71% Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Iron Man Reviews

John M

May 4, 2008
This was one of the best super hero movies ive seen yet. Robert Downey
Matthew Samuel M

June 4, 2014
Without a dull moment, Iron Man is a triumph of an action movie due to great action sequences and an excellent, charismatic performance from Robert Downey Jr.
garyX
garyX

December 1, 2007
Playboy and weapons manufacturer Tony Stark is captured by terrorists and builds a robotic suit of armour to escape. When he returns to find his company has been selling its arms to the bad guys, he sets about making things right. Iron Man was the first comic I bought as a kid, and I must say the big screen version really does do the character justice. Robert Downey Jr. does such a great job as Tony Stark, within 10 minutes I couldn't imagine anyone else playing the part. The suit looks fantastic and has a really cool manga-esque functionality about it. The action sequences are also really well staged, especially Iron Man's first "mission" in which he returns to take out the terrorist cell who imprisoned him, Iron Man coming across a super-cool, updated badass version of Robocop. The only real weakness of the film is the predictability of the plot; there's little here I hadn't seen before. The idea of a millionaire using military technology to go vigilante was covered by Batman, and it lacks the dark tone and intelligent psychology of Batman Begins. The comedy aspect involving his learning to use his new "powers" was very reminiscent of Spiderman, and the climactic battle bears more than a passing resemblance to the final battle of Robocop II. It also lacks a really strong villain, Jeff Bridges coming across as a kind of less charismatic version of Lex Luther. But one thing it most definitely is, is entertaining. A tried and tested formula executed with real panache.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
This was really not half bad. Nice effects and good acting on Downey's part.
KJ P

January 10, 2010
Having one of the most admirable backstories in the history of Marvel Studios, Iron Man comes out on top as an explosive action film that has so much heart. It has been a long time since I have had many great things to say about a superhero film. Robert Downey Jr. kills it as Tony Stark, while the character alone sells himself. The visual effects are very impressive and the acting by the entire cast is great. This is a superhero film that anyone can become invested in. As far as super heroic scripts go, this film is superbly written and jaw-droppingly entertaining at the same time, and I admire Jon Favreau for directing such a fantastic feature. Sure, there are times that it can be a pretty cheesy and the film may seem to get old after a few times of viewing, but first hand, this film is downright phenomenal!
Phil H

May 4, 2008
I admit, I was expecting this to be dreadful but I was wrong, its amazingly very good. The usual obvious creation/start up storyline of course with everything you tend to expect when a superhero legend begins. The first thing that hit me was the suit, its sex on a stick for sure! it looks so so damn cool. The way it attaches itself to Downey and locks in place, the HUD display in the helmet, the weapons on the arm sections, its fantastic, finally there's a competitor to the Stormtrooper armour.

This is what I wanna see for the next 'Robocop', but with a more violent tone of course. This movie shows what can be done if done right, how 'Transformers' could have looked, its very impressive indeed. Not only are the actual Iron Man suits extremely well made for real in certain sequences, but the CGI is top notch in other outlandish sequences.

I'm no fan of CGI I won't deny but even this shocked me, I fully expected this film to look bad, obvious, plastic and fake, but bugger me if the CGI wasn't fudging amazing! best damn CGI I've seen in ages, I loved the new shiny looking suit effects but I loved the battered, scratched, used CGI effects even more. It could of been so easy to keep everything looking nice sparkly and new, but like Star Wars the used universe works wonders and a beaten up Iron Man suit looks brilliant.

The first action scene where 'Stark' gets back at the terrorists that captured him is excellent, really action packed and gets you right into the action and wanting more. You really get behind 'Stark' as he powers the terrorists through walls and takes them out with tiny missiles, superb intro to the suit with an awesome and highly grounded action sequence (wouldn't blame you for thinking any action was gonna be hokey).

The finale battle with bridges character is a little silly and kinda loses that realistic feel, really goes into the comicbook realms and almost looks a bit like 'Transformers' at times *shudders*. Its still handled well and of course looks excellent, much better than Bay's robot film as you can actually make out what's going on. Plus its not too over the top, it just about remains reasonably sensible...well as sensible as a comicbook action flick goes anyway.

The cast is also spot on for once, Downey is great as 'Stark', his humour is dry, witty, sarcastic and does raise a giggle for the older audience members. Bridges does look powerful and evil as the bald villain, he has that deep thick voice which serves him well, didn't see quite enough of him being evil here. Paltrow was also OK, a little annoying with her screams all the time but I guess that's what heroines do in these type of films.

There were a few bits I didn't get too well, when he's captured by the terrorists he makes his initial suit very quickly, a little too quickly maybe. At the end he refers to himself as 'Iron Man' but this is never mentioned throughout, it just pops up at the end which is weird. Why does he tell the world he is Iron Man at the end? did he make up the name there and then? and why does he show the injury on his chest with a circular glow? surely that just asks for trouble. Maybe these are things you know if your a fanboy. I would like to ask for no more bloody Stan Lee cameos, jesus...yes you made up the characters, we get it, get of your high horse already.

Anyway, yes this was a great fun film for everyone to enjoy. Still very surprised it turned out so well and with such good looking CGI! would have laid money on this being a childish, poor looking mess. For once I am looking forward to a sequel.
Christian C

April 13, 2013
Just a fun film. Robert Downey, Jr. plays an interesting hero.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 8, 2010
Jon Favreau's Iron Man is a terrific and highly thrilling superhero action film. This is a brilliant film with a stellar cast and a well crafted plot. Robert Downey Jr. is perfect in the role of Tony Stark, and he brings charm to his performance, which really makes it unique. The film is packed with memorable action that reinvents the genre after many bad movies such as Daredevil and Cat Woman. This film brought the genre back in top form, and is certainly one of the best recent superhero films. The appeal of the film lies in the performances, the choice of actors], story and well crafted action. Favreau's direction is terrific and he is able to craft something highly engaging from start to finish. Where other superhero films have failed, Iron Man has succeeded. The aspect that stands out the most about the film is the action that is well executed. This is a must see action film that is among the finest superhero films in the last ten years. Along with Nolan's Batman trilogy and a few others such as V for Vendetta, The Avengers and Watchmen, this one is definitely worth checking out and is sure to deliver the thrills that you'd expect from a well made movie. This is a near flawless film that I really enjoyed from the first moment on, and if you're looking for an outstanding film, then this one is the one to watch. What makes this one work is the well thought out script and the varied talent involved in the project. An aspect that I really enjoyed was seeing Jeff Bridges as the villain, it was nice to see him playing a different type of character this time around, and he really did a great job. Iron Man is not a perfect film, but it manages to a well structured superhero film that proves, that when it's done right, the end result is an impressive and memorable picture that will delight comic book fans.
cosmo313
cosmo313

September 12, 2009
This was the first entry into Phase One of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it is pretty solid and very fun. One of the better comic book adaptations out there (for the superhero genre), this is a great look at Billionaire Tony Stark who goes from war monger to crime fighter after a brush with death and a spell in captivity.

All involved do some really good work, but the film is not worthy of being nit-pick free. Favreau is a decent director, and shows he's capable here, but as an action director, he is okay, but needs improvement.I liked how they started planning out a multifilm universe and franchise here, but as a result, the film doesn't work 100% as a stand alone film. I think it may have been better had they not done so much telegraphing, but as I said, they need to be praised for their ambitions. The writing was good overall, with a nice belnd of humor and pathos, but the last fight scene was underwhelming. Also, they could have done more than just allude to Stark's alcoholism, but at least that will give something major to look forward to in the future. On the plus side, Downey Jr. is perfect for the film, especially since the character has a lot in common with his own personal life. I loved the elements of redemption and humanity and penance.

All in all, a rocking good time.
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 3, 2008
Robert Downey Jr plays Tony Stark a billionaire weapons manufacturer, who is kidnapped and forced to build weapons for the bad guys. Instead he builds himself a suit of iron to aid his escape. Good cast. Excellent graphics. Love the cars! Ironman is so cool.
Josh L

April 21, 2008
Iron Man man is smart, fun, and has an edge to it that most superhero movies lack. Robert Downey Jr. was basically handed the role of his lifetime as Tony Stark and he blows it out of the water. He's simply marvelous. Jon Favreau does some great directing here. The humor is really funny without taking away from the serious issues the movie is talking about while the action & special effects are some of the best. Everyone involved took a B list superhero movie and made it an A list hit.
Eugene B

August 12, 2012
A technological-ingenious film for comic and non-comic fans alike. Favreau's gritty use of CGI along with action-packed depth helps bring this hero to life. With the help of the newly-revived and phenomenal star, Robert Downey, Jr. 'Iron Man' is a captivating movie that leaves an impact on Marvel and all comic-book movies ever. 5/5
Tyler R

January 16, 2012
2008 was obviously a big year for superhero movies. We had great ones like Iron Man and The Dark Knight and then there were average ones like Hancock, but for now, I focus on Jon Favreau's Iron Man. In Iron Man, philanthropist Tony Stark is kidnapped and held hostage by a terrorist organization called the Ten Rings. Stark discovers that they are using some of the weapons he manufactured so he decides to escape by building a giant suit of armor he can fit in. When he's free, he realizes what his weapons have done and decides to "Protect the people I put in harm's way." My first area of praise goes to Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, he absolutely nails the role. He's the perfect choice and I doubt if anyone else could play the role better than him. Also, seeing Stark work on his tech and build the Iron Man suit is some of the collest stuff the movie has to offer. He has a whole bunch of technology that would look awesome to own and just shove in Apple's face and say "I don't need an iTouch, I have this cool touch screen thing that can design all these weapons and make the Ipod touch look like a calculator." When Tony Stark gets in the suit and he's flying around and blasting bad guys, it's just so much fun to watch. The part where he's flying from the F-22 Raptors is just all kinds of badass. The special effects are great; Iron Man flying, the final fight scene, seeing terrorists get blown away are extremely well done. Another thing I liked was the character development of Tony Stark, he starts off not really aware of what his weapons have done, but he eventually realizes the effect they have and that is his motivation for building the Iron Man suit. The story is perfectly paced and it's just awesome from start to finish. It set the groundwork for set up to the Avengers and it starts off on a high note.
Christopher H

June 13, 2011
The casting of Robert Downey Jr. as the lovable eccentric billionaire Tony Stark was absolute genius casting. Aside from summer action spectacle, the heart of the film is watching Tony Stark rebuilding himself as a person from a playboy weapon's manufacturer to a, well, a playboy philanthropist. Not only is "Iron Man" a slick, funny, and exciting action summer blockbuster, but it is also a touching character study. Despite a rather weak villain, "Iron Man" stills comes out strong as one of the best superhero movies around.
EightThirty .

November 30, 2007
02/05/2012 (DVD)
Everett J

April 25, 2012
"Iron Man" is probably the coolest of all the "Avenger" characters. Tony Stark(Robert Downey Jr.) is a playboy, millionaire who is the heir of a weapon manufacture company, Stark Industries. While overseas giving a demonstration of a new weapon, he comes under attack and is held hostage. While held captive he creates a suit of armor to help him escape. After his escape he then perfects and enhances the suit and creates "Iron Man", and basically becomes a superhero. Downey is absolutely perfect as Stark, he's basically a cooler version of Bruce Wayne. He's cocky, arrogant, smart, funny, and he even has a stripper pole(with strippers) on his private plane. He's pretty badass. The rest of the cast is fantastic. Terrance Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Jeff Bridges help mold the movie into not a standard super hero movies, but something special with substance. "Iron Man" has staying power, and after 5 years, continues to hold up. I loved number 2, and can't wait for "Avengers", mainly because of Stark. If you like superhero movies, action movies, or if you loved the Iron Man comics, then you will love this amazing movie.
Kev
Kev

February 7, 2012
Grade: A+ (98%)

Once the credits begin to role, you start to look back at Robert Downey Jr.'s humor, the awesome actions sequences, and the creation of this machine. After a while you begin to wonder how a comic book could be transferred into such a great movie. I only say this because Jon Favreau's "Iron Man" is one of the best comic book movies ever made.

Tony Stark (Downey) is the CEO of Stark Industries that was created by his father before he passed. He begins to create power assets like stop-on targeting systems, missiles that separate into mini bombs, and weaponry that is beyond advanced. After testing out his new missile, Tony and his Marine guards are ambushed and Tony is taken by terrorists after being badly wounded. After a painful surgery, his life is saved by a doctor who places a battery into Stark's chest to keep him alive. It's not long after that that he begins to create his biggest machine of all, the Iron Man suit.

The story is simple enough to keep us intrigued throughout the movie's run time. When Stark is not creating or improving upon his suit, he is flirting with famous people, seduces reporters and tries to improve his relationship with Virginia "Pepper" Pots (Gwyneth Paltrow). He is also fighting with his assistant Obadiah (Jeff Bridges) and what to do with the company.

When Stark is in the Iron Man suit, the movie feels like an intense action film. These scenes are beautifully set. Whether it is an intense fight between Iron Man and hundreds of enemy soldiers, or a game of cat and mouse with two jet planes "Iron Man" never ceases to amaze and keep the audience on edge.

The action sequences are great enough to make you see this film but Robert Downey Jr.'s overall performance should be the main attraction. As Tony, Downey gives it his all by nailing the comic relief and making the audience love him. He is absolutely fantastic as Tony Stark.

You don't have to be a comic fan to love this film. "Iron Man" gives the audience what is wants: a main character that is funny but serious enough be the protagonist, amazing action sequences that keep the audience on edge, and an amazing performance by Robert Downey Jr. to keep the audience interested throughout. "Iron Man", as I said before, is one of the best comic book films of all time and deserves to be watched by all audiences.
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
IRON MAN was certainly enjoyable, but it was not what I expected.

Most superhero films--especially those adapted from comic books--are straightforward, get to the plot, no nonsense whatsoever. This one, however, took a different route. As soon as the film begins, we hear "Back in Black" by AC/DC playing loudly in the background. This surprised me, because usually in the superhero genre, you hear an amazing theme made especially for that particular film. But this was rock music! Shortly after that, Robert Downey, Jr. appeared formally, dressed like a businessman...but he was cracking jokes. Umm...???

That's the way it continued through the whole film. Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just think the new take on the superhero genre was a little more quirky than original.
michael e.
michael e.

October 24, 2010
Many regard this as one of the greatest superhero films of all time, I wouldn't nessecarily go that far. Granted it is a good movie, but its not that good to me. I never heard of Robert Downey Jr. before this film so I'm happy that this film introduced me to him, and he did a fantastic job with this film, being a arrogant know it all, but smart person. The beginning of the film is like some of Jon Favreau's films, it has something not explained start the film and then they explain it right after. Jeff Bridges also does a fantastic job as the main villain, being a friend to Tony, I thought that added a lot of good reasons to have his butt kicked when he betrays him. I also have to say, for a film thats 2 hours it flies by pretty quick, sure the beginning is kind of slow, but once it gets moving, oh boy does it go fast, and the action and comedy make sure it doesn't feel like a film that is just for spectacle.