Incident at Oglala - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Incident at Oglala Reviews

July 28, 2012
A bit lengthy documentary about a supposedly miscarriage of justice, detailing the favorable arguments of the defense, and conveniently leaving out much of the incriminating facts. Putting the case aside (I'm aware that I'm not here to pass my verdict on the case), the documentary itself wasn't so absorbing. Not that I was looking forward to a western fiction, but the execution was relatively inApt.
Harlequin68
½ April 22, 2010
[font=Century Gothic]Directed by Michael Apted, "Incident at Oglala" is a documentary about the shootout in the Jumping Bull Compound at the Pine Ridge Reservation on June 26, 1975 that left two FBI agents, Jack Coler and Ron Williams, dead. The movie then traces the origins of the militant American Indian Movement, before moving forward to cover the pursuit and trials of Darelle Butler, Bob Robideau and Leonard Peltier.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Incident at Oglala" contains some event reconstructions but is mostly interviews. And even though the sympathy is clearly with the defendants, participants from both sides including federal agents, eyewitnesses and lawyers(one of whom was William Kunstler) are heard from. I would have liked more biographical information on Leonard Peltier since he was one of the key players. The movie tries to fit the events into a pattern of persecution of American Indians by the federal government but this was another case of extreme justice that is endemic amongst law enforcement where somebody has to pay for the death of one of their own and the facts are simply made to fit the case. Luckily, the death penalty was not an option at the time.[/font]
January 12, 2012
A good introduction into current issues of Native rights in the United States and in particular the very controversial conviction of Leonard Peltier. Canadian viewers will see parallels to the incident at Ipperwash.
iLeo
March 4, 2008
Brilliant.
May 31, 2014
As a documentary, it would have been helpful if it had identified all the talking heads (is he on the defense team? Oh, he's on the jury...) so we could understand their frame of reference. As a historical piece, I'm left thinking, it is very possible that Leonard Peltier is guilty, but that he still got railroaded by the FBI and US Government when they knew they likely would not be able to convict. Does the end justify the means?
January 18, 2014
Pretty much love anything Redford produces and directs even when a difficult subject matter. Excellent.
½ January 11, 2010
This was unfortunately only average. Explored a few details of a case involving the death of 2 federal agents. I found it hard to believe the agents shot first with .38 against long-range AR-15. I think the AR-15 at the scene of the car explosion belonged to Robideau but it was kind of glossed over in the movie. The most intriguing part involved the vehicles. Did they ever find Jimmy Eagle? Leonard claims he knows who did it but chooses to stay in prison so I wouldn't support a pardon without bringing the guilty party to justice for the death of 2 men that had families. I sympathize with the improverished conditions described at the reservation but it doesn't condone stealing cowboy boots and killing agents.
June 12, 2009
Want to see where my HEART IS? Watch this documentary that was narrated by Robert Redford. Leonard Peltier is TODAY still in prison for a crime he DIDN'T COMMIT! If you have an OUNCE OF DECENCY in you and have NOT yet viewed this documentary, WATCH IT, and get ACTIVE and help JUSTICE PREVAIL and see Leonard Peltier RELEASED from prison. MITAKUYE OYASIN! HOKAH HEY!
½ June 26, 2007
How about a little Freedom and Democracy here please.A good start for people not up on problems still here at home.
May 22, 2007
A great documentary film by Mike Apted. Enlightening and enraging. It could have been more detailed and longer but that might have just bored people. Really worth watching.
April 27, 2007
Great documentary about the whole Leonard Peltier event. You need to see this to understand how the FBI works with Native peoples.
August 10, 2014
Pretty engrossing, though there were a couple of areas where there could have been a bit more elaboration in the interest of clarity, and it relies a little too much on talking heads and not enough on its excellent B-roll and stock footage.
May 31, 2014
January 18, 2014
November 25, 2013
this documentary is a good example of the social stratification among the Native American population and the conflict between the Indians and the US government.
January 14, 2013
I didn't know much about this event prior to watching this film. Overall, I found it to be a good introduction to Leonard Peltier's case. The film provided a sufficient amount of contextual information about the time period, AIM, the people involved, and Pine Ridge. I'd like to watch a more recent documentary or read a good book on the case to get more detailed and updated information. The film was clearly biased toward Peltier's innocence so I'd like to hear a bit more from the other side.
July 28, 2012
June 30, 2012
A masterpiece, as is the life of Leonard Peltier over the past 30-plus years of his wrongful imprisonment.
April 4, 2012
Just about the best documentary I have ever seen.