45% The Other Woman Apr 25

Jacob's Ladder Reviews

flixsterman
flixsterman

January 7, 2009
This is good psychological horror toying with the possibility of being great psychological horror. It never quite gets there, but it comes very, very close.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 15, 2011
Jacob's Ladder is one of the best psychological horror films that I have seen. Supported by a great cast, Jacob's Ladder is a creepy film. A man suffers from hallucinations after returning from the Vietnam war. The film is haunting and powerful and is a different type of horror film that blends elements of the supernatural. Jacob's Ladder is a superbly crafted film that is one intense ride through one mans conscience. Superbly acted by Tim Robbins, Jacob's Ladder successfully makes the audience uncomfortable as we see the main character, Jacob Singer go through these eerie hallucinations. Jacob's Ladder is an accomplished film with a powerful story and a strong cast. The film is not your typical horror as it is a psychological horror film. The films delivers the chills it promises and the story is well developed with well defined characters. Overall this is solid filmmaking Adrian Lyne has crafted the psychological horror film to see. This film is far better than any other genre film that came after it and it delivers a creepy vibe that you won't easily forget. Jacob's Ladder is the film that defined the term psychological horror, and it does it by delivering something an audience has never seen before. Jacob's Ladder is a film not to miss. This is one of Tim Robbin's best performances along with The Shawshank Redemption. Jacob's Ladder redefined and reinvented the horror genre, and by watching it, you'll understand why.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

February 2, 2009
A Vietnam War veteran (Tim Robbins) starts seeing demonic faces and hallucinating, while at the same time some of his old army buddies are turning up dead. He becomes paranoid that the Washington brass are hiding a secret revolving around the day he was wounded as his squad was slaughtered in the field. Psychological drama is worthwhile due to some intense hallucination sequences, but the film would have benefitted from more misdirection in the early reels to make the big revelation feel like a climax instead of an anticlimax.
Aditya Gokhale
Aditya Gokhale

July 27, 2010
If movies rife with lurid and surreal imagery interest you, then "Jacob's Ladder" should be on your must-see movies list.

This, seriously creepy, dark psychological thriller, directed by Adriane Lyne is a work of hallucinatory brilliance, and also one of his best, yet criminally underrated.

Jacob Singer(Tim Robbins) is a Vietnam War veteran who lives in New York City with his girlfriend Jezebel(Elizabeth Pena). We soon come to know that he was married but is separated from his wife Sarah. Jacob lives a seemingly normal life, and keeps visiting his friend and chiropractor Louis (Danny Aiello) from time to time. But this supposedly usual scheme of things seems to take a scary turn when he starts seeing bizarre things around him. He cannot tell whether those things really exist or are merely a hallucination. He also keeps having haunting visions of his war experience and the memories of his dead son and former wife. Little by little, he realizes that he is slowly losing his grip on reality...

"Jacob's Ladder" has a beautifully bleak atmosphere throughout that is essential for the story being told. Jeffrey L. Kimball's cinematography further strengthens this quality of the film. The war sequences from Jacob's memories are shown in a colour tone distinct from the present.

Maurice Jarre's chilling background score also sets the perfect mood for this film.

Adriane Lyne directs brilliantly, considering this is his first and only film in the genre. He packs in some spectacularly ghastly, disturbing imagery that is certain to give other so-called horror flicks a run for their money. Wish he would make more films like this.

Tim Robbins, familiar to millions already, gives one of his finest performances in this film. The growing confusion about the mysterious on-goings around him and his gradual slipping away into insanity are wonderfully portrayed by the talented actor.

Supporting actors do a great job as well.

Elizabeth Pena is great; it is strange one doesn't see much of her.

Pruitt Taylor Vince, Jason Alexander, Danny Aiello, Matt Craven and Ving Rhames appear in small roles but deliver very impressive performances.

Do watch "Jacob's Ladder". It is an unforgettable ride through hell!

Highly recommended!
Richard C

June 24, 2010
good, scary movie. B+
Anthony L

September 18, 2009
Creepy psychological horror with a great cast and great acting.
arashxak
arashxak

October 10, 2007
"The most frightening thing about Jacob Singer's nightmare is that he isn't dreaming."
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
Absolutely unsettling and mind-blowing.
Nani V

December 2, 2007
Freaky!
thefog1331
thefog1331

September 18, 2007
Other than some eerie visuals this film has nothing else to offer. Well, except a headache. I was mildly intrigued with the LSD angle but once it hit it's vapid "twist" I was so through with it.
Summer W

September 3, 2007
warning: when the movie ends you may not know what just happened. Stylish, creepy and sad.
Lafe F

August 1, 2007
A surreal and creepy journey through one man's post-Vietnam madness. It's an eerie thrill ride, with great allusions to Heaven and Hell. Very well done puzzle of a movie which puts the viewers through his turmoil. It's intense viewing.
Cindy I

May 21, 2007
Cool visuals, but I was never sure what it was supposed to be. But then maybe that's the idea. It's something different for everybody.
Drew S

January 23, 2007
The plot feels kind of unfair. I felt almost robbed by the ending because the story up until then had been SO interesting, and it gets one really convenient wrap-up? Lame. So yeah, needless to say, I hated the ending.

I do wish I'd seen the Director's Cut, but this was more than enough Jacob's Ladder; I enjoyed what I saw. Tim Robbins is great, and there's something very immersive about his acting - he has this odd ability to make you empathize with him. I kept thinking to myself "Jesus, what would I do if I was in his situation?", especially when he was going through tough times. Acting aside, the atmosphere is very rich and different - I love the stark horror of the scary scenes and the quiet, pastel coolness of when Tim Robbins isn't being tormented.

Enjoyable film with a good message...war is hell. Yes indeed.
deano
deano

December 10, 2006
Creepy dream sequences and a script from Ghost writer Bruce Joel Rubin still can't prevent the feeling that we're somehow having our legs pulled.
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 16, 2006
Very creepy, unnerving and surreal psychological thriller. Worth repeated viewings.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

December 13, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]In "Jacob's Ladder", Jacob Singer(Tim Robbins) is a Vietnam Veteran who is now an overeducated postal worker living in Brooklyn. He has been having disturbing visions on the subway.(Nothing out of the ordinary there but some of the visions are terrifying enough to include Macaulay Culkin...) He is specifically recalling being wounded in Vietnam. He does not know if he is losing his mind, suffering from drug induced flashbacks or something much worse...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Jacob's Ladder" starts out well but then cannot decide which direction to go - supernatural thriller or socially conscious drama. It is not really as creepy as it could have been. And after having resolved the main mystery, the film just comes to a halt. [/font]
stevetheman1236
stevetheman1236

August 15, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed it until about an hour in. Then I started to get bored. One thing that was great about it was Adrian Lyne's direction, which was great, and the use of the body horror technique.