Into Eternity Reviews

½ February 8, 2011
"Into Eternity" is a thought provoking documentary about the excavation of Onkalo, a nuclear waste disposal site buried 500 meters into bedrock in northern Finland. Since it is hopefully meant to last 100,000 years, a lot of thought is given to whether or not some warning should be left. If so, what kind?(Of course, warnings did no good at the pyramids while archaeologists stumble over artifacts everyday.) The documentary takes testimony from officials, along with the lucky guy who gets to blow stuff up for a living.

Aside from speculation about the future which is always good nerdy fun, what "Into Eternity" does well is deliver a very subtle anti-nuclear power message, just beneath all of the debate. Onkalo is just one facility that will take 100 years to be built, just to store Finland's nuclear waste for a century. And then you have the amount of nuclear waste in the world today which is about 250,000 tons that has to be disposed of safely, so there will have to be many other sites like Onkalo which could conceivably be time bombs for people thousands of years in the future.

And if anybody is reading this in the year 100,000, I am so unbelievably sorry about "Jersey Shore." I have no idea what we were all thinking.
April 2, 2015
Documentário sobre um depósito de lixo nuclear construído na Finlândia feito para durar 100.000 anos sem interferência humana. Interessante a maneira misteriosa que o assunto foi tratado, focalizando na dificuldade de prever o que pode acontecer se alguém decidir no futuro abrir o depósito.
½ January 21, 2014
An interesting view on a subject unbeknownst to many. What is the future for our planet , and what is the ramifications of nuclear power ?
October 26, 2013
2/5 I was very interested in seeing this, but it was uninformative and extremely slow. The content that was there was pointlessly stretched for what I am assuming was a time requirement for the budget. This should have been a 15 - 20 minute film that actually should not even have been made until the project was near completion.
February 6, 2013
If our civilization is ever whipped out of this earth our nuclear waste will survive us. Some finish scientist are trying to avoid our most dangerous legacy to destroy what we left behind and a fim maker with superb technique is portraying those efforts. Way more than a documentary: a message for generations to come; and that message says "Win or lose, somebody cared".
December 28, 2012
The main argument in this film is that our current civilization will be wiped out and all of our knowledge of radiation and all of our languages will be gone as well. All lost within the next 100,000 years. Then some future civilization will develop and uncover our nuclear waste, not knowing what it is. No where do they even tell you specifically why the waste is dangerous, only that radiation is bad for you. They hype up this waste like its some sort of boogeyman and if you find out about it you're already dead.

The film is set up as if it were being watched in the future to warn people about the dangerous waste. However it then gives you the premise that every basic science textbook, every internet article on radiation, and all of our current languages are gone. So how would anyone watch or even understand the video?

All im saying is it makes no sense... I suppose im a little biased since I thought this was a documentary on nuclear waste and it turned out to be an environmentalist film using hippie scare tactics.
½ October 10, 2012
I think it makes a good point, but it's so vague I'm not sure
September 21, 2012
The director's tremendous ego nearly ruins this movie, but if you can get past the absurdity of his stupid monologues and various attempts at profoundness, the actual content of the movie is interesting enough to make it worth watching.
½ August 30, 2012
I've never thought that people would think so far for this planet......i mean it's good that they don't want to harm the Earth and try to reduce the radiation , but how can you be sure of what would happen in 5 years......not to mention 50.....
June 19, 2012
what will our future legacy be?
½ April 16, 2012
A very gritty, dark documentary which is presented through the concept of a message to the future. It creates this dark, cold, apocalyptical ambient that terrifies and amazes. And at the same time managing to be tought provoking, while it still remains comprehensible for the average viewer.
March 9, 2012
deep and thought provoking
January 31, 2012
I don't know what the reviewers here are talking about. This is an important and interesting subject, but it's been ruined by the most pretentious, self important, and monotonous film-making I've ever experienced. There's about 10-20 minutes of material here that's been stretched out to 75. It's unintentionally funny at first and then it get's infuriating. By the end of the film I really felt like I wanted the film maker to be personally punished, and I wanted to lodge a complaint to the film festival for selecting this film.
January 16, 2012
Testament to human energy use.
December 2, 2011
an unexpected horror movie
November 5, 2011
Wonderfully shot. Excellent premise. Absolutely brilliant.
November 3, 2011
Very Creatively done....very engaging and profound.....very inspiring stuff!
September 7, 2011
The fact is that truly game-changing technology has been coming at an ever-increasing rate. To imagine that this thing really must last 100,000 years is ridiculous. We have been working on fusion for 50 years - even if it takes another 50 (or 500!) years then we will have more than enough power to rocket all of the waste at Onkalo to the nearest black hole. Game-changing technology will totally alter this entire situation. Just think about how much change there has been in the last 100 years. Now imagine the change in the next 1000 years!! (which you cannot do actually) This thing does not need to survive 100,000 years. Duh. The problem of this waste will be solved within a couple centuries if not decades. The alternative is to destroy our environment with greenhouse gases - a problem much harder for future generations to deal with than a few mega-tonnes of nuclear waste.
½ February 6, 2011
Creepiest reality horror film ever!
July 26, 2011
Haunting and thought-provoking, this documentary raises issues with nuclear power - and the impermanence of our culture - that we tend not to think about. This movie makes a better case against nuclear power than a thousand statistics. But even if it avoided politics, it would still be required viewing for anyone who has ever wondered what the future will bring.