Into the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Woods Reviews

September 6, 2010
This is an adult version of fairy tales with music and comedy. I really liked it, but I saw it a long time ago, and would like to see it again.
February 11, 2009
"Stay a child while you can be a child"
A Baker and his Wife have been cursed with a childless marriage by the spiteful Witch next door, who promises only to lift the curse if they journey into the woods to collect four items for her: Jack's white cow, Little Red Riding Hood's cape, Rapunzel's yellow hair and Cinderella's golden slipper... This is an excellent filmed performance of Stephen Sondheim's brilliant musical fairy tale. Because events take a very dark turn in the Second Act, I wouldn't recommend this for small children, unless you're one of those parents who enjoys fielding questions about death, mutilation, adultery and human sacrifice; it's better suited to adults who refuse to grow up. Some of the songs are gorgeous, especially Stay with Me, sung by Bernadette Peters' Witch to her adopted daughter Rapunzel, and No One Is Alone, sung by Cinderella and the Baker to a recently bereaved Little Red Riding Hood and Jack. The most amusing number, and the one that most readily gets stuck in my head, is Agony, in which two Princes Charming argue over whose insurmountable quest for love is the most difficult to bear. I loved every minute of this!
February 5, 2008
Maybe not the best music(some of it is very good) but the story is quite interesting.
February 22, 2015
Bernadette Peters was amazing as the Wicked Witch. This was a great production with some fantastic musical numbers.
½ June 21, 2014
Well that was really overall excessively pleasant, the songs were alternatively funny or beautiful, there were nice messages amongst all the death and such, I found particular enjoyment in the princes and their Agony songs, the acting was very good, I do always like when a witch isn't completely horrible.... I did completely lose it and start crying hysterically but it's not at any point that anyone would've expected or intended, and not anything that would've bothered me a year ago. So. Meh. Minus the half star for the selling of the cow and the wearing of the wolf skin and the cow having to die at all, even if it was resurrected, though Jack's house having been stepped on and demolished I'm pretty sure both cow and chicken had off screen unceremonial deaths.
½ March 19, 2012
"Into the Woods" is not my favorite musical. The music is interesting but the constant change of keys and time signatures makes the entire show feel disjointed. I enjoy Sondheim as much as the next guy but for me, this can't begin to compare with Sweeney Todd and West Side Story. This Original Broadway Cast is spot on, featuring Joanna Gleason as the Baker's Wife and the legendary Bernadette Peters as The Witch. I enjoyed the overall story as the writers reveal what happens after "happily ever after," though it's surprising that they don't hesitate to kill off a bunch of characters. Probably the biggest surprise to me is the amount of the humor in this script, not hesitating to step out of the story to deliver a joke directly to the audience. I typically avoid recordings of stage shows but this version works if you are interested in experiencing the musical. "Into the Woods" is an okay musical... but I like to walk away from a show being able to sing at least one song and this one gives me a headache as I try to weave together any of its melodies.
March 5, 2011
Before seeing Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd (the film version), I saw this play back in the 90s. It is incredibly funny and clever, and gets pretty dramatic in the second act. It remains one of my favorite stage productions I've ever seen. Bernadette Peters is wonderful in it. If you've seen Sweeney Todd you'll probably recognize the familiar music and dark humor.
½ January 16, 2010
A musical more. It's funny and entertaining. It involves alot of the old fairy tale characters and puts them together in a world and under a different light.
April 3, 2009
This is perhaps one of the funniest musicals ever! When I first saw it, I about laughed my head off with the great humor shown. It also has great music. Very very addicting. I loved every moment of it. Funny, sad, happy, it has it all.
½ January 1, 2009
It was this movie that first introduced me to the wonderful world of Sondheim. Into the Woods remains my favorite Sondheim show, primarily because its plot is simultaneously charming and tragic. The original cast does a fantastic job reprising their roles in this video. Bernadette Peters, in particular, is awesome as the Witch. This is one of the best movie musicals I've ever seen - everyone go check it out!
May 30, 2007
definitely interesting and hilarious. Act 1 seems like someone just said lets take Rapunzel, Little red riding hood, Cinderella, jack and the bean stock, a desperate witch, and a couple desperate for a child and mush them together. Second act lets take these happily ever afters and show how they're not, and add pissed off giant, snow white and sleeping beauty just for good measure.
Overall a hodgepodge of stories culminating in one amazing musical.
½ December 15, 2008
Really liked this movie,Okay play.
It intertwined all the Grimm fairy-tales into this one story and it works.Also musical.
So much fun....enjoyed immensley.
½ February 29, 2008
Must see more musicals. Although quite long, it's everything I would want in a musical where fairy tales collide. More for adults than kids. Red Riding Hood makes a new cloak out of wolf skin, Cinderella's Prince gets bored with her and has a one night stand with the baker's wife, Rapunzel has a mental breakdown and goes insane, and even the narrator gets sacrificed to a giant. I really didn't want to send this back to netflix.
½ August 23, 2007
I cannot tell you how much I like watching this. Peters is a hoot, as is the rest of the cast. I love the songs.
May 3, 2007
This was one of those movies I saw when it origionally aired and then forgot about it, perhaps thought it was a self fabricated memory. When I was in high school, I found others who remembered it and when i saw it again, I LOVED it and even ended up performing a song from it.
½ January 2, 2015
This has got to be the worst, most boring, random, meaningless movie I've ever wasted my money on. The music is not memorable. . nor pretty, . . .just random notes thrown together . . .to get some words out. .. ? The ONLY thing I can say about it . is that the singers were good. I'm just amazed at the ratings. . I was so bored. ..They sing constantly! and not good stuff! I'm a singer and musician myself - I just didn't think the songs made sense or were pretty. .or especially singable or memorable. .. Sheeeesh. .. to me it's just vehicle for egos. . . I wished for my money back. The last movie I walked out of was more than 20 years ago. I very nearly walked out of this one, but kept hoping it would resolve into something. It didn't. . .
December 25, 2014
Great for a musical. Funny parts make it more interesting. Chris Pine is a hoot. :)
December 24, 2014
Much, much darker than I was expecting. A beautifully staged and funny exploration of the woods, whatever that may mean (life, sexual awakening, turmoil, death, etc.)
May 27, 2013
One of my all time favorite musicals!
April 8, 2013
Funny, Comical and full of wisdom.