The Italian Job Reviews

½ July 11, 2007
Cool and slick, with a decent cast to deliver the goods, this heist caper is less about the steal than about the tension between the characters working the grab. The audience I saw it with audibly gasped when the twist showed up early on.
May 14, 2007
Fun and enjoyable.
July 10, 2010
Remake of the 1969 film, The Italian Job, this film is a good heist film that could have been much better. The film is entertaining, but lacks anything truly great. The heist itself seems all too easy, and personally; I felt that the heist in original film was far more exciting than this. But I felt that this came off a little flat. The film is good, but it's nothing really remarkable. The cast are fun, but to be honest, I really didn't like Edward Norton here; I felt that this was one of his weakest films, and that I thought that the part should have been recast. This film, compared to the original, can be seen as a pure popcorn flick. I felt it lacked the intellectuality of the original, the wit and suspense of the heist and phenomenal, top-notch acting. With this remake, everything is predictable, and they just changed a few things around to make it "thrilling". This remake isn't bad, I was entertained by it, and like it, but compared to the original, and it's not as good. For what it is, this is still an entertaining film; just don't expect anything as great as the original. As far as remakes are concerned, this isn't bad, but it's not great either. This film is just a case of been there done that, but I guess in the end, it's good for a mindless night of excitement, which it does well. The film does have plenty of thrills, although the plot is predictable and we know how it will end. Despite its flaws, I enjoyed it, but I'll stick with the original. If you enjoy heist films, then give this one a shot.
September 18, 2010
A heist movie that is highly entertaining with fun performances throughout. A good time.
½ September 6, 2011
A fast paced joy ride with plenty of action and excitement.
Directors Cat
August 10, 2011
this is one of the worst excuses for a film i've ever seen. I'd barely call it a remake and i'd vomit if I had to watch this again. The original film is a classic this runied it.
December 26, 2010
An exhilarating action-packed movie that is quite satisfying for what it is intended to be: an exciting, fast-paced fun ride with a good dose of humor and benefiting from a great cast and the beauty of its locations, especially Venice.
August 15, 2011
The Italian Job is an exciting heist film that I really enjoyed. the story is is vengence film, but it worked in a way that we get to know the characters and grow to also like them, and so I enjoyed the story. They have a all star cast here with actors like Jason Statham, Mark Wahlberg, and Edward Norton and they were greatly picked for their roles. The chase scenes are fun and great and are also the main reason to watch the film. Although the movie was slow, The Italian Job is one of those heist films you can't help but just enjoy.
½ July 21, 2011
'The Italian Job' is a film that seems like it should have felt a little corny, but it never did. The performances were fun and well-done, each added with a certain hint of comedy that made the overall result much more entertaining, and its well shot, even if the script doesn't always feel top-notch. Satisfying movie that almost anyone can appreciate, as long as you ignore the unoriginality and the borderline cliches.
July 18, 2011
This film was made to sell tickets, pure and simple. It has plenty of guns and explosions and everything the average viewer wants to see in an action film. It's fun to watch. But is it a good film? Hardly. The plot, though intriguing, is rushed and incomplete. The scripting is stale, clichà (C), and boring. The film's fun derives itself only from the plot's intriguing nature. Everything else about the film is weak and distracting. Yeah, people love this sort of film. From a critical perspective, however, the film is poor.
June 24, 2011
One of my all time favourite films. Great heartpounder! A must see!
½ January 1, 2010
The only thing that makes The Italian Job a remake is the fact that it showcases the maneuverability of mini-coopers and has a heist taking place. This is a great thing, due to the fact that the original is so flat. This has so much more to love and it's just ridiculously fun to watch. This amps up the characters, story and visuals to a degree in which you find yourself in heist movie heaven. It mainly takes the basic atmosphere of Steven Soderbergh's Ocean's 11 and fits it for the plot and characters; so it's basically impossible to mess up. Mark Wahlberg does a great job as usual, showing off his brute skills and tough talking attitude. This has him more calm, which actually results in him appearing more intimidating to his enemy. Edward Norton basically makes for the slimiest of villains, mainly because he has zero remorse for killing his mentor and goes out of his way to screw over his best friends. Charlize Theron, Jason Statham, seth Green and Mos Def make for one impressive supporting cast that make this have a lot more heart and character moments than it needed to have. While The Italian Job isn't necessarily presenting a new style, it's just a genuinely good movie that's so much fun and highly re-watchable. It never has a dull moment and you're always glad to see these characters interacting on screen.
September 3, 2006
Coolest competent Hollywood remake with the excitement Minis (in red, white and blue, naturally) chase than the original 1969 crime caper.
The opening speedboat chase through Venice's twisty canals is fun. But the characterisations are leaden, as the supposed romance between Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron.
December 13, 2010
It really bothers me when the actress is taller than the actor. No matter how manly the actor is, his height makes him puny and girly beside the actress. I don't know whether Charlize Theron is really taller than Mark Wahlberg. But she did looked taller than him. But anyway, that's my perspective so no offense.
This movie was awesome. At first, I was confused about their plan but it came out brilliant. The ending literally made my jaw-dropped for pretty long time (a fly could have a long trip in my mouth). Though Edward Norton didn't seemed to fit his character that much. But he wasn't that bad either.
½ November 16, 2010
February 5, 2008
The Italian Job is a remake of a 1969 film starring Michael Caine.. Mark Wahlberg plays Charlie Croker, the protege of master thief John Bridger played by Donald Sutherland. John is looking for one last big job before he retires.
thought the chase scenes were great~! and loved charlize theron in this one.
½ March 17, 2007
After the successful heist of a safe full of gold bullion, Charlie Croker and his crew are double-crossed and left for dead leaving them swearing revenge on their ex-comrade. So this is The Italian Job? Marky Mark and a bunch of Americans driving German made minis through Los Angeles? THE ITALIAN JOB?? Well, now that's out of my system, what we obviously have here is a bunch of Hollywood studio execs looking at the success of Ocean's Eleven and saying to themselves "I want a piece of that action!" In fact it is far more a remake of Soderbergh's movie than the original Italian Job, with the usual mix of nicknamed, wise-cracking stereotypes planning a robbery in the usual Hollywood style. It's all very familiar and generic and the presence of Charlize Theron as the token love interest and Ed Norton as the moustache twirling evil back stabber just serve to remind you that they are above this kind of thing. Even the car chase is an anti-climax. As a whole it's not terrible, but it's a bit like ordering a full English Sunday roast with all the trimmings and getting a corndog.
July 7, 2010
Wonderful beyond belief! This film has been casted perfectly, structured perfectly and could not have been changed for any reason in any way. The premise has been created by a pure genious, and executed to the T. The rival, plots, action scenes, and destructions are astonishing and would make anyones jaw drop. Amazing blend of mystery, suspense, action, thrills and comedy to sooth any sweet tooth at the movies. This movie dazzles amazing entertainment.
June 9, 2006
I think I liked this just a tad more than I liked the original. Maybe it's because I'm more in tune with the newer film's modern sensibilities. Honestly though, there's not a whole lot that's really the same between the two save for the name, the use of Minis, and a few little details. This tone here isn't as light, but there's a good deal of humor to be found. That it works well with the slick action and the caper elements is proof that F. Gary Gray and the writers have some talent. I mean, I've seen some of Gray's work before, but here he proves he actually has skills and isn't just a flah in the pan. The plot isn't so complex that it takes multiple viewings to get, but it's unwise to get up during a screening of it. The cast are good, each brining something to the table, wilth all offerings being acceptable. For a breezy and fun film that entertains, and has a bit of cleverness to it, you can't go wrong with this one.
½ January 30, 2007
It's a real steal. Crime has never been this much fun. A wild, clever and totally cool movie. A stylish, smart, energetic, frequently funny and hip thriller. Plenty of neat tricks and treats. It's full of spectacular action and excitement that dose not let up. The chase sequences are some of the best ever filmed. A truly exhilarating, slick, brilliant and full-throttle excitement rush. A non-stop joy-ride that you cant get enough of. Total complete fun that never lets up. A great and sensational cast, they all play their characters wonderfully with great energy, charisma and great chemistry together. Just sit back and enjoy this rush. A sharp and well-crafted remake that's better than it's original film. A heist film that has it all. It has plenty of action, suspense, humor, stars and a wicked soundtrack. A tremendously entertaining movie. A thrilling and adrenaline-pumping action-packed flick.