62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Insidious: Chapter 2 Reviews

Flutie A

July 31, 2014
Again, it was pretty decent, and I really liked how it tied together with the first one.
Edward B

May 25, 2014
James Wan still knows how to pull off some cool, if not scary, haunted house sequences. But none of the problems from the first Insidious have been fixed, and now the novelty is gone. Insidious: Chapter 2 complicates its scenarios with too much backstory. Its twists are predictable and the film seems too concerned with building a franchise than making an entertaining movie.
Everett J

March 24, 2014
Here's a case where the sequel absolutely sucks compared to the original. The first movie was so fresh, original, and creepy that it would be hard to follow-up. I give em props for trying, and actually taking this into a very almost hockey type of horror movie, but it just never really works. It picks up right after the first movie, and all the actors return. It just never settles into the same groove and goes into some weird directions, that eliminates the scares completely. I hope with the 3rd movie(there will be another one) that it goes in a new direction, which I've read is the plan. The would be wise, because this story doesn't have anymore juice at all. I think if they would have just done a different set of characters, and made each movie different(like "American Horror Story") it could really have worked. The other had such a great ending that this kind of taints it a little bit. I'm sure some people enjoyed it, and good for you. I'm just hopeful that the next one is much, much better.
familiar s

January 18, 2014
Didn't deliver any chills or creeps, but was okay overall.
Dan S

January 11, 2014
A silly, unnecessary sequel concerning a family who is haunted by the same evil spirits that have plagued them before in the past, only this time it appears that the father (Patrick Wilson) might have become possessed by one of them. While the first film was suspenseful, scary, and well-made, this follow-up is the polar opposite. It is actually unintentionally hilarious, especially the final third of the film which drifts into just sheer stupidity and cheesy dialogue spoken by unconvincing monsters. The shining spot of the movie remains Wilson, who gives an earnest turn as a tortured soul, but it is lost in a film that tries to be "Back to the Future" combined with all of Wan's previous horror films, and the result is a disappointment.
Lafe F

January 4, 2014
As fun as the first movie, but it felt smaller in scope. Where the first one told a full ghost story, this one felt like a small incident. The first seemingly dealt with a whole world of demons; this one narrowed the scope. I liked the early scenes when the ghost was threatening with the baby in the nursery. Gone was Lin Shaye's awesome psychic character whom I loved in the original movie. Back were the same playful duo of psychic technicians plus a new lead psychic old dude who got his messages by rolling lettered dice. The plot had a few nice twists and surprises, plus plenty of jump scares. So, not as extensive as the first movie, but still a fun watch.
Cynthia S

November 27, 2013
Not as good as the first. Once you've seen The Conjuring, you've seen Insidious 2 (and vice versa). The first Insidious really is the only Wan film worth seeing. The back story was not completely bad, however, as it gave you some insight to why the demon was a demon. Much more darkness than the first. Basically the same plot. Lots of ghosts mindlessly walking in, and out, of rooms. The only jump I had was when the title came up. It is so loud!!
Nicki M

December 9, 2013
Not scary. Maybe I need to have seen the first one.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

December 21, 2013
three stars
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 9, 2013
Uninspired sequel to Insidious, James Wan's follow up feels tiresome, boring, and predictable and forced. The first film was genuinely frightening and right up till this year's The Conjuring (also directed by Wan) was one of the scariest horror films that had been released in the last few years. The problem with this sequel is that the scares just don't work, and the film ends up being mediocre. There's never any real sense of fear or dread on-screen, as what we have here is a predictable film that recycles old ideas. The material here is just not there, and it clearly needed to be reworked to make it a much better film. That's the problem with doing a sequel to a great horror film, it will never be able to capture the vibe of the original, and it will most likely copy the previous film. I personally felt that Insidious didn't need a sequel, and the result is a mediocre film that has some atmosphere, but no real memorable jolts like the original pulled. Luckily for James Wan he was able to redeem himself in one year by crafting The Conjuring, a far superior and brilliantly terrifying work of horror cinema. Insidious Chapter 2 just doesn't hold up, and it's a boring film that will disappoint. I really wanted to enjoy the film, but it just didn't cut it. There's only one truly terrifying scene in the film, but that's it. James Wan is a great director in the genre, but this isn't one of his best, it's not awful, but it does fall short on quite a few levels that I can't recommend it. Watch the first film instead, at that film truly had some solid scares. This sequel lacks the scares, and feels forced, as if the filmmakers tried to outdo the original film.
AJ V

September 19, 2013
If you were a fan of the first movie, but wished every strange thing that happened would have been explained, all you have to do is watch this movie. There are a few scares, but this movie was mostly made to engage us in an adventure into the supernatural world. I found that world interesting, but I didn't really care to get that explanation of the first movie.
Carlos M

October 24, 2013
A very efficient sequel that not only maintains the high level of scares found in the terrifying original movie, especially during the first half, but also whose plot structure is so ingenious that it makes up for the poor attempts at humor which are always misplaced.
Cory T

October 23, 2013
James Wan has slowly matured into a virtuoso of horror among the ranks of Dario Argento, John Carpenter and Terrence Fisher. But his eminently eerie helm can only sustain a haunted-house movie with a hermetic script which 'Insidious Chapter 2' is sorely bereft of. The tetherhooks of the original, superlative 2011 movie are less serrated this time around. First of all, the movie topples early with telegraphed ADR looping by Lin Shaye in a 1986 flashback scene that doesn't annex anything new to the franchise. The disquiet has been supplanted with an excursive origin story that lazily splices in footage from the previous film's conclusion. The creaking doors, blinking television sets and autonomous baby toys are rehashed gimmicks from other apparition flicks, but ghost-hunters Specs and Tucker provide offbeat levity (When a poltergeist announces "If she sees you, she will make me kill you", the Abbott-&-Costello-like duo quickly scuttle out of the room without any argument) to the proceedings. For someone as prolific as Wan, 'Insidious Chapter 2' is a retrograde step backwards because it muddles the funhouse scariness with a knotty backstory that resembles 'Sleepaway Camp' and paralytically creepy set pieces (such as a tin-can telephone) that are inexcusably nonsensical.
Apeneck F

September 15, 2013
I didn't see the first film but I did see The Conjuring and couldn't help but feel as if the same motifs were only rehashed, including the ever popular "WHAT'S THAT LOUD NOISE!?! ... oh, it's only a child's toy ..." gag, which gets old by the third and fourth time they do it. There's the "is there somebody in the closet, lemme go check ..." gag, too. A C-grade roller coaster ride at best, and easily forg ... er, what was I talking about? The audience of pre-teens I saw it with seemed happily frightened though.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 16, 2013
A second suspenseful instalment that doesn't disappoint!
Loved the first and loved this sequel, I love how they interlinked them both!
Dr114
Dr114

September 14, 2013
Let me start by saying that I watched Insidious: Chapter 2 twice in one day. The first time I was fresh from just watching the first Insidious. I was prepared. The first Insidious was unoriginal yet awesomely creepy. On the first viewing I was disappointed yet still entertained. I saw it a second time because a group of friends wanted me to come along, so I did. Yet on the second viewing, the feeling of disappointment stuck. Not only is this movie not very scary, it's "scares" are basically a redo of the first movie's. It leads to nothing. But, that's not to say I didn't have a good time watching it. There's still a large entertainment value and some amazingly campy scenes. You can definitely see where they took their inspiration from on this sequel. It's a mix of The Shining, Psycho and The Exorcist. Overall- It's short on suspense and basically goes nowhere, but Insidious: Chapter 2 still had some fun to be had. Letter Grade: C
KJ P

September 13, 2013
It may be far less terrifying , and elements will seem glaringly similar to the first film, but "Insidious: Chapter 2" is a nice wrap up for the events that take place at the end of the first film. There are some questionable moments, followed by some weird acting from a particular actor (who shall remain nameless for spoilers) which seems like terrible writing, until the second half of the film when it all starts to make sense. Like the first, it's clever when it needs to be and the jump scares are definitely there, but only work half of the time. Director James Wan does wonders for the horror genre, in terms of Cinematography, lighting, and set design, but what made the first film so special is just shown again here with not many new techniques. I enjoyed this sequel for what it was and there will undoubtedly be a sequel coming, which I will watch, but I'm not freaking out about it. "Insidious: Chapter 2" has improved performances and a nice enough story to satisfy the fans of the first, but it's ultimately a weaker film all around. Overall, it's a very average horror film with a few clever moments that intrigued me.