Incident at Loch Ness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Incident at Loch Ness Reviews

March 15, 2010
A surprisingly intelligent and well crafted satire of mockumentaries and documentaries. The inclusion of Herzog as himself is simply genius. Here is a man well educated and practiced in the world of films and documentaries, lampooning himself and his past to great effect. The line of "Differentiating between fact and truth" is a great one, filled with humor and genuine intrigue. The inclusion of Ricky Jay at the start also hints towards illusions and trickery. I found both the horror and comedy elements to work very well. The playboy sonar operator and the fake R/C monster were just two of the highlights. It was well thought out and feels real enough to pull you in. A rather wonderful surprise of a film for those willing to be taken on a ride.
½ December 8, 2007
If there's one thing I didn't think I would see Werner Herzog involved in, I guess it might very well be a mocumentary or fake documentary. I actually watched this film under the impression it was directed by Werner, but discovered at the credits it was directed by Zak Penn (who also starred as the producer in the fake doc that is the subject of the film) and co-produced by Werner (who also starred in the film as himself). If you can't already tell it's a rather hard film to explain, which I guess, when I think about it, makes it more sensible that Werner would be involved. Basically it's about Werner Herzog setting off on with producer Zak Penn and other professionals to Scotland to film a documentary about the Loch Ness myths, when they begin to encounter problems and eventually something much more extraordinary. The best description I've read about this film so far is that "it's the film the Blair Witch Project wanted to be", and that's pretty accurate. The reason this film works and is so entertaining is because it looks and feels like a real documentary, and thus it's that much more involving. I think if someone were to watch this not knowing it was a set-up, they may definitely think it was a real documentary to a point. It's because of that level of professionalism (no doubt inspired and caused by Herzog's involvement as actor and producer) that this film is able to do what other films like it have tried to do successfully, and in highly entertaining fashion.
Ryan M
½ December 22, 2010
7.2/10

I was obsessed with many things in my younger years of childhood. I was interested in Dinosaurs, the cryptic beings, and other things that lay beyond. I was also, at one time, obsessed with the potential existence of the Loch Ness Monster. My parents and friends alike denied the possibility. And over time, I too forgot about the beast. But somehow, somewhere; deep in my heart, Nessie still remains. Although there are those who are still in disbelief due to a lack of evidence, I support the case with the fact that there is also potential evidence. There are two sides to every mystery, and everyone seems to have one in this case. I have never known or met anyone who has ever seen what people think is "Nessie". I have heard of strange tales of other cryptic, lake-dwelling beings, but never that of Nessie. Nevertheless, I still believe that she's out there; swimming beneath still waters. "Incident at Loch Ness" is a mockumentary given to me from Heaven. It's as if Warner Herzog (the star) and Zak Penn (the director) took my dreams and turned them into a grim reality, or possibly even a nightmare. The fact that "Incident at Loch Ness" is entirely fictional is a sad one, although it's still fairly entertaining. It is not without its flaws; the film is only the incredibly entertaining fright-fest that it wants to be when the creature shows up and attacks the boat; but "Incident at Loch Ness" is sharp, well-made, and even quite funny. The fact that such a film can have a sense of humor is something that I find incredible. I also find it incredible that Herzog agreed to STAR in this film rather than DIRECT it as he always does. Herzog's performance makes me wonder if the man actually gives a damn about Nessie. He, much like the entire crew, is good in his performance. But then again, how can you screw something like this up? Even the most unlikable and stupid characters are nicely portrayed. The film is amusing; for as long as the scary fun chooses to last. I recommend it to anyone who has pursued Nessie's very existence. And if you like documentary/mockumentary films at all, then what the hell: I say go for it. This is not a film for everyone, but it's more intriguing than a hoax should be. And "Incident at Loch Ness" is most definitely a hoax. What proves interesting is finding that out as the film goes along at its ever-so-fast pace.

Werner Herzog and screen-writer Zak Penn want to shoot a documentary together. The subject is: The Loch Ness Monster. So after a dinner with some "surprise guests", the entire crew heads out to Scotland to shoot their production. Things turn bad easily, as Zak isn't the most honest guy and Herzog seems to have a problem with everything he is doing. Nothing really happens for a while, but then came a ripple and a large, black hump. This is the sort of infamous appearance that old Nessie seems to give off. And Herzog and his crew get to see her up close and personal. After the first sighting, things go from bad to nightmarish as Nessie appears to be attacking the boat from below. She consistently rams into the vessel, causing it to rock and causing people to fall over-board. And with an ominous mist surrounding them and no way to save themselves, the crew find themselves, as a fellow would say, "screwed". And they are indeed "screwed", thanks to a lack of resources and a giant reptile in the water. It would be easy to say that "Incident at Loch Ness" abruptly shifts from a comedy/drama/thriller to an all-out horror film, but that's not exactly the case. I do not think it is right to call this "horror". Perhaps "thrilling" will suffice as an extremely vague description. The plot gets more interesting as the monster attacks, but the conversations between the characters don't give any essence to why we should care about them. But then again, I wanted to see a damn monster. And I saw a damn monster. So there you go: "Incident at Loch Ness" is the best faux mockumentary to ever star a giant, aquatic Dinosaur. It will please just about anyone who sees it for what it is, although I do not imagine that many will truly "love it". It could have been better; I will admit that much. But then again, it's one of the best Loch Ness Monster-movies us obsessive fans will ever get. And the fact alone that somebody would want to answer our call is certainly admirable.

I do not know whether to call the efforts of the cast "performances". These are people who are playing themselves in a highly fictitious situation, although everyone does a surprisingly convincing job. Werner Herzog does well without giving us much true insight into his own being. Zak Penn himself isn't the most likable guy, and I wouldn't want him directing my movie, but hey; he sort of exists for comic relief (even when we don't want it). Everyone else seems to be filler, and in the end it feels like the "Werner Herzog Show". Perhaps that is what it is. And I'm fine with that. But what I find to be absolutely ingenious about the casting is that the "surprise guests" that I mention happen to be the likes of Jeff Goldblum and Ricky Jay. Brilliant!

Who needs the sentimental, kid-friendly approach to the legend of the Loch Ness Monster when you can turn it into a thriller? Herzog and his crew manage to catch some chilling (but fake) evidence that Nessie exists, and it sent true chills down my spine. There was one part I liked in particular, and that was in the end where Herzog is in the water, filming, and allows the monster to come right at him. I thought that the film should have ended right there. It would have left us to guess whether Zak and the rest of the gang truly survive. I would have liked this film to arouse more questions than it already does, but it still ends on a fairly decent note. At least we (sort of) know who's conning who. The mockumentary style of "Incident at Loch Ness" is very effective. This film had to be done this way, I feel, and I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as a typically-shot work. The camera-work adds an atmosphere to the film, and I liked that a lot. The encounters feel more thrilling, exciting, and even frightening. It's not quite "Blair Witch" style filmmaking, but it makes use of the shaky-camera work to glorious effect. I recommend it to lovers of true atmosphere. All in all, it has an equal amount of winning style and substance. It could have done without a few things, but otherwise I'd call it "pretty darn good". After all: it's not disrespective of my beliefs.

Obsession is a frightening thing. It can lead us to do crazy stuff. Perhaps this film demonstrates obsession, but not in its most savage state. "Incident at Loch Ness" is the first GOOD Loch Ness Monster-themed film to be scary but not suck. Perhaps it is even the last. Most films based on the legend take the kid-friendly approach. I understand that since it is an old legend, but these sorts of films are minor, but much appreciated breaths of fresh air. Gulping it all down in one sitting is made fun and easy through thrills and all-around good filmmaking. I don't care if it is a hoax or not (which it is); I liked this film. It was a non-pretentious thriller, and for the most part it seemed to know what it was and where it was going. It could have been amazing if it hadn't been so damn boring in the beginning, but it gets real interesting as time goes on. It's a film that deserves your time, and you must be patient. If you are not, then you may write this one off completely. The reason why I don't is because I paid attention. This film not only got it, but it EARNED it. I saw it for some faux monster footage, and I got a good amount of that. The best thing is that it's fake, but doesn't feel as if it is. It takes a bold new venture in filmmaking to do that, and perhaps someday they will perfect the Nessie-inspired film. But for now, this is the best you are going to get.
February 15, 2010
A farce involving the director I love to hate..Werner Herzog. Here Werner enjoys poking fun at his own efforts with an interesting cast of characters. The anti-documentary.
September 25, 2008
Interesting, and very original "MOCKUMENTARY" about the lochness monster. What makes this more interesting is Werner Herzog is on it!!
½ February 13, 2008
Wernor Herzog, coward. Zak Penn, hero. That's all you need to know. A great look at one man's courage.
March 8, 2008
"The truth was not ecstatic. It was vulgar and pointless." Meditations on the possibility of truth in documentary film making, voiced by Zak Penn, screenwriter of Elecktra. Yes, please and thank you.
½ July 21, 2008
You'd probably have to be a fan of Werner Herzog's, or at least familiar with his work and epic reputation, in order to enjoy this. I am, and I did. Herzog's obvious self-awareness and ability to laugh at himself (and the myths surrounding him) are quite amusing.
½ May 27, 2008
I haven't seen this recently, but it came up when I was looking for the unfortunate movie, "Loch Ness Terror" I really loved this movie. It was super funny, and I want to hug it. Everyone should watch it and love it and give it kisses.
November 15, 2007
There is an aside during the dinner scene, in Werner Herzog's kitchen; Herzog beams as he considers the joys and risks of preparing potentially toxic yucca root for his incipient dinner guests. The smile on Herzog's face is positively ecstatic.
½ July 31, 2007
Remarkable in so many ways -- Herzog is brilliant, but almost everyone else is a tad too wacky for the sincerity of it all. Still, the overall project is hilarious.
July 7, 2007
i could say it is elements of curb your enthusiasm, life aquatic, and blair witch; but this would be doing this movie a disservice. this has genius all its own; funny stuff.
January 30, 2015
To the critics who panned this film--please, come up with something more original. That would be impressive. However, you're critics and incapable of producing an original thought
September 22, 2014
A brilliant mockumentary that is a MUST SEE for Werner Herzog fans!
½ August 23, 2014
Didnt care for this one too much. I'm a big found footage fan too. Just seemed like a lot of build up for nothing really. Didn't even feel any intense scenes in this one. Maybe if you enjoy Lochness Lore, you'll get something out of it.
November 26, 2013
Incident at Loch Ness showcases the fun nature of watching a Herzog film (even though it wasn't directed by him). It contains the mockery and Herzog's playful personality with the 'truths' of cinema.
March 11, 2013
I watched this when it just came out. At the time I was a child and was actually quite interested in the whole cryptozoology thing, so normally this movie seemed very realistic to me. Today, when I look back, I still think the movie is entertaining, even though I now don't believe in such things. I somewhat interpret it as a mockery of many TV shows which are about "monster hunting" and try to present themselves as real (such as Destination Truth). If you like mockumentaries or found-footage movies, I recommend this one, at least it's not about hauntings or the supernatural like most are today.
August 2, 2013
A very creative mockumentary, or creative documentary. Herzog's presence is actually quite imposing and the film comes across as much more impressive than other creature feature films of the kind with its hands on approach and gripping pace, as well as a sense of humour and ability to create a suspenseful atmosphere.
½ September 6, 2012
Total crap. Iam astonished that somebody liked it.
I do not think it was worth to make copied and screen it...
The festival that awarded it looses totally its credibility