The Indian in the Cupboard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Indian in the Cupboard Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
July 8, 2012
This is a pretty good kid's film that has some wonderful special effects and an interesting story to boot. The film is entertaining and fun. The cast do a good here and they manage to pull off something special. The film isn't perfect, but for what it is, it's a worthwhile family film. The film is something that the family is sure to enjoy and this is an enjoyable that is memorable and worth watching. The cast is good and there are plenty of good things going on here to make the film interesting and entertaining. Frank Oz's directing is wonderful, and he captures something special on-screen. The lead actor is great in his role, but at times the film tends to falter and become a tad uninteresting. Luckily there are more good elements at work on-screen to make The Indian in the Cupboard a good little film. Despite the flaws, you can't help but feel astounded by the great special effects, which add so much depth to this film. This is a well made film with a good cast and story as well as good directing. If you're looking for a wonderful family film, this is the one to watch. Although it suffers from a few imperfections, it still manages to be one entertaining film worth watching. The Indian in the Cupboard succeeds at being an entertaining film, and I thought it was fairly underrated. The cast and story are good, and in the end, that's what makes it worth seeing. Also the special effects make this one stand out among other films in the genre.
½ September 10, 2011
Underrated and highly involving movie for kids. A young boy finds out that his cupboard has magical powers and can turn plastic into reality. He first turns a plastic Indian into a real human being. The movie teaches about responsibility but in an understandable way. It isn't patronizing nor childish, which means older audiences should relate to it also. It also mediates on life and death at certain points, and was the first film in a long time to be genuinely emotionally shocking. The relationship between the Indian and the cowboy was very well developed as they started to bond over their tragedies. The film does have a number of loose edges. Rishi Bhat was particularly annoying at times, but in a way he was necessary to play off Scardino. Even Scardino wasn't always a lovable protagonist. In one scene he kicks his brother's pet rat down the stairs, in an event where the rat clearly would have died. As the film hadn't relied on cartoon logic up until that point it was a bit out of place. Great effects, and seeing Darth Vader vs. a T-Rex kind of made up for those moments. A more innocent time when children's movies didn't have to be loud and crass.
½ September 6, 2010
I didn't like this movie when I was a kid, but I haven't seen it since, so I don't remember why really... I should see it again sometime.
thmtsang
January 2, 2011
Children's movie about a boy who finds a real life Indian in the cupboard.
May 11, 2010
An unintentionally weird and bizarre kid's movie. I really do wish I had this cupboard, but Omri had no idea how to control or take advantage of this amazing tool. This really just doesn't go anywhere except into a semi-history lesson about the nature of cowboys and Indians. There was no need for it to be preachy. However, it does have some good moments and it was honestly a nice try.
FilmFanatik
April 22, 2007
Pretty bad.
½ January 18, 2010
Very good! Very well made!
ScoopOnline
December 12, 2009
I can watch this Movie over and over again, it is such a sweet TV Movie.
½ April 26, 2008
Good movie for the kids. I liked the part where he brings his Robocop and Darth Vader figures to life.
½ December 2, 2007
I loved it when my teacher read this book to us in 5th grade. The movie was pretty neat also.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 18, 2007
i like this film its very sweet and gd
August 8, 2007
It was a pretty cute movie.
July 5, 2007
I thought it would be as fantastic as "The Neverending Story". Nope. It's a movie about responsibility and friendship; even with some humanitarian and history lessons thrown in. The trailers showed the space toys fighting with the dinosaurs; but it was only one shot for the ads. The cupboard was used for the cowboy and indian figurines primarily. I felt like I was reading a scholastic book, with its elementary plot. There were no great bounds of imagination to be found in this somewhat disappointing film.
Gavin the moviejunkie1994
September 7, 2010
I remember watching this as a fourth grader in elementary school after reading the book in which it was based on and after viewing this a few times, it's kind of a very decent movie. Not great, but its really good and here's the reason why.

The premise about Omri realizing that a magical cupboard brings toys to life (and no, it's not like that CGI animated film Toy Story) was very interesting. The performances were very good including the performance from Omri and Patrick.

The special effects from the famous Industrial Light and Magic Company were quite spectacular and the blue screen effects were very good. Even the music was good and very emotional.

The movie, while being faithful to the book, does have some flaws that didn't leave an impact.

In the book, Little Bear has a wife before saying goodbye to Omri while in the movie, he doesn't.

In the book, Little Bear becomes chief after the chief dies when he was very frightened of Omri, but in the movie, however, he doesn't become a chief.

In the book, Omri and Patrick get sent to the principal's office before Patrick explains that they have a real live Boone and Little Bear in his pocket, but in the movie, that didn't really happened.

That's all I gotta say about the flaws because some of scenes were quite faithful to the book.

To conclude this, The Indian in the Cupboard isn't great, but its a very good family-adventure movie and it's really worth checking out.

6.7 out of 10
July 30, 2011
a seriously enjoyable fun family film that deserves credit for being as strong and innocent as E.T.! A
½ April 11, 2007
Classic!
½ December 20, 2007
Moving swiftly on and ignoring the massive amount of deus-ex-machina in this film (to be honest it would take a whole other film to explain it all), we quickly accept that boy has magic cupboard that can turn toys into people. The crux of the movie is in it's message about children learning responsibility, and this is done brilliantly without getting heavy-handed or overly sentimental. It's a film that every child should watch so they learn to think about the possible consequences of their actions.
I also have to give an extra half-star for the bit when Darth Vader fights a Tyrannosaur.
April 28, 2008
Just okay but I loved it when it came out.
mingsysar
August 14, 2006
Magical. The indian that is, not the film. I do want to see it again just because I don't remember Steve Coogan or Vincent Kartheiser, and I want to see the Indian again.
iLeo
½ May 17, 2008
A childhood favorite! Litefoot is phenomenal!!