20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Inspector General Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
This movie is too silly, so much that it misses the mark with its comedy. Kaye is just annoying.
Sarah P

March 7, 2011
I wasn't really paying attention, but what I saw wasn't great.
October 26, 2008
a pretty amusing film. Danny Kaye's quirky antics are definitely the highlight. can't say the music did much for me, but the overall story was entertaining and the comedic timing was top-notch. not overly outstanding, but it's still an underrated classic.
March 16, 2008
Danny Kaye is in top form here. His enthusiasm has no limits, and this is one of the prime showcases for the performer at his spirited, entertaining best. How I wish I could have known this man. Thank you, Danny Kaye.
bakerstbookworm
March 4, 2008
Yay! This always makes me think of Amanda, which always makes me think of good times! And vice-versa! Arrogant, Elegant, and Smart! That's DK in this movie!
July 10, 2007
Danny Kayes greatest comic performance. After being a disaster of an assistant to a gypsy hoaxing people into buying fake elixer, Georgi (Kaye) is set off on his own and mistakenly thought to be the Inspector General. Fearing for their lives, the towns politicians scramble to cover up evidence and offer every accomodation to the thought to be Inspector. On the other side Georgi fears for his life and tries to excape from the town.
puttputtajm90
June 26, 2007
An amazing Danny Kaye comedy, although in some scenes they try too hard to be funny. Nevertheless extemely entertaining.
Bodominkurja
June 22, 2007
goood good good FUNNY movie. if you're into "Mel Brooks" type comedy.... otherwise you'd probably hate it.... Danny Kaye is an awesome actor.
witchsue2001
January 18, 2007
Another witty Danny Kaye but not one of my favorites. Fun to see him mess up the situations though.
madelineschulman
November 20, 2006
I remember this one -- Danny Kaye is a poor man who is mistaken for the Inspector General of the title. That is all I remember, although I enjoyed it when young.
April 19, 2014
I just had a big grin on my face from start to finish. Danny Kaye at the height of his majestic powers.
July 8, 2012
Though it may not be the deepest or most meaningful film made, it is a ton of fun. Some fun musical numbers throughout. Won't be well remembered as other musicals but this is a delightful film. Danny Kaye will leave your side aching.
June 13, 2012
Love love love it! Kaye at his best. A great family comedy and great for us, to remember our youth when times were still sweet and innocent..
gillianren
July 24, 2011
And That, Boys and Girls, Is Why You Should Learn to Read

I know that no one anywhere else in the country wants to hear me complain, but man, was I overheated today. And so very little of what had come from Netflix or the library was quite what I was in the mood for. Thinking, you see. Actually, I had been talking to Gwen about [i]Captain America[/i] this afternoon, and one of the things we had agreed was ideal in a summer blockbuster was a movie where you could think and didn't have to. And as I have said before, in the summer, I don't want to have to. The idea that I therefore decided to watch an adaptation of a Russian satire written in 1836 is, I acknowledge, a bit surprising. To be perfectly honest, I didn't know it was going in. However, I think that most of the really political stuff must have gotten weeded out, or else Gogol didn't put that much in to begin with. This wasn't quite mindless, but it definitely wasn't as ponderous as you might expect.

Danny Kaye plays Georgi, a peasant who performs in the traveling medicine show of Yakov (Walter Slezak). Georgi is a softhearted, honest sort who tries to convince an old woman that Yakov's medicine is worthless, and Yakov kicks him out. Georgi wanders tired and hungry until he reaches the village of Brodny, where he is arrested for vagrancy. Brodny is a hugely corrupt little town, and they are expecting an inspector to be sent from Napoleon any day now to examine their books. A wacky series of coincidences leads them to believe that Georgi is that inspector. Though he is illiterate, Yakov eventually finds him and inveigles his way in as "the inspector's" assistant. The lovely Leza (Barbara Bates) convinces Georgi that he really ought to help the town. The town leaders want to kill Georgi before he can report their corruption to the emperor. Oh, and there's the little detail that impersonating a government official can be grounds for execution.

It is rather interesting to note that the plot basically revolves around Georgi's literacy, or lack thereof. Had he been literate, Yakov might not have kicked him out. Had he known what the letter said, he might not have used it to patch his boot. (It seems to me that it would be uncomfortable to have the seal in your shoe, but what do I know?) He needs Yakov, when Yakov shows up, because they're all expecting Georgi to inspect the books. He can't even sign his own name. And then, when Leza sends Georgi a note to warn him of an imminent threat on his life, Georgi can't read it. I won't give away what happens, because it's less funny if you know going in, but let us say that it would have been much safer for Georgi had he not had to ask someone else to read the note for him. What's more, it doesn't appear to have been the case in the original play. This is probably in part because literacy rates were much higher in the US in 1949 than they were in Russia a hundred years earlier.

I don't know what it is about Danny Kaye movies. For some reason, he's always totally irresistible to women in them. Now, to be fair, Maria (Elsa Lanchester) is mostly interested in getting out of town and away from her marriage to Kovatch (Alan Hale). She sees someone important like a government inspector straight from Napoleon as a chance to go to court instead of being stuck in a one-horse village with a buffoon. But we all know he's going to end up with Leza. Don't get me wrong; Danny Kaye was a very talented man. He had a good voice, and he was a good dancer. But he was not the world's most attractive man. I'll admit it's been a very long time since I've seen [i]Hans Christian Anderson[/i], but I think he manages to get the girl in that despite how ridiculously out of character it is. One thing the movie industry just doesn't ever seem to have worked out is that comedies don't need romances in them, and they certainly didn't realize that in the forties.

It's kind of odd. I like funny movies, but I never seem to have them in my Netflix queue. Maybe this is because the comedies they recommend to me aren't generally what I consider funny. And it isn't just that I don't like Woody Allen or Judd Apatow. Yes, I started this review talking about how, in the summer, I don't want to have to think. However, I did also point out that I want it to be possible to think about the movie if I want to. As part of my summer tradition, I watched [i]Major League[/i] a while ago, and while it's pretty dumb, it isn't entirely dumb. Even most of the silly throwaway jokes are built on a solid footing. This is true of most of my dumb summer favourites. It's also true that they don't tend to center on bodily functions or the idea that a stereotype will do in the place of actual character development. Yes, Danny Kaye is playing a very silly character without a lot of background or intellect. However, someone--be it Gogol or screenwriters Philip Rapp and Harry Kurnitz--still put more thought into him than just making him fall down a lot or whatever.
January 8, 2011
I love old movies, and this one is particularly funny. If you like Danny Kaye, you will love it.
Daniel H.
March 1, 2009
:fresh: [CENTER]A delightful film with some extra comedy of Danny Kaye. I really did enjoy the ending.[/CENTER]
jazza923
October 22, 2006
This is one of Danny Kaye's best films and showcases his unique comic ability very well. The supporting cast is stellar - Elsa Lanchester and Walter Slezak are particularly good. The musical numbers are very entertaining. A fun film, and a perfect vehicle for Kaye.
lizziebeth-1
November 13, 2005
Danny Kaye's second-best movie after Court Jester(1956)--and the definitive retelling of Gogol.

The Inspector General(1949) is one of those irrepressible classics that have lasted extremely well. Like To Kill a Mockingbird(1961), it only seems to have dated due to the necessary historical atavism; but this scrumptious fairytale is well worth it. Never remade, even as a Danny Kaye vehicle it's almost perfect just the way it is.

Since the plot and comedy are exposes of 19thC provincial corruption and nepotism (ie "provincialism"), the Hungarian Gypsy music is quintessential, making the film the same kind of shrewd reveal of social clichés that Nikolai Gogol's 1842 classic play had been.

Transposing the locale from Russia to Hungary (to integrate with the Gypsy theme), brand new audiences are introduced to the story of a naïve ("Maybe I can't read or write, but I'm not illiterate!") and pointedly illiterate carnival entertainer mistaken for Napoleon's emissary.

Set in early 1800s, the movie introduces us to the Mayor of Brodny, only just surviving at the epicentre of his relatives' personal idiosynchracies. They, naturally, fill all the local public service jobs. Gene Lockhart plays "Cousin Biro" ("biro" in Hungarian means "judge"), the Mayor, with suitably high-strung, twitching pique. The running gag with the twin postmasters (real twins Sam and Lew Hearn) Izzick and Gizzick just compounds his hilarious put-upon paternalism.

Much of the credit for the authentic provincialism is due to Nestor Pavia's cameo, as the Mayor's(?) "Cousin Gregor", the even more corrupt Mayor of Klimenti. His opening whirlwind panic-ride through Brodny sets the early tone. He'd escaped his own firing squad back in Klimenti to alert his cousin. "I must go! Even now he (the Inspector-General) may be here, in your midst!....Oh, how I envy you to sit here in your clean town and fear no-one", he blurts breathlessly amidst gulps of brandy. You almost feel sorry for him--until you see why his cape bulges.

Biro's reaction is more composed, although his officials are in no less trouble. The incognito technique employed by the mysterious Inspector-General will most likely trap them just the same. Brodny only seems less corrupt; its apparent civil obedience is exacted through institutionalised, class-based petty violence. When the Mayor cruelly slaps the Captain of Police(Alan Hale), Henry Koster's adept direction then has the captain start an unforgettable domino-chain of slappings of his own--down all the way to livestock.

Kovacs (only the second Hungarian name) dispatches his police officers to patrol the roads in all directions for anyone who might conceivably be the Inspector-General. That's how we come to discover Yakov Goury's travelling Gypsy wagon gathering townsfolk with some authentically fabulous Gypsy music. (Although these appropriately crude-looking "peasant" musicians may have invented modern beatboxing(!), my favourite is still their lackadaisical cheerleader, the "Hey" guy.)

As part of the fleeceshow act, Yakov's all-singing/all-dancing Gypsy entertainer Georgi(Danny Kaye) must pretend to be both a living severed head, and, for the second half of their show, a sickly young man with a doctor's prescription for "Rix-zz-gelv-knoobtz-f-f-ss-ch-ch-nn-zelminheltzigner......-Twice a day".

This eventually turns out to be their single product, "Yakov's Golden Elixir".....or, on alternate days, the local furniture polish.
Kaye's wife Sylvia Fine, the talented writer/associate-producer behind his fame, again created Kaye's terrific verbal gymnastics lyrics complementing the Gypsy music so well.

Georgi's only trouble is his conscience--a right nuisance for his more ruthless, "dog-eat-dog world" boss. Yakov(Walter Slezak) is a shifty chameleon who, unlike Georgi, can actually read. But undermined by Georgi's ethics for the last time, Yakov brutally chases his frontman away, after the locals--having overheard Georgi's naïve confession to a desperate old lady ("I'm a fake, Yakov's a fake!")--riot.

Homeless, miserable, and hungry, since Yakov nastily took the one fish he accidentally caught, Georgi takes to the road--with a hole in his boot. He soon finds himself in Brodny, but continues to go hungry for several days, due to the corrupt official indifference. Despite Kovacs' orders, he's dismissed by everyone, even by the shockingly crude and crass police officers as a tramp, relaying Gogol's message that all authority resides in the eye of the beholder.

Georgi's starvation cleverly sets up several plot elements: first, his pathos with the offensive cops and the dog, then the confusion over the "robbery" ("Hey! I'm innocent--ask the horse!"), Georgi's outrageous cries in prison about informing the Emperor, and finally, the classic food-hoarding scene at the Mayor's house--the payoff being the gag of what he's offered to counteract his indigestion.

Georgi's short prison stay proves fateful, allowing the officials to discover the remaining half of Yakov's bogus testimonial for Golden Elixir covering the hole in Georgi's boot. Kovacs picks it up, and his eyes literally bulge as he reads: ".....continue in this fine work to rid our land of the many evils that plague it.....Napoleon". Once the Brodny officials "discover" the "Inspector-General" and attire him (repeatedly) in poor Kovacs' uniform, Georgi finds himself fawned over by everyone, especially the Mayor's sexually frustrated and vapid wife Maria(Elsa Lanchester, never better). Only Maria's maid Leza(Barbara Bates) seems to treat Georgi like a real person.

Miraculously, Yakov too resurfaces at Brodny, gawping in the crowd at Georgi. Stunned, but ever the shifty chameleon, Yakov instantly changes gears, adopting a faithful servant's guise. Correctly sensing an opportunity to fleece the desperate Brodny officials, he "introduces"/reacquaints himself, and presses his old frontman into more permanent service as the imposter.

Suddenly Georgi must figure out how to actually be Napoleon's Inspector-General, when all he wanted was a clean getaway. Afraid that "a tear in the eye is worth two in the bush", Georgi debates whether to "be arrogant, be elegant, or smart" in the mirror.

"Talk and you show your ignorance; Laugh and you show your teeth!", sing one of his acapella fantasies, but "if it doesn't work, whose head will they jerk, whose block will they knock off? Not Yakov's"! So, realising he'd be most likely made the scapegoat, Georgi writes Yakov his touchingly illiterate letter of resignation.

However, he must attend "his" own party. Despite his confusion, Georgi's talents as an entertainer afford him some cover as he sings the Golden Globe(!)-winning Gypsy Drinking Song ("Play Gypsy, Dance Gypsy"). He is so cheered up by his reception that he incorporates some choir-rounding into the song: "Now dis graop here, I vill make for you, 'shtok-shtok'.....Very pret-yie, I laove you to pieces"; although Kaye's accent, name, and manner are all decidedly Russian, not Hungarian (artistic licence accounting for the cultural confusion).

His only ally is Leza, Maria's maid, who comes to admire him greatly after Georgi defends her against the family's petty brutality at dinner. In fact, he quickly captures the long-suffering populace's hopes for justice, making the Brodny officials desperate to get rid of him by any means necessary. These include compounded bribery (each official thinks he's the only one bribing him), hilariously unsuccessful suicide (after the chemist's repeated offers to resign), and attempted--but amazingly literate--(wood)chopper.

One of the funniest scenes belongs to Kovacs rationalising his bribery amongst a roomful of already hidden, similar-intentioned Brodny officials: "You see, my wife is not a contented woman......Ah.....I love my family, but I'd give my six kids to get rid of my wife". This attitude to marriage is the only other one, apart from the crude police brutality, that's so jarringly dated.

In a beat even better-employed 7yrs later in Court Jester(1956), Kaye heads off to a midnight rendezvous to, he thinks, elope, when in fact he goes to his doom. The humour of his illiteracy pays off one last time as he gets his slow-reading prospective assassin to read his "love letter" back to him: "Don't go near the barn; they are going to kill you". Luckily, this is a Danny Kaye movie, and the murderous overtones never really scare anyone.

Gene Lockhart has another terrific line as the Mayor, once the real Inspector-General, unavoidably, shows up: "Your Excellency, he took bribes, drank all my wine.....he made love to" (he means flirted with) ".....my wife; how could I possibly doubt that he was the Inspector-General?".

Moral standards have indeed moved on, and gallows humour no longer seems funny--it fails in Westerns, too--except near the end, as the Inspector-General takes the Mayoral Chain of Office from the complaining Cousin Biro: "-oh, we'll put something else around your neck". Here it's funny, in a fairytale sort of way.

There are a few plot elements, however, which surprisingly do not make sense. The sole rider who overtakes Georgi on the dirt road is actually leftover footage from a cut scene. It used to depict "Cousin Gregor" mid-flight to Brodny, so it no longer makes sense. Another is Georgi's tearing of the fake "Napoleon testimonial" in half, supposedly to cover the hole in his boot. The whole letter would've been better padding, but he throws one half away! (The missing half contributes to his mistaken identity.) Moreover, it's difficult to see how any piece of paper would survive dunking in a creek and constant wear in his boot, to remain legible by anybody!

Nevertheless, the movie is a total classic, not only for Danny Kaye's comedy, but also for its well-mounted social satire, unflagging tone, award-winning score, unobtrusive cinematography, and an easygoing ensemble cast who portray Gogol's provincial clichés perfectly. As a farcical fairytale intended for simpler times and more innocent audiences, The Inspector-General(1949) can't really be faulted.(9/10)
MrKrantz
June 14, 2004
Danny Kaye is one of the cinema's most underrated entertainers. In his day he was wildly popular, but he hasn't quite achieved the longevity he deserves. However, he holds a firm spot in the history of great physical comedians, from Buster Keaton, through Dick Van Dyke, and up to Jack Black. Take a look at all of those performers in their prime. The greatest physical comedians have complete control over every part of their body. There's not a movement that is unplanned or errant. And Danny Kaye was one of the best. See his opening number in "The Inspector General". Kaye is the assistant to a con artist played by Walter Slezak. They're selling a bogus medicine, and Kaye begins the performance as just a head on a platter. Then he twitches his ear. Before long he's describing his various ailments, all of which manifest themselves as an extended series of tics, twitters, and twitches. None of them look like they don't belong. Then there are the songs. Nobody could faultlessly let nonsense patter trip lightly from the tongue like Danny Kaye. At one point in the movie, Kaye sings a wonderful song in a quartet. The other three parts are all sung by Danny Kaye. And there's the wonderful gypsy drinking song that just goes on, and on, and on. Which is a good thing because if he ever stops to drink, he'll be poisoned. I'm happy to watch him sing and dance as long as he wants. There's a story here, sure. It's a nice fairy tale based on an old Russian story. Kaye plays a good-hearted buffoon who is mistaken for the Inspector General sent by Napoleon to uncover corruption in a poor Russian village. There's a series of mishaps, a romance, and a happy ending, of course. But the reason you see a Danny Kaye vehicle is for Danny Kaye. Like an Astaire/Rogers movie, or a Marx Brothers comedy, movies such as "The Inspector General", "The Court Jester", and "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" are merely an excuse to watch Danny Kaye do what he does better than anybody else. And that's good enough for me.