• R, 1 hr. 28 min.
  • Oscilloscope Laboratories

It's a Disaster Reviews

Spencer S
September 10, 2014
There are have been many independent films coming out that feature a rag-tag group of friends hashing out their issues in an enclosed space, a la bottle episodes of TV shows. Unlike those films, this film correctly edges humor in its characters, and also explores really interesting and thoughtful issues. The characters are unexpectedly fun to watch and their reactions to the end of the world are exceptional and downright laughable. Cross entertains throughout, but especially at the end, Ferrara is perky but negative towards the outcome, Hayes and Miller have superb chemistry as a separated married couple, and Stiles' remains shamelessly self-serving, a radical idea to the other characters. It's possible that the adorable ending also pushed me into liking this film, as it was unexpected. It's great to see a film be okay with not resolving everything, not tying up its character development into a little bow and yelling, "Done!" Of all the indies I've watched lately, this one actually surprised me, which is hard to do.
Cynthia S
June 25, 2013
Average at best. Not bad. Not great. Barely a chuckle from me...
LWOODS04 LWOODS04
April 13, 2013
Funny and quirky are the two words to best describe this movie. I really liked it. I loved the odd banter and all of the unique characters. I also liked the way it was filmed. It's not a movie that looked like it took a lot of effort to create. It kind of made you feel like you were a fly on the wall and a part of the story. I would definitely watch this again.
YodaMasterJedi YodaMasterJedi
June 10, 2013
four stars!!!
Alec B
½ June 28, 2013
I think the characters might be too realistic for this to totally work (the dialogue is pretty blase for the most part), but I still rather liked the intimate little apocalypse on display here. Stiles and Cross are great in this.
DA Z
June 22, 2013
In a year full of large-budget apocalyptic films, it is amazing to watch a consistently hilarious film like It's a Disaster succeed at the same concept with only a fraction of the budget. This black comedy is brilliantly written, depending on its wit and fantastic cast to create awkwardly enjoyable storyline about a group of friends coming to terms with their untimely fate. Despite a plot that's becoming somewhat generic, It's a Disaster is always clever and satirical. Every single actor has a moment to shine, with ingenious dialogue and character development that only becomes more entertaining throughout the film. Todd Berger officially has my attention, and I cannot wait to see where his work goes from here.
Lane Z
½ June 2, 2013
A very well-casted film. Witty dialogue. A black comedy with a few recognizable faces in Stiles, Cross and Ferrera. It doesn't get too bogged down in the character's connections with one another so the depth of the film is lacking in the brief 90 minutes of screen time. Everyone gets ample time to say their side though, and it's easy to see how one could associate with at least one of the cast members' characters. The great thing is, every once in a while, and more often than not, you're going to giggle and chuckle at the things that comes out of these characters' mouths, which is enough for me to watch this nicely-done low-budget comedy.
Brad S
½ August 19, 2013
It's A Disaster is a very dark comedy that stands out from most these days. It's razor sharp dialogue and perfect comedic timing by the actors and filmmakers make it a thoroughly enjoyable watch. For some reason however, I just don't feel like it's going to be remembered by many, myself included. It's unjustifiable, because it is quite funny, but it seem like a film that will stand the test of time. In spite of that, see this movie! ~ B
Sylvester K
April 14, 2013
It's a Disaster is an amazing ensemble comedy that shows a good film does not need to have a big budget. 4 couples arrived in their monthly brunch at one of their houses and discovered they are all under-attacked by an unknown terrorism in the form of chemical weapon, chaos ensures as each of them deals with the situation in different ways. I love most of the characters and the witty script. It's a great black comedy, we need more films like this.
JT K ½ December 9, 2013
Nimble little indie comedy that gets a boost from an able cast and snappy script. Maybe a little too quirky for its own good, but whatever the shortcomings (especially a less-than-successful final act); the mis-steps are ultimately buffered with an amusing scene or turn of events.
Hamee Hamee ½ August 19, 2013
The cast was great, the story was rather unconventional, and the ending was awful. In the end I wish I had skipped this one, but I just had to stick it out to see how everything ended for these zany couples.
Thomas A ½ August 8, 2013
"It's a Disaster" is an excellent dark comedy that presents so much comical elements even amidst an apocalyptic. Though the film-making is surprisingly simple (the actors really never show up anywhere else other than inside their cars or the house), the use of foreshadowing of failed climax and the gloomy-yet-heavenly classical pieces aired on repeatedly on the emergency broadcasting system (such as Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Ave Maria) makes it a perfect example of how an armageddon movie does not have to have millions of dollars in CGI budget.
Kevin L April 1, 2013
This is my favorite movie. It just random. SPOILER: The whole movie took place in a house and that was funny and random. 5 Stars!!
Colson V January 26, 2013
Painfully awkward at times, painfully real in others. It's a Disaster is a perfect movie. Funny for the cynics, emotional for the romantics, chaotic for the destructive, and all around perfectly well done for the appreciative.
Chris N ½ February 27, 2013
That ending - WHAT?!?!?
Corgi P October 1, 2014
Totally underrated. Only $57K in the box office? Wow.
Spencer S