse. There's a bunch of interesting people to watch out for; a couple of the Deadwood guys and Dr Kelso from Scrubs! Joan Allen is always great, and how come I've never seen Emily Lloyd in anything else?
It kind of strolls along, engaging without being overly involving but it builds to a conclusion which is surprisingly moving.