—— Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The January Man Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
I re-watched this recently, and I just had to lower my rating for it, it's worse than I remembered it. The story is predictable, cliched, and none of the characters are very interesting, especially the main guy played by Kline, who can't act. The rest of the cast is good, but they don't get a good script to work with. I did not like this movie.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 14, 2009
Wretched writing and poorly directed. I can give you six good reasons why this film should have been a hell of a lot better: Kevin Kline, Susan Sarandon, Harvey Keitel, Danny Aiello, Rod Steiger and Alan Rickman.
Byron B

June 4, 2008
Some barely coherent political cover up subplot kept me from getting hooked by this movie. Kline plays the funny central character who marches to the beat of his own drum. He isn't exactly welcomed when he returns to being a detective to catch a serial killer. Aiello plays the captain of police who butts heads with Kline's character. Rickman plays a quirky artist-type friend of Kline's. Mastrantonio wants the mystery solved because she was close to one of the victims, wants out from under the thumb of her father the mayor, and falls way too quickly for Kline's charms. The way the killer is tracked down is offbeat and while the movie has some good moments I found it strange that all these characters were thrown together in something so disjointed.
Sunil J

February 27, 2009
Another overdone serial killer movie.
spaulsson
spaulsson

February 9, 2009
One of the most uneven films I've seen in recent years. The cast and acting is amazing, the story interesting and a few scenes are fantastic. Then, when you least expect it, comes the scene where everything is flawed and you wonder if it's the same movie, or the same director. Many scenes are 5/5 stars and several scenes are 0/5. I did like it so the grade still represents a film that is both watchable and recommended.
Christopher B

April 9, 2008
Alright thriller, but no where near a great one.
May 12, 2014
One of best and funniest comedy thrillers I have ever seen.
April 6, 2014
An indescribably bad movie, but fascinating in a 'what-the-fuck-were-they-thinking?' sort of way. A star-studded ensemble cast is basically thrown away on a confusing, pointless story.
August 5, 2013
I normally enjoy Kevin Kline but this movie was probably the worst movie I actually paid money to see with some expectations. A horrible script wasted the talents of Kline, Susan Sarandon and Harvey Keitel. By the way, the editing of the movie was so bad that a boon mic can be seen.
horse c.
June 24, 2012
It could have been much better with a better script and some tightening of the plot
October 29, 2012
It's not in the same league as: 'Lethal Weapon' or: 'Beverly Hills Cop' but it is still an enjoyable film, (with a great theme song).
October 3, 2011
After watching a few minutes of this movie on cable, I checked the reviews for it on my iPad, and they were hostile. Fool that I was, I still kept watching and now am infuriated for the precious hours I wasted on it.

This movie doesn't know if it wants to be a drama or thriller or romantic comedy, and it mixes these elements in an arbitrary and ham-handed manner. I respect and love all the actors in it, but I'd like to kill the writer and producer. (Now THAT would be a thriller with a happy ending.)
peter w.
April 11, 2011
1/4

This is all over the place, I dont know what to call it. But its sure isent a great movie.
January 17, 2011
A waste of a lot of good actors, in particular Alan Rickman
January 7, 2011
The script is simple, yet somehow scattered,which leads to an incoherence these actors rarely face. Never the less, the simplicity is enough for us to remain strangely enthralled and Kline is as witty and snide as ever, and the supporting roles blend with him nicely. Watchable
January 2, 2011
I just saw this on TV by chance. I thought it was a great little movie despite the critics and reviews. Cool!
Monsieur Rick
November 5, 2010
Something about this off beat crime drama, comedy and sometimes romance flick that just doesn't click in the first half. But with the last victim in a series of murders the movie settles down to intense action.

A Norman Jewison directed film, famous for a number of films like Moonstruck, Agnes of God, The Russians are Coming The Russians are Coming, In the Heat of the Night, etc. However, sadly this film is not anywhere near the quality of those.

Kevin Kline, Lt. Starkey, a witty guy is a re-instated policeman brought back by popular demand. With the help of the Mayor's daughter and a 1989 NEC computer with arcade like software, the team determines where the criminal will strike next.

White haired Rod Steiger is the Mayor with a few scenes in the start of the film are typical Steiger. Fun to see him again in action.

The artist friend of Kline is none other than our Professor Slitherin from Harry Potter land.

Not the total disastor reflected by the RT rating, its an ok experience but not much more. Catching the criminal serial killer is where the action starts. The rest is at times amusing.

Cast
Kevin Kline (the re-instated cop)
Elizabeth Mastrontonio (the girlfriend and mayor's daughter)
Danny Aiello (chief of police)
Harvey Keitel (brother of Kline)
Alan Rickman (the artist, [Harry Potter professor Slitherin)
Rod Steiger (the Mayor)
Susan Sarandon (married, old flame of Kline)

Crew
Set Decorator : Gary J. Brink
Associate Producer: Christopher Cook
Art Director: Dan Davis
Composer: Marvin Hamlisch (famous movie composer)
Director: Norman Jewison