Innocence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Innocence Reviews

maxthesax
January 5, 2009
taking on a seldom seen topic, Innocence contains some very poignant moments while the script peals off messages on the true meaning of love.

Introduced by narrative letters we learn that Andreas has discovered that his "first love" is living in the same town, so he deems to write to her. The story then unfolds - the first re-uniting, etc, all while the film interjects scenes from their past (which I found to be off putting at first, but then found it to be well within the feel of the film).

That the two are in fact still in love is interesting, as both feel empty in their lives and see in the other the possibility of fullfillment. But is this love? Of a sort, to be certain - and it is the examining of the nature of love that the film is all about; from the fuddy husband who realizes only too late that he has taken his wife for granted all these years, to the wife who reacts to the invitation to love again as only a woman living as a ghost can react - with full bravado that collides directly with her years of accumulated common sense.

There is a telling scene in which the woman is at a small party, dancing and laughing, suddenly alive - and her husband watches and realizes, all too late, that he does indeed love her, and has neglected her in his own narcisism. From this scene you can see that his reaching out to her is more than just a selfish need to protect his property.

The pentultimate scene, in which Andreas plays the pipe organ for his love is beautiful, not only in the emotion that he pours into his performance, but in her reaction, letting the music swell over her like waves, only to drown in the true expression of love. Such a truth, and yet, the final voice over, in which she speaks from the grave to me lost all the momentum it had carries until that point - claiming that she loved both Andreas and her husband, each in their own way, was totally bogus and a false note in what otherwise was a beautiful tome to ageing and to endless love.
½ October 23, 2014
I wanted to like this film more than I did. Too many of the scenes seemed disjointed, and there was no sense of what the relationships between the characters had been in their youths. The son seemed totally disinterested. None of the characters seemed to be relating to each other.
½ September 13, 2007
A human story told with taste and simplicity. Makes you long for an American filmmaker with the guts to put the AARP generation in roles this deep and rewarding.
August 12, 2014
Tender, unabashed look at seniors in love.
maxthesax
January 5, 2009

June 13, 2008
What a boring and senseless movie :mad: , what a waste of money and time. Terrible story, terrible cast = mediocre movie.
April 24, 2007
A very sweet film, beautifully made and wonderfully acted. It's a great story but I was very bored watching it. I felt it moved at a near snail's pace.
May 29, 2006
STANDARDIZED MOVIE EVALUATION
(comments may contain spoilers)

I. CONTENT (out of 3 stars plus bonus, composite of sub-criteria bellow): --->2.25<---

i. PHILOSOPHICAL/PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPTH (out of 2 stars, where very shallow = 0; shallow = 0.25 or 0.5; somewhat deep = 0.75 or 1.0; deep = 1.25 or 1.5; very deep = 1.75 or 2.0)
---> 1.5 <---

Well, when I finished watching this movie at 1 AM I was crying (I am a straight man but I allow myself to cry). I cried about the condition of humanity. Humans are capable of such great love towards another person, but eventually they die and they die FOREVER. I as the main character of the movie do not belief in the life after death, after which we can reunite with our loved one. I adhere literally to the following biblical truism: "From dust we come, to dust we shall return". We cannot relive our life with the loved one. Once our years are gone they are gone. And there is nothing after death. I know that the movie tries to convey a message of hope, and knowing that that hope is vain makes me cry even more...

ii. SCREENPLAY ORIGINALITY (out of 1 star, where very banal = 0; banal = 0.25; somewhat original = 0.5; original = 0.75; very original = 1.0):
--->0.75<---

Despite the tired romance theme the movie is original.

+ BONUS FOR CONTAINING CONTROVERSIAL & UNPOPULAR TOPICS (up to 0.5 star, where controversial topics = 0.25; unpopular and taboo topics = 0.5)

II. PRODUCTION (out of 2 stars plus bonus, composite of sub-criteria bellow):
---> 1.75<---

iii. ACTING (out of 1 star, where very ineffective = 0; ineffective = 0.25; somewhat effective = 0.5; effective = 0.75; very effective = 1.0):
---> 0.75 <---

Acting is quite effective.

iv. PRESENTATION (out of 1 star, where very ineffective = 0; ineffective = 0.25; somewhat effective = 0.5; effective = 0.75; very effective = 1.0):
--->1.0 <---

The presentation is very effective and intense !

+ BONUS FOR PRODUCING ON LOW BUDGET (up to 0.5 stars, where up to one million dollars budget = 0.25; up to half a million dollars budget = 0.5)

TOTAL STAR RATING:
--->4.0<---

GRADE & RECOMMENDATION (above 5.0 = A+," Very Good Movie, Highly Recommend"; 5.0 & 4.75 = A," Very Good Movie, Highly Recommend"; 4.5 = A-, " Very Good Movie, Highly Recommend"; 4.25 = B+, "Good Movie, Recommend"; 4.0 & 3.75 = B, "Good Movie, Recommend"; 3.5 = B - "Good Movie, Recommend"; 3.25 = = C+, "Fair Movie" ; 3.0 & 2.75 = C, "Fair Movie"; 2.5 = C-, "Fair Movie"; 2.25 = D+, "Poor Movie"; 2.0 & 1.75 = D, "Poor Movie"; 1.5 = D-, "Poor Movie"; bellow 1.5 = F, "Very Poor Movie") :
--->B," Good Movie, Recommend" <----

BALANCED MPAA RATING (not biased in favor of violence and against sexuality, where G = no violence, no sexuality; PG = OK slight violence, OK slight sexuality; PG-13 = OK moderate violence, OK moderate sexuality; R = OK explicit violence, OK explicit sexuality; NC-17 = OK extreme violence, OK extreme sexuality)

--->G<---
January 16, 2004
[size=3]Australian director Paul Cox crafts a truly moving romantic picture...which in my experience, is a real rarity in movies. What is unusual about this film is that the subject of its romance isn't a pair of beautiful twenty-somethings but an elderly couple in their seventies who meet after decades of separation to discuss their lives. Through flashbacks, we see that the couple once was a pair of young, beautiful, misty-eyed dreamers...but now they are older, wiser, more resigned to the realities of the world. Despite their world-weariness, it does not take long for the couple, Andreas and Claire, to realize they are still in love with each other. In a way, we sense that their love is even stronger now than it was fifty years ago, for now the two realize how rare and precious a thing true love is. Alas, the games of fate are cruel, and both seniors are forced to confront their own routines if they are to seriously pursue their love. Claire has been happily married for years, if happily is the right way to describe a marriage that has never contained unhappiness. And Andreas is recently widowed and is not positive he wants to create new emotional attachments once again. [i]Innocence [/i]could have been a laughable melodrama but it transcends that level because its characters are so real and grounded in everyday life. This is the type of film that could be described as boring, because little happens, but there is absolutely nothing boring about a film in which scene after scene sparkles with genuine observation of how we behave. [i]Innocence [/i]is such a film. The lead performances by Julia Blake and Charles Tingwell are amazingly natural, and Terry Norris has a smaller but equally crucial role as Claire's husband...a decent, loving man who has taken his wife's love for granted for so many years that he is shocked to discover the romantic triangle that is developing. The resolution of [i]Innocence [/i]is a touching affirmation of the need for human connections, a perfect ending for a sweet, touching, melancholy film.[/size]
[size=3][/size]