In Praise Of Love (Éloge de l'amour) Reviews

January 9, 2012
I am just waiting for the cinephiles to jump all over me. A measly three stars for the return of the great Godard. The truth is that I wasn't terribly moved..and perhaps I wasn't meant to be. It's over my head.
May 19, 2015
nothing but chit-chat & a serious of images that don't add up to anything kinda like the horrible 'book of life' what was new and fresh in the sixties as 'French new wave' is now just a tired cliché.
½ October 9, 2014
There's already evidence here that Godard is just so full of himself to a point he loses his own way.
April 14, 2013
A non-linear film with multiple plots about everything and nothing. Only as enigmatic and provocative as his weakest work; this also perhaps represents one of his least accessible films and also the work of a director frustratingly stuck in his own style.
November 17, 2010
Visually stunning but dull and pretentious. Godard has lost it.
August 7, 2005
An excellent movie from an incredible man about a lot of things.
Very intelligent and difficult. Not for everyone.
½ June 25, 2005
The only piece of Godard work that I've truly found to be poor. It rambles to the point of incoherence and feels old and tired.

D:rotten:
February 24, 2005
Around the Bend- It was interesting road movie, that even running barely 80 min, never felt underdeveloped. Great performances by all three leads including Michael Caine who was only in it for the first 20 min or so. Great dimensional characters and relationships between all family members.

The Cookout- Offers little laughs in a underdeveloped story.

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War- If you are fan of Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, this is a must see. The action is great and more brutal than SPR. I found story very engaging unlike others. One of the best films of 2004.

Warriors of Heaven and Earth- Has almost a B-movie feel to it. I have seen this type of story done many times, but also a lot better.

In Praise of Love- I have seen only one other Godard (Contempt) and I wasn't a big fan of it. This movie will not make me into a Godard fan anytime soon. The movie feels disjointed and tries to be to smart. Godard is smart man, there is no denying it, but in this it seems to be smothering it in your face. Saying I am smarter than you. It takes an unnecessary and failing pot-shot at Steven Spielberg, Schindler's List, Hollywood. What also hurt this movie was that I found it extremely boring. I hated this movie.
½ December 26, 2003
Viewed 12/26/03 (DVD) (First Viewing)

Basically, je ne comprends pas. As I tried to desperately follow the narrative, I drank in the gorgeous imagery- some of the best I've seen from the last few years. Definitely will give it another viewing in the next few days.