Jack the Bear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack the Bear Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
December 27, 2007
what a terrible film
now danny devito is brilliant and its a pretty decent filkm if it was just kept to having a dad who clearly is dipresses becuase of the loss of his wife so he turns to drink so the elder brother then fills as though hes got a lot o his shoulders as he has to look after the house and his brother whilst trying to convince his dad it will get better and tey can move on and be a happy familar now that would have beeen a really good heart warmiong movie with a pretty decent storyline but they bring in a caracter which is played by gary sinise who is a veteran and a bit of a weirdo who is a racist and clearly has issues and his character is just so pointless and makes the storyline so much more confusing as your thinkning well wht did e have to do with it all! so its watchable but really should have been better
iLeo
December 25, 2007
Great movie! Love the music in this film!
½ April 25, 2014
Danny Devito plays a man who is the host of a kid comedy kid show as his job, and is a father to two sons at home. Although he always good intentions and you can tell he is as good man, his temper leads to the most tragic events that take the most toll on his oldest son Jack. The story is portrayed from the point of view of Jack who views his father as drastic as a funny clown to a dangerous monster. Jack the Bear is a powerful family film that shows how quickly life can change from being on the top of the world, to the dark abysses of fear and hatred all due to the fact
there are so many external events in life that you cannot control.
March 17, 2014
Great movie! It will have you in tears by the end. The music is fantastic and the actors even more so. This film is a Diamond in the rough and should be added to anyone's movie collection. My only issue is we spend so much time on one subject that we don't delve deeper as to why exactly certain events are happening.
July 3, 2008
Since the tragic death of his wife in an automobile accident, John (Danny DeVito) has been raising his two sons, Jack (Robert J. Steinmiller) and Darian (Miko Hughes), by himself. Many of his neighbors consider John to be the perfect parent, but drinking too much brings out his dark side. Jack the Bear tells the story of John and his sons during the Fall of 1972 in Oakland, California, where the delicate balance of a family already hurt by tragedy is jeopardized by the actions of a neo-Nazi (Gary Sinese). The role of John Leary is a good one for DeVito, a character with many dimensions: bereaved spouse, good-time dad, local TV host of the nightly monster movie show, problem alcoholic. The story is told from the perspective of 12-year-old Jack (Steinmiller, Jr.) who's old beyond his years. At the outset, Jack's voiceover informs us that this is a story about the year he learned that monsters only reside within ourselves. His younger brother Dylan (Hughes) plays an adorable three-year-old scene stealer.
½ May 27, 2008
Jack the Bear is a really good movie. I didn?t watch the first half hour so I?m kind of lost with the plot. But it was good. Gary Sinise makes an amazing creepy ass neighbor
½ May 17, 2008
This was really cute. Miko is adorable when he's little. And the part where Norman comes into the house is so freaky.
½ April 14, 2008
An uneasy mix of comedy, tragedy and drama. The film doesn't seem to quite know what direction it wants to go and takes on more than it can handle. The acting is good by everyone, and it is watchable, just not always fully interesting.
March 19, 2008
recently widowed father with a alcohol problem and his two young sons move from New York to the California suburbs during the early 1970s and find themselves coping with hardship, adolescence and frightening incidents which occur in the neighborhood.rent it
January 12, 2008
I had no idea what this movie was about when I first saw it. I thought it was simply going to be a cute kids movie about learning to love your quirky next door neighbor. I should have known better, as Gary Sinise always plays evil so well. It was a little scary there at the end but everything ended up ok. I enjoyed seeing a young Reese Witherspoon!
December 20, 2007
What starts as a kind of Wonder Years story, turns very dark and literally falls apart in the end. Yes it ends happy, but the dark elements of child molestation and murder came out of nowhere with a Gary Sinise character that should have elicited sympathy, but instead turns nazi and child kidnapper.

Even with the flaws of the story and script, Danny DeVito turns in one of the best performances of his career. Instead of being the dirty little hard drinking scumbag he became known from his Taxi days, he is a likable dad character just trying to get by with his two sons after losing his wife in an automobile accident.

Favorite scene: Jack (Robert J. Steinmiller Jr.) sneaking up to his father bedroom to watch his dad's late night horror show.
½ October 2, 2007
The film's episodic nature tends to undermine its impetus and the final quarter seems tacked-on, almost like it belongs in some other movie. In short, it suffers
June 10, 2007
A tragic film wrapped in a comedy. Danny Devito's best performance of all time, a very pleasant surprise. The film is remarkably unknown.
March 8, 2007
I fell in love with this movie when I was young, and it still remains one of my favorites. Danny DeVito's best acting of his career, you truly feel his depth in this.
½ December 19, 2004
Starring: Danny DeVito, Robert J. Steinmiller, Jr., Miko Hughes, Gary Sinise, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Reese Witherspoon.
Directed by Marshall Herskovitz.
Written by Steven Zaillian.
Rated [b]PG-13[/b] (for mature thematic elements, some violence and brief strong language).
Running time approximately 1 hour 39 minutes.

Danny DeVito shows a softer, less manic side in [i]Jack the Bear[/i] delivering one of his very best, most heartfelt performances. Sure, the story is purely conventional (the mother, having died, always in mind as the father, an alcoholic, takes care of the two devastated sons), but I found it to be truly effective. If there's any way you can go the last five minutes without shedding a tear, I applaud you (actually, I'd call you an insensitive little jerk, but that's okay). This is a good film; one that could have been great. [b]*** (out of ****) B[/b]
November 14, 2004
Love this Movie!
It's about a family coming to terms with the reality of their lives. Imperfect as it is, wrong decisions and all. This was a movie was originally intended to star Jack Nicholson, but due to a scheduling conflict, it was never meant to be.
Remarkable performances from the young cast : Meko Huges, and Robert Steinmeiller. Danny Devito is terrific! He plays a complicate man who has to almost lose everything before he realizes, whats important. The subject matter is a bit of a downer, but its that much more inspiring in the final third act. Pay close attention to the James Horner music score, it is really a classic!
April 8, 2015
It's a shame DeVito's best performance is in a bad movie.
½ August 1, 2014
Well acted drama about a child and his family trying to live with the loss of the mother in a new neighborhood and survive a run-in with the neighborhood psycho, played by Gary Sinise in a role he would elaborate on in Ransom.