Jane Eyre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jane Eyre Reviews

jjnxn
September 11, 2010
Solid version of the book is more comprehensive than any film version but is a little too leisurely paced to be compelling. Timothy Dalton does a good job as Rochester but the edge of menace that Orson Welles gave the character in the famous film version is missing.
July 11, 2011
Ties for number one on my list of Jane Eyre adaptions, right with the new BBC Masterpiece version, both mostly because I felt they hit Rochester dead on and kept most of the story intact.
April 7, 2014
THE absolute best Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester of them all. Clark /Dalton have absolute chemistry that i can't believe can be denied. I appreciate keeping with the way Charlotte Bronte wrote vs. the rephrasing for modern intellects like some adaptations may be forced to do.
October 20, 2012
very good true to book.
August 8, 2012
love Timothy Dalton,he is Mr Rodchester....enough said!
May 10, 2012
I've always loved this version of Jane Eyre!!! It's so close to the book in every way I can think off & that is the best recommendation you can make for any movie / tv show based on a book! I love Timothy Dalton as Mr. Rochester, he does it perfectly in my opinion! I could go on & on about how much I liked this!
March 18, 2012
watched on netflix as close to the book as you can get
January 14, 2012
The best adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's book ever! I love Timothy Dalton in the roll of Mr. Rochester and the other characters were superb! It has become a beloved favorite for me just as the book.
½ September 25, 2011
I am no familiar with the story (until seeing this), so I can not speak for the adaptation. However the filming style, costumes and acting were overall cringe-worthy. There were moments of really good acting though, however I felt they were too few to merit this a great film. It is not a version of this story that I would watch a second time.

I did not enjoy the story, sorry Brontė. The sadness on top of more sadness and despair was just too much for me. I hope that the more modern adaptations can pick up the audience better.
September 8, 2011
I think it was a nice choice for the lead actress.
August 28, 2011
I tried watching this one and just couldn't get into it. There are many better versions so passing on this one won't be a problem.
July 11, 2011
March 14, 2011
Wonderfully low production, but it's still easy to get caught up in the world and the story.
½ January 30, 2011
best adaptation i've seen yet! there were only a few seens omitted but it never comprised the story. timothy dalton was the perfect mr. rochester! loved this
November 8, 2010
Just love movies in this time period and love Timothy Dalton excellent actor and sexy as well :)
jjnxn
September 11, 2010
½ August 24, 2010
Although this version started off slow (I suppose they needed to since there was 11 half hour episodes to fill), it did closely follow much of the book which was great! At first, I didn't like the principal actors who portrayed Jane Eyre (Zelah Clarke) and Mr. Rochester (Timothy Dalton) because they smiled too much and was better looking than how they were was described in the book. I had likened Jane to Charlotte Gainsbourg stoic portrayal of her and favored William Hurt's brooding Mr. Rochester, but eventually Dalton and Clarke's rendition of the characters won me over and I liked their versions as well. This was really awesome because it stuck so close to book-- trimmed a lot of unecessary part but kept all the really important (I thought) and essential parts. It's an instant favorite!
August 16, 2010
This is my all time favorite adaptation of jane eyre the novel. it's quite long but you really can't get enough. love the fire and passion that is between jane and edward.
August 12, 2010
I'm giving two stars simply because it follows the book so accurately. The problem with 80's adaptations is that they followed the books too accurately. No matter what, an adaption of a book should always differ in some way. It's like the screenwriter thought "Well, this is an easy job, I'll just make them read the book out loud and that's it!" Because of this adaption, I almost didn't read the book!