• R, 1 hr. 40 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Ira and Abby Reviews

Alice S

July 29, 2012
Another win for Jennifer Westfeldt. In disagreement with friend and Flixster reviewer, Jim Hunter, I think the group therapy session is the most amazing scene in the movie. So many overlapping arguments and grievances aired. I especially love Ira's line that criticizes Abby's penchant for people-pleasing, "It's hard being married to someone who's married to everyone."
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

June 1, 2011
A couple quickly falls in love and marries, and then they have to deal with the ramifications.
This film is remarkably uneven. It is often jaunty and farcical, but there are moments of true pathos that demand we take the action more seriously than we had been prepared for. There is also great truth in the moments when, for example, Seymour says, "It's impossible to ever truly know anybody." But immediately after we get a ridiculous scene involving everybody's therapists and people carrying on ad infinitum. The primary eponymous story offers some fairly charming moments, but the supporting stories often have little to do with the main action and only distract from the people we want to care about.
The performances by Chris Messina and Jennifer Westfeldt (especially Westfeldt) often make their outlandish characters believable, and by the end of the film, I wished I knew them better and got to spend more time in their presence.
Overall, there's a lot to like about Ira and Abby, but not much to like about Ira and Abby because the film as whole suffers from too much business and not enough substance.
Jennifer X

April 28, 2011
I'm at least glad to know that somebody is filling in for the psychoneurotic Jewish dilettante while Woody is off parading himself in Europe doing god-knows-what. This movie largely succeeds due to Jennifer Westfeldt, who plays Abby with such au naturale the role seems made for her. The supporting Jewish cast feels like a return home to my favorite genre in the world, so much that I'm willing to forgive Chris Messina for being such a complete jerk.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 19, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]In "Ira & Abby," Ira(Chris Messina) has spent the last six years of his life working on his doctoral dissertation on psychology.(Both of his parents(Robert Klein & Judith Light) are psychoanalysts.) After twelve years of therapy, his analyst can do nothing more for him and is dumping him. Unable to make up his mind about lunch, Ira at least knows that he wants to be in better physical shape, so he wanders across to a gym and fills out a member application. 45 minutes later, he wants to leave but that is when Abby(Jennifer Westfeldt, who also wrote the screenplay) shows up to give him a tour. Six hours later, they are still together, so she does the sensible and responsible thing and proposes marriage...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Ira & Abby" is a misguided and insipid romantic comedy that seeks to mine the material and chemistry that results from two polar opposites coming together but both lead characters are so unappealing and underwritten that it is impossible for any spark to occur. For example, if Abby whose main characteristic is that she is a good listener is this drawn to every man she meets, then why isn't she less lonely? However, there is some truth expressed late, especially on the subject of marriage and why it should it not be a decision made lightly. But basically the film is just content to take its shots at the psychoanalytical profession. Yes, we all need someone to talk to but there are also cases that definitely require a professional touch.[/font]
Fascade F

July 17, 2011
Don't know how I missed or passed this one up..but it was simply hilarious. To me, Ira Black (Chris Messina) plays the part of the perfect neurotic "schlepper" in this movie.Ira was so bad in relationships that his own psychiatrist doesn't want to see him any more...after being with him for 12 years! He advises Ira to go out and find himself. As Ira neglectfully does so and meets Abby (Jennifer Westfeldt who is a rare gem in this film!), at a gym. They meet and greet but Abby has some amazing plans to do more than meet him....introduce him to her parents.The two wind up getting married so early that the penalties for not waiting are huge. This turned out to be so radically whimsically funny that everybody winds up in therapy!!! Please see this classic hysterical romance!
William G

October 12, 2007
A plethora of neuroses cannot replace legitimate humor or heart.
Sunil J

February 7, 2008
I watch this now whenever I have a bad day because it cheers me up to no end. Abby perhaps outshines Sam from Garden State and I enjoy Ira's paranoia.
judithdesiderio
August 16, 2009
One of my all time favorites! Other than slight over use of the f-word, its fabulous. The story is realistic and a great contrast to chic-flicks and fairy tales. Jennifer Westfeldt is an incredible writer. Judith Light and Robert Klein are especially well matched. The scene with all of the therapists and analysts in a circle is absolute perfect meshuga.
gms1yygy
May 22, 2008
Love, marriage and neuroses in a "slightly subversive romantic comedy" with an amazing cast of characters (both the actors and the "interesting" people they portray).
Hamee
January 29, 2008
Pretty freakin' awesome in that everyone is insane way. The family is full of psychiatrists and they all go to a personal psychiatrist and in the very end all the happy family shrinks get together for a pow wow to help resolve problematic marriages. Not your typical chick flick but I loved the quirkiness!!!
flixsterbum
January 30, 2008
Cute, funny movie about love, marriage, and neuroses in New York. Might not have worked quite so well, but this one has a very talented ensemble including Judith Light, Robert Klein, Fred Willard, and Frances Conroy, to name just a few. And Jennifer Westfeldt is just about the cutest thing ever, so it's a bit easier to suspend your disbelief that one would take the plunge with her so quickly and so often.
Nukleopatra
January 1, 2014
It wasn't easy getting through 100 minutes with these people.
Matty Stanfield
November 27, 2013
Silly and predictable, but the chemistry between Westfeldt and Messina is strong enough to keep you watching. Enjoyable.
October 23, 2013
The film brings into light the complexities of people, relationships, and love. Its well fitted cast and witty screenplay dispels any cynicism.
June 21, 2013
Messina and Westfeldt are great. Good, fun story.
May 23, 2013
It's a wonderful movie!!
March 31, 2013
Crazy, if not cute, movie
March 5, 2012
one of my absolute favorite movies. charming. it reminds me a lot of annie hall (which is an overwhelmingly lovely comparison).
June 29, 2011
Highly recommended! And I'm good at recommending things, trust me. (and Rotten Tomatoes)