In Old California Reviews

June 8, 2014
Give me a beer. Make it long and make it wet.

A Boston pharmacist moves to Sacramento during the height of the gold rush. He sells an elixir of sorts to cure what ills you. A politician wants the pharmacist out of Sacramento and blames him for an epidemic that breaks out in the miners. The pharmacist works quickly to cure the workers and clear his name.

"I want cut glass, chandeliers, and gold knobs."

William McGann, director of Highway West, We Go Fast, Wolf of New York, Frontier Badman, A Shot in the Dark, and Alcatraz Island, delivers In Old California. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unfold and a very different character for John Wayne. The settings are okay and the drama wasn't as intense as it could have been. The acting was pretty good and the cast includes Wayne, Patsy Kelly, Albert Decker, and Paul Sutton.

"Are you in the mood for a very important question?"

I had bookmarked this movie off Netflix because it starred John Wayne and I had never seen it. This was interesting and fun to watch unfold. It wasn't my favorite Wayne movie, but I will say seeing him as something besides a stuffy, wise cracking cowboy was fascinating. Overall, this is worth a viewing but not one of my favorite pictures from this era.

"I don't see the point of no joke!"

Grade: C+
June 2, 2013
JOhn Wayne classic comedy and action all rolled up in one great movie