• Unrated, 1 hr. 43 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

In Our Nature Reviews

Christopher H

November 28, 2012
For an independent drama with only four characters set in the woods, the film flows nicely, allowing enough character development and spot on performances to allow for thorough engagement. Slattery defines a separated father, both tiptoeing around his son whom he hardly sees and taking out his aggravations, misplaced or not. His connection to the material is undeniable, bringing to life certain lines like "why can't you be happy for me" and a scene involving marijuana and Jena Malone. The only actor who lets his performance slide is Gilford, whose blank stares and quiet deliveries make for an uneven and almost stale exhibition. However, the ladies cover this up as best they can, with a more involved approach, stealing the show several times. Calm and quaint like the characters' surroundings, "In Our Nature" is a strong emotional drama exploring the differences and similarities between blossoming relationships in the era of divorce that we live in. There's no need for melodrama or heightened realities, no extremes or unexpected twists, just life, begging the question how much this relates to the director's life. Pleasant and never boring, Savelson sets the bar high for a follow-up.
November 30, 2012
After watching this movie I still have no idea why the father and son were so estranged, and overall the film lacked emotion which it desperately needed.
December 6, 2012
beautiful film with a great cast.
December 6, 2012
Wow. A movie built for the sentimental family types who enjoy those crappy family movies.
December 6, 2012
Saw it at the Woodstock Film Festival - fantastic movie, fantastic cast.
Chee T.
November 30, 2012
Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" kept running through my head...all actors gave great performances and each were very believable. I really enjoyed the movie it does not get stuck in Hollywood's rather boring formulaic neat happy movie.