70% Hercules Jul 25

Inside Man Reviews

skactopus
skactopus

November 18, 2012
Spike Lee's Inside Man leaves it all inside the bank.For a 2 hour film that spends most of its time in a bank, the story remains intriguing throughout. The pacing is never to slow nor to fast, but the storytelling is choppy during some instances, although it is easy to see what Spike Lee is trying to do. It's only a minor irritant when all is said and done.There's not a lot of action in here, and quite frankly this picture doesn't need it. The plot and dialogue of the characters is enough to keep this film afloat.Denzel Washington's persona and line delivery is on the money, while Clive Owen's confident character is a good adversary for Washington. The mystery that surrounds Jodie Foster's character is fantastic; however, she loses points for lack of screen time.As far as crime thrillers go, Inside Man comes together as a recommendable production.
Albert K

October 13, 2010
I understand that I am alone in this, but I still stand by my opinion. I was not engaged in this heist thriller. Did not enjoy the score. Loved the cinematography and the acting, but the plot failed to impress and draw me in.
Graham J

October 30, 2011
A new area for Lee, this exciting thriller features great performances but also Lee is still able to inject his usual social commentary subliminally, this is Spike Lee's late masterpiece.
Kase V

June 23, 2011
Spike Lee's 'Inside Man' is a pulse-pounding ride that has plenty of entertainment value. This script is top-notch, and Lee really uses it to his advantage to flesh out everything the story has to offer. Performances from Owen and Washington will keep you entranced the entire film, but Foster was laughable. I could not take her character seriously, and its sometimes hard to watch. Plummer did nice as a rather small but important character. The cinematography was fine as well. Crisp editing made it easy to distinguish between the crime and the interviews, scenes of the movie that were very well done. Also, the best and most interesting villains are the ones that are smart, crafty, and acted very well. Think of the 'Dark Knight's Joker, for example. And Owen played that part perfectly. A great script is vital for great entertainment, and there is plenty of that here.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 29, 2011
Spike Lee hasn't had a hit in a long time, here he brings us back the magic. The acting is good in this movie but Clive Owen steals the show. The plot is genius and not just a hostage movie, but something much more. The music was really good but sometimes it was a little weird. I lived Inside Man.
Dan S

June 24, 2007
An energetic, fast-paced bank heist thriller concerning a cop (Denzel Washington) looking to free himself of a "dirty" label that has been attached to his name, who is put on the case of a bank robbery, where the robbers (led by Clive Owen) demands or motives remain largely in the dark. The scenes between Washington and Owen alone merit it a view, but Lee's stylistic choices work wonders for the most part. Yes, it gets a little to preachy and there's the obligatory racial take on New York City, but this is mostly terrific stuff. Not Lee's best film, but certainly an impressive entry into his filmography.
Christopher A

February 20, 2011
Smart and clean, the Inside Man is probably the most engaging Bank Robbery flick out there and will leave you hard at work to figure out what is actually going on throughout, its really that good.

The pairing of Denzel Washington and Clive Owen as the good guy / bad guy combo works brilliantly as our loyalties never quite fall on either side fully and herein lies the genius of this film. Even at the end you aren't really sure of the integrity of either character but still end up liking both in their own way.

The whole film will keep you guessing until the very end and is so creative, it may even give you an idea or two as to how to rob a bank!

"Who ever heard of a bank robbers escaping on a plane with fifty hostages? Why? I don't know. "
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 3, 2007
clive owen and denzel together, they should do this more often
Daniel P

April 16, 2007
This wasn't as good as people had told me it was (maybe because I watched it on TV, with commercials?), but it was still a fine action movie. Lee makes some interesting visual choices and as a whole the cast is good - surprisingly, I found the only underwhelming performance came from one of my favourites, Jodie Foster. She just seemed kind of flat.

Plot-wise, there are some unconventional twists, and you are still guessing until the end. Bummer that the sequel's not happening after all, the ending is open to it. As worth watching as any other Denzel Washington movie: very.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 2, 2010
I usually hate Spike Lee films. I find his films preachy and sentimental, and personally, I have little respect for the guy. I find him arrogant, rude, obnoxious. And if you hate his films, you're automatically a racist. Well I've hate a lot of his work. Do The Right Thing, I found it preached a conflicting message of rights. I thought that film was very hypocritical. Anyways, I'm not writing a review for that film just yet. Inside Man is a drastic departure for Lee as it is a heist film, not a civil rights films. Which I thought was a bit weird. But this was a surprise. A good little heist film, but not the best, this film feels like it's been done before. Done before, and done better. The cast assembled here is well chosen.
Lady D

August 3, 2006
Certainly one of the most creative bank robbery style films out there and in my opinion Owen's best role to date. A cleverly plotted robbery and enjoyable interaction between Robber and Detective (Owen and Washington).

Definitely a recommendation.
Jay H

July 30, 2010
Poor scripting, mediocre acting, but neat premise. Still don't understand how this could be liked by so many.
Al S

February 28, 2007
It's a first-rate no-holds-barred crime-thriller. Sizzling, crackling, smart and totally engaging. A piercing bullet of suspense and excitement. It will keep you on the edge with it's brain and everything you can want in a movie. You'll be guessing right till the end. An awesome cast. Denzel Washington and Clive Owen give superb performances. With these two great actors going head to head crossing wit and intensity is like watching a dream come true. A great all-star cast. Jodie Foster gives a tough, confident and terrific performance. Christopher Plummer, Chiwetel Ejifore and Willem Dafoe also give great performances. Movies dont get any better than this. Wickedly cool and satisfyingly ingenious. Director, Spike Lee crafts his best film in years. It stands with the 25th Hour and Malcom X. It's a well-executed and perfectly crafted heist picture. It's Heat meets The Negotiator.
Jens S

June 13, 2006
One of the most brilliant heist movies of recent years about a bank robbery where things are never like they seem to be. A great cast delivers excellent performances and dialogues, even though Jodie Fosters character could easily have been left out it's still a nice addition to Clive Owen and Denzel Washington being awesome, especially in their first phone conversation with each other. Saying more than that about the plot twists should already be against the law. Even though the movie maybe could have been 10 minutes shorter, it is nice how detailed and clever it is. The Bond-esque soundtrack is wonderfully pompous, the camera work outstanding. Intelligent, exciting and entertaining: Not Spike Lee's most important film, but easily his best.
Lewis C

June 21, 2007
This is one of my favorite Spike Lee joints, one of my favorite Denzel Washington movies, and one of my favorite heist films. Spike didn't get too heavy-handed with his usual trademarks, and allowed the clever story and the talented actors to carry the movie. It works very well, because of this.

Inside Man has one of the best casts that I can think of. Jodie Foster, Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, and several other great actors would be a near-guarantee of quality in any movie, especially when they're paired with a good script and a good director. I hope that the eventual sequel will also be this good.
Conner R

November 25, 2009
Inside Man is a perfectly crafted heist film from Spike Lee. It has a great sense of pace and has one of the best plots of its kind. Clive Owen is the ultimate bank robber with no time for mistakes. It has all of Spike Lee's great film-making techniques and his great unique style.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
Oooooh sexy stylish movie.
i love it!
fantastic cast fantastic acting and a fantastic storyline that gives you twists and turns like you'd never believe and at the end you think wow that is awesome.
really good movie about a bank heist that is smarter than any other bank heist in the world with clive owen playing the theif!
its a brilliatn clever stylish sexy entertaining and seriously enjoying movie that shouldnt be missd at all!
Anthony L

September 3, 2009
A decent 'Bank Job' movie with an original twist.
Sarah G

August 23, 2006
Review to come at some stage