Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

September 11, 2010
Solid version of the book is more comprehensive than any film version but is a little too leisurely paced to be compelling. Timothy Dalton does a good job as Rochester but the edge of menace that Orson Welles gave the character in the famous film version is missing.
amandarent
July 11, 2011
Ties for number one on my list of Jane Eyre adaptions, right with the new BBC Masterpiece version, both mostly because I felt they hit Rochester dead on and kept most of the story intact.
April 7, 2014
THE absolute best Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester of them all. Clark /Dalton have absolute chemistry that i can't believe can be denied. I appreciate keeping with the way Charlotte Bronte wrote vs. the rephrasing for modern intellects like some adaptations may be forced to do.
Amy H.
September 25, 2011
I am no familiar with the story (until seeing this), so I can not speak for the adaptation. However the filming style, costumes and acting were overall cringe-worthy. There were moments of really good acting though, however I felt they were too few to merit this a great film. It is not a version of this story that I would watch a second time.

I did not enjoy the story, sorry Brontė. The sadness on top of more sadness and despair was just too much for me. I hope that the more modern adaptations can pick up the audience better.
mcbirdie
June 11, 2007
[size=3]This may very well be the greatest, most romantic movie of all time. It is very nearly a requirement that you spend at least one rainy weekend watching this film, all curled up with a box of tissues. There is no shame for crying at this movie. At least, I hope there isn?t. Because?you know. *cough*[/size]

[size=3]The BBC version of the Bronte classic is the best, in my humble opinion, and the truest to the book. Also, it is very hard to beat a little bit of dashing Timothy Dalton. The story of a plain looking (and this version does the best job of giving you an actress who really does look plain?you rather think that if you had a chance to give her a bit of a makeover, you might hit ?almost pretty?, but she definitely not the ?take off glasses for Instant Stunning? that you get with the other versions), yet strong, intelligent and independent woman winning the heart of a gorgeous, witty, independent man is the dream of most plain girls. I know it was mine.[/size]

[size=3]Clocking in at nearly five and a half hours, though, it is a commitment. This is not a casual affair, but a long term relationship?prepare yourself with snacks, a turned off phone, and tissues. It is more than worth it, though, and definitely a classic to keep.[/size]