Jacob's Ladder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jacob's Ladder Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 7, 2009
This is good psychological horror toying with the possibility of being great psychological horror. It never quite gets there, but it comes very, very close.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 15, 2011
Jacob's Ladder is one of the best psychological horror films that I have seen. Supported by a great cast, Jacob's Ladder is a creepy film. A man suffers from hallucinations after returning from the Vietnam war. The film is haunting and powerful and is a different type of horror film that blends elements of the supernatural. Jacob's Ladder is a superbly crafted film that is one intense ride through one mans conscience. Superbly acted by Tim Robbins, Jacob's Ladder successfully makes the audience uncomfortable as we see the main character, Jacob Singer go through these eerie hallucinations. Jacob's Ladder is an accomplished film with a powerful story and a strong cast. The film is not your typical horror as it is a psychological horror film. The films delivers the chills it promises and the story is well developed with well defined characters. Overall this is solid filmmaking Adrian Lyne has crafted the psychological horror film to see. This film is far better than any other genre film that came after it and it delivers a creepy vibe that you won't easily forget. Jacob's Ladder is the film that defined the term psychological horror, and it does it by delivering something an audience has never seen before. Jacob's Ladder is a film not to miss. This is one of Tim Robbin's best performances along with The Shawshank Redemption. Jacob's Ladder redefined and reinvented the horror genre, and by watching it, you'll understand why.
366weirdmovies
½ February 2, 2009
A Vietnam War veteran (Tim Robbins) starts seeing demonic faces and hallucinating, while at the same time some of his old army buddies are turning up dead. He becomes paranoid that the Washington brass are hiding a secret revolving around the day he was wounded as his squad was slaughtered in the field. Psychological drama is worthwhile due to some intense hallucination sequences, but the film would have benefitted from more misdirection in the early reels to make the big revelation feel like a climax instead of an anticlimax.
June 24, 2010
good, scary movie. B+
arashxak
½ October 10, 2007
"The most frightening thing about Jacob Singer's nightmare is that he isn't dreaming."
FilmFanatik
December 24, 2007
Absolutely unsettling and mind-blowing.
½ December 2, 2007
Freaky!
thefog1331
September 18, 2007
Other than some eerie visuals this film has nothing else to offer. Well, except a headache. I was mildly intrigued with the LSD angle but once it hit it's vapid "twist" I was so through with it.
September 3, 2007
warning: when the movie ends you may not know what just happened. Stylish, creepy and sad.
August 1, 2007
A surreal and creepy journey through one man's post-Vietnam madness. It's an eerie thrill ride, with great allusions to Heaven and Hell. Very well done puzzle of a movie which puts the viewers through his turmoil. It's intense viewing.
May 21, 2007
Cool visuals, but I was never sure what it was supposed to be. But then maybe that's the idea. It's something different for everybody.
½ January 23, 2007
The plot feels kind of unfair. I felt almost robbed by the ending because the story up until then had been SO interesting, and it gets one really convenient wrap-up? Lame. So yeah, needless to say, I hated the ending.

I do wish I'd seen the Director's Cut, but this was more than enough Jacob's Ladder; I enjoyed what I saw. Tim Robbins is great, and there's something very immersive about his acting - he has this odd ability to make you empathize with him. I kept thinking to myself "Jesus, what would I do if I was in his situation?", especially when he was going through tough times. Acting aside, the atmosphere is very rich and different - I love the stark horror of the scary scenes and the quiet, pastel coolness of when Tim Robbins isn't being tormented.

Enjoyable film with a good message...war is hell. Yes indeed.
deano
December 10, 2006
Creepy dream sequences and a script from Ghost writer Bruce Joel Rubin still can't prevent the feeling that we're somehow having our legs pulled.
cosmo313
August 16, 2006
Very creepy, unnerving and surreal psychological thriller. Worth repeated viewings.
Paris S.
September 17, 2015
One of the most beautiful films ever put to print. Jacob's Ladder is American surrealism in motion, but the aesthetic is not quite supported by its story. There is so much potential here for a true masterpiece, but what we're given, though wholly entertaining, comes just shy of striking distance. The cast is very consistent as is the direction, but the plot offers so much unfulfilled brilliance that what we're left comes out as slightly underwhelming.
Harlequin68
½ December 13, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]In "Jacob's Ladder", Jacob Singer(Tim Robbins) is a Vietnam Veteran who is now an overeducated postal worker living in Brooklyn. He has been having disturbing visions on the subway.(Nothing out of the ordinary there but some of the visions are terrifying enough to include Macaulay Culkin...) He is specifically recalling being wounded in Vietnam. He does not know if he is losing his mind, suffering from drug induced flashbacks or something much worse...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Jacob's Ladder" starts out well but then cannot decide which direction to go - supernatural thriller or socially conscious drama. It is not really as creepy as it could have been. And after having resolved the main mystery, the film just comes to a halt. [/font]
stevetheman1236
½ August 15, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed it until about an hour in. Then I started to get bored. One thing that was great about it was Adrian Lyne's direction, which was great, and the use of the body horror technique.
September 30, 2010
Ok so i had very little knowledge but when Brad and I came across it along with Christian and Alecia at Walmart late one night, I knew this would change soon. We had just ate a nice dinner and decided to randomly go to Walmart, which happens all the time, to see if there was anything of interest. I picked up a few dvds and sometimes we look through the 5 dollar bin just in case...i mean we found Hook there after all. Well Bradley and i discovered this GEM there and i figured it was only 5 bucks and it is supposed to have had great influence on the Silent Hill video game series...so let's do it. In fact the second we got back to my house we put it in.
Ok so this movie is wonderful. It's not some random movie where people run around killing people...those movies have their place...whereas this movie is a psychological masterpiece. Don't get the idea you are going to have random things jump out at you to scare you or that everything is actually happening...it's not one of those movies...you have to actually think about what is going on and try to interpret everything. In the end though if you are willing to actually think during a movie (GASP!!!) it will be much more rewarding then just watching someone kill people or whatever the case is. The story takes place in a man's mind...Jacob's mind. It's where it begins and ends.