Inside Daisy Clover - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inside Daisy Clover Reviews

½ September 5, 2010
This is such a disappointing movie! It's got a fantastic cast, but it wastes them on a cliched, predictable, old story with nothing new to offer. I will say that it has some good moments, but overall it's a let down, especially the end.
nelsonpickens
November 15, 2010
"Inside Daisy Clover" is the earliest movie I've seen that features an actress play on the same field as any of the top actors of the time. Natalie Wood never really got the credit she deserved as an actress, and this was the reason she became the legend she's remembered as. The supporting cast is amazing with Christopher Plummer as the very creepy studio executive and Robert Redford as a closeted Bi-Sexual actor, which seemed incredibly revolutionary for the time it was made. It's kind of the female version "Rebel without a Cause" mixed in with a demented Sherry Temple story.
Harlequin68
½ November 13, 2009
"Inside Daisy Clover" starts with Mrs. Clover(Ruth Gordon) reporting her husband missing. So, what if it took her seven years to do so? Who's counting, anyway? Her 15-year old daughter Daisy(Natalie Wood) does, just after her birthday present arrives in the person of Raymond Swan(Christopher Plummer) who auditions her for a role in his film studio. She gets the part and goes far in mind from Angel Beach, California to Hollywood but loses her mother to an institution, and in the process is given over to the guardianship of her older sister Gloria(Betty Harford).

The darkly entertaining "Inside Daisy Clover" is a critical deconstruction of Hollywood that sits on the edge between old and new and made at a time when the studio system was crumbling once and for all. The technicolor musical numbers are resplendent, just as the movie dwells on the human cost of becoming a star where Daisy must perform not only on the screen but off too. At the heart of it all is a massive public relations campaign to soften the edges of Daisy into a desexualized gamine ripe for public consumption in movies to distract the public from the Great Depression, at the same time she has a sexual affair with an older man that is statutory rape.(I actually prefer the old system in the way information was controlled. Right now, I know too many personal details of people I could care less about in movies I will never see.) What Daisy loses in the bargain is her freedom and it is telling that she is happy only when barefoot, in a sort of reverse Cinderella fable. The main problem is that Natalie Wood is unconvincing playing a teenager which is ironic since she was a child star at one time, as was Roddy McDowall. Her co-star, Robert Redford, on the edge of his own personal stardom, gives a very loose performance and the next time viewers would see any gaps in his armor would be in of all movies, "Spy Game."
July 11, 2012
Bizarre, WTF satire (?) of Hollywood fame and its affect on those stars passing through its gates. From the get-go, you have next to no idea what the heck this movie is shooting for. I have no idea what the novel was like, so I have no idea whether this film is completely off-base, or is it just unsuccessfully trying to adapt an "un-adaptable" book. Garish, unpleasant, pointless.
June 14, 2011
Stage Mothers seem to be a reoccurring theme in Natalie Wood movies & this Rags to Riches to Nervous Breakdown Movie, is no exception.From Tom Boy to Shining Star, but celebrity has a cruel price, & she never wanted it in the 1st place, & it backfires on the crazy Stage Mother too.
Natalie Wood is so underrated & forgotten, but what a great & beautiful talent she was.This Movie is Fun yet Poignant with a GREATTTTTT ending.
November 23, 2009
One of Natalie Woods better performances, but she still isn't great. Robert Redford is very stiff and unpolished in an early role. It's a good story with numerous interesting moments. I couldn't help but think how a different cast could have made such a difference. Well produced.
August 19, 2007
i really like this movie...i got real attatched to natalie wood's character, and wanted to castrate a few men after watching it...very good.
½ March 31, 2015
Inside Daisy Clover is an amazing film. It is about a tomboy turned movie star who deals with the cruelty of Hollywood. Christopher Plummer, Natalie Wood, and Robert Redford give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Robert Mulligan did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Inside Daisy Clover is a must see.
January 15, 2015
I watched an interesting movie the other night on TCM, "Inside Daisy Clover." I think I may have seen this movie sometime after 1966 when it was released, but I could hardly remember it. I also have the impression that it hadn't impressed me much at the time, or since. Now, with much more experience thinking about movies, I liked it much better.

It starred Robert Redford, Natalie Wood and Christopher Plummer. The story is about a fifteen year-old waif from the wrong side of the tracks (in this instance, a run-down Southern California wharf/fun house/carnival type of place). She makes a record of herself singing and sends it to a big Hollywood film company. The owner of Swan Productions is intrigued, supposedly by her "talent" and decides to groom her for stardom. While that's happening, big movie star Wade Lewis (Robert Redford) sweeps her off her feet and proposes marriage. She, of course, is totally overwhelmed. They marry and start on their honeymoon, but stop at a run-down adobe motel in the desert for the night. When she wakes up in the morning, Redford is gone, having abandoned her. She returns to Hollywood and continues with her training, being completely controlled and manipulated and groomed for stardom by the big mogul, played by a very dapper, sinister and domineering Christopher Plummer.

Now, the interesting thing about this movie is that all of the above-the unfolding of the plot-just happens, with little emotion or fanfare, leaving the viewer to try to guess the motives and feelings of all the characters. You could say, in a sense, that all of the "action" takes place as subtext. We have to guess what the plans and schemes and motivations are, because there is little conflict or drama to convey it to us overtly. What does the mogul really want for Daisy? Is he a sneaky Machiavelli or does he really want to do good for her? Why did her new husband abandon her in the motel? Did he have a good reason? Was he motivated to help her in some unknown way, or is he just a cad? Why didn't the studio head try to stop the obviously inappropriate marriage between an adult Redford and a (at most) sixteen year-old budding star, running the risk of ruining both of their futures and reputations? I won't answer these questions in case you might want to see the movie sometime.

This movie was beautifully produced, directed and paced. Natalie Wood was not quite up to the demands of her role, but the rest of the cast was excellent (including an Academy Award for Ruth Gordon). One might easily take this unfolding plot at face value if it weren't for some disturbing aspects to the goings-on. The production was curiously adorned with the atmosphere of a horror movie, with many "noirish," drawn-out scenes to keep the audience restless and in anticipation even when the plot itself-what was actually happening on screen-didn't seem to raise any red flags. And even more curiously, one scene was actually punctuated by the now infamous screeching sounds immortalized in the murder scene in "Psycho." Did Mulligan steal this from Hitchcock?

If this movie wasn't so well paced, one would be tempted to pick on the various credulity gaps in the script. The main problem is that during Daisy's training we are subjected to two or three complete musical productions with Daisy singing and dancing (yes, the film was a strange sort of "musical.") These performances exposed Natalie Wood (assuming the voice was hers and not dubbed) as a barely adequate song-and-dance girl, and raises the question of how the Big Producer in the movie was so impressed by her marginal talent as to decide to take her on. Setting aside the unlikely Cinderella aspect of her "discovery," how would anyone have been impressed by that voice? Many movies of the '40s and '50 tended to tell the audience what to think about the characters and their abilities in cases where those talents were not convincingly demonstrable-stars making like they are playing a musical instrument when they obviously couldn't; or preposterously miscast roles played by ingenue types trying to appear as professors, businessmen or statesmen, but without the gravitas to be at all convincing-and not even to mention that Hollywood didn't learn how to make fights look real until at least the early '60s. "Daisy" was thought by some to be ahead of its time, and that's true in the sense that it what didn't work then, seems to work much better now.
May 25, 2013
Just saw it on TCM. Worst movie I ever saw. What a waste of talent.
May 25, 2013
Despite the modified Buster Brown haircut, 27 year old Natalie Wood just doesn't come across as a 16 year old. And "sophisticated" Wade Lewis was played by 29 year old Robert Redford .. only 2 years older than Natalie Wood!
½ May 25, 2013
Bad, simply bad. Natalie Wood is wasted in this. She was too old to play a teenager. What's with the wig? Just weird and distracting. They needed to do more than just get a bunch of old cars to make it seem like the 1930's too. And the musical numbers were atrocious. Nevertheless, Robert Redford was sure gorgeous though.
February 7, 2012
I love this movie, and it's portrayal of the pain and sham behind the face of Holliwood glory.
July 19, 2010
Robert Redford is wonderful in this; Natalie Wood had terrible direction but I still liked her. Reminded me of how beautiful Christopher Plummer was in the early days - swoon worthy. What is great about this is the story and the idea for the story. Someone should remake this with the same theme but without the horrible songs and 60s mod. Seems interesting to me that they directly address gay actors marrying straight actresses. Ruth Gordon was nominated for her role here so it is worth watching for that.
Harlequin68